Unable to remove bolt from eaton pulley

jshababy23

Established Member
IMG_3895.JPG
In the process of putting on a metco 4 piece idler kit and swapping to a metco 2.80 upper pulley. I'm trying to remove the bolt from the center of the pulley, which I believe is a billetflow pulley, and it's not budging.

I currently have the belt off due to swapping the other pulleys.

I wrapped the old belt around the pulley then held it together with a vise grip. I tried holding the belt and holding the pulley while trying to loosen the bolt and had no luck. I ran the belt down below the idler pulley to
Add some leverage and also hit the bolt with some PB blaster with no luck.

Anyone have any tips or tricks for me?

Picture included for reference. Thanks!

KLLR SNK

Established Member
Strap wrench, air impact, heat. If you don't care about the pulley put a pipe wrench on it or stick a couple bolts in the upper or lower bolts and put a bar between them for leverage.

Last edited:

SnakeBit

Mid-Life Crisis my ass!
Established Member
Put a pencil torch on the bolt head. Then put a wrench on it. It may have lock-tite red. That REQUIRES heat to remove.

SnakeBit

Mid-Life Crisis my ass!
Established Member
If you do wrench the head off of the bolt, here's my tip for removal. If you have a broken tap, put it pos a drill, then when spinning, put it on the side of a grinding wheel and sharpen the stub to a point. Keep water nearby to keep quenching the tap so you don't lose it's temper.

If you don't have a broken tap, you can use one that is either worn down from use or never gets used. Larger taps work well, but smaller taps are better when space is tight.

Since the tap is hardened, it will grip the end of a broken bolt. Heat the bolt sub up with a torch, then tap the sharpened tap with a hammer to rotate the bolt. I have personally used this method to remove a lot of broken bolts. We broke taps fairly often, so there was no shortage of supplies.

jshababy23

Established Member
Thanks guys I ended up getting it by wrapping the old belt around the pulley, clamping it then running it below one of the other idler pulleys and holding it tight. Now I can't get the old pulley off using a Metco pulley puller, but i made a new thread for that. I really appreciate all the input and helpfulness I've had from SVTpeformance over the past couple days.

Users who are viewing this thread