Ultimategto.com chooses '05 Mustang

realsmith

Wally World or Bust
Established Member
It seems that GTO fans are outraged at the car that Pontiac is trying to pass off as a GTO. Oddly enough, slapping an LS1 in a Cavalier (I mean Monaro) does not make it a GTO.

So ultimategto.com has an '05 mustang as their cover car. Everybody seems to be excited about the Mustang concept, Ford should knock a home run with this one.

2F2F

[2 F]ast [2 F]urious
Established Member
> realsmith: Ford should knock a home run with this one.

They will ;-)

AzDropTop

Established Member
Originally posted by realsmith
It seems that GTO fans are outraged at the car that Pontiac is trying to pass off as a GTO. Oddly enough, slapping an LS1 in a Cavalier (I mean Monaro) does not make it a GTO.

So ultimategto.com has an '05 mustang as their cover car. Everybody seems to be excited about the Mustang concept, Ford should knock a home run with this one.

that GTO they came up with is just plain terrible.

2F2F

[2 F]ast [2 F]urious
Established Member
I saw the GTO @ the LA Convention Center...I was left unimpressed...

davidmax

Established Member
I believe the car will evolve,I just hope Pontiac is still in BIZ and doesnt follow Olds.Dave S.

mrgto

1st off, as far as that so called SVT Engineer Coletti said it was a Cavalier. Sorry Jonny, the Monaro is a bit more than a cav.

2nd. It is a stop gap car. We all know how well Retro did for the T-Bird and what it is doing now for the Beetle and PT Cruiser as they languish on lots. You can't just build a car from scratch in 18 months, just doesn't happen. The GTO will be Monaro based for 2-3 years while the '06-07 GTO's(which will be based off the CTS Caddy SIGMA chasis) gets it's own sheetmetal and will be built in the states.

3rd, it has dual exhaust, it just exits on one side.

4th, the car is going to weigh 3600lbs and have 350hp/365 ft-lbs of torque.

5th, a GM engineer told the head SLP engineer that the GTO is better in EVERY way over the old F-body.

Anything else you all want to know? Oh, It will get the 400hp LS6 in '05 with Ram Air and hoodscoops and did you hear that the V-Series CTS LS6 powered car recently smashed the BMW M5 lap times at Nurburing in Germany? hehe. What's Ford have to counter that? Guess you also didn't hear that Ford wants to do what GM is now doing and that is bringing over cars from Australia.

Boomer v3.8

Established Member
#1 no it still looks like a cavalier and a grand prix bumped uglies (pun intended. Its nothing special looking at all. Its TOO plain and not enough of a change from a Monaro. I was excited about the GTO but when i saw it, blahhhh...I'll wait to see the redesign.

#2 We know its a stop gap car. Why didn't GM wait till the redesign.
MONEY. They rebadged a car that was a hit in AU and called it a GTO.
To me that seems pretty greedy. GM IS scared of the new mustang.
Ford knew they had a bit of time to delay the 05 because GM HAD nothing to compete with. So GM goes and grabs this new "GTO" to see how it will do.

#3 yes it has dual exhaust and one exit and still looks like shit as it would look A LOT better with 2 exits on either side...next comment...

#4 it has HP/Torque, thank you for stating the obvious. But you know what, that means squat...ask the last gen F-Body. Not enough people bought the base model V6s to power keeping the car alive. That IS how the mustang survives. HP/Torque applies to the few that buy it for that reason. Now granted GM is only "allowing" a certain amount over. They don't want it sitting in dealerships lots.

#5, anything is better than the build on the old F-Bodies, so thats not saying much. The LS1s were all that were good about those cars.
Fast engine/big numbers for good value, they cheaped out on everything else.
THe "new" gto (I use new loosely, because its old even before it gets here) WILL look better, ride better etc....but saying its better than an F-Body in all categories...anything is an improvement...doesn't mean its AWSOME.

Its pretty bad when I show someone a pic and they say "Wow its a new 2 door grand prix"
DOesnt mean they are stupid, just commenting on how it looks.

I wouldn't even consider this car, I'll wait till the LS6 one or the redesign (unless GM axes it first)
Bring on a Concept Camaro so that the rivalry can start again.
None of this "stop gap" ass crap...

Lethalchem

Sigmund Frod
Established Member
Originally posted by 03CobraBro
Ill be interested to see how a 3600lbs car with the LS6 holds up against our 3660lbs stock Cobra's.

:lol: Considering we're already taking down the 3200lb ZO6's, I'd say it'll be a no-brainer:beer:

Users who are viewing this thread