Ughhhhh! problems 2

whizdumb81

RealEyesRealizeRealLies
Established Member
Recently I have experienced a huge loss in performance from my mustang.. it was getting worse and worse over time. Anyway, i recently took it to a shop and they noticed that my entire intake was very loose and the maf was reading all the air going past it but it was leaking and had a tremedous loss in vacumm pressure Hence horrible performance. I experienced "honda like acceleration" and bucking on a regular basis. Anyway I tightened up the Intake and replaced the pcv valve as well as a few vacumm peices and it's running MUCH better. However, i have been throwing 2 codes.. You guess it Lean system codes for both banks 1&2-----P0171 & P0174 respectively.. I have cleared the codes several times but after about 10 mins of driving and mostly when the car idles for a minute or two the codes resurface.. I have also disconnected the battery for quite some time to clear any of the adaptive computer BS.. Either way it keeps comig back and i would like to know what to do about it. Also in a post that i just put up i am also experiencing a problem with my A/C (Blower direction is stuck and will not change from defrost) how can i solve the problem of a lean running engine and are the issues connected.

Quadcammer

4cams aren't better then1
Established Member
vac leak.

get a tank of propane like you would use for a propane torch.

with the engine idling, open the gas slightly, and move the bottle along the intake tract. If the engine starts to rev, you've found the leak.

01vert

Established Member
If your vacuum operated blower doors are not operating correctly you may have a leak there. With no vacuum, the flapper doors will not move.

MrBrain

Corner carver
Established Member
Usually fault codes are there for a reason, clearing them doesn't take care of the problem causing them.. :)

01yellercobra

Established Member
I didn't think these cars had vacuum operated doors? I thought they were all cable operated?

scotts99snake

Established Member
My car used to throw those codes also. It was recommended to me (besides a vacuum leak) to clean the MAF. Even if it doesn't take care of the problem, it only takes a few minutes.

matted2thefloor

Established Member
My car used to throw those codes also. It was recommended to me (besides a vacuum leak) to clean the MAF. Even if it doesn't take care of the problem, it only takes a few minutes.

Cleaning the MAF is a good, easy starting place. Also check to make sure the boot clamp at the throttle body coming from the air intake tube is tight. Use some throttle plate cleaner and then a small burst of compressed air to dry it out.

Chances are that if the intake was "loose" the gasket is now leaking regardless of being retightened. You may be looking at replacing the intake gasket to cure the problem. You can also use the throttle plate cleaner to locate your vacuum leak. With the motor running spray a small amount around the gasket sealing area and if a noticeable change is noticed in the engine RPM, you found the suspect area.

01vert

Established Member
Vac doors on the mixer (hot/cold) and the vent controls if I remember correctly.

Users who are viewing this thread