Ugh need help guys

NinetySixSVT

PacoTaco Defeater
Established Member
So begining my problems see this thread: http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?t=357281&highlight=PCV

Well basically while waiting for the piece to come in (should be here tommorow), we put another hose on the tube and put it back on the Cobra. It started and idled fine that night.

So the next day, it starts up awful and throws CEL code P0300. Random misfires. My question to you guys is could a bad PCV connection be causing this?? I wouldn't think so but it's kind of convienant it stats misfiring now with the jimmy-rigged connection.

I'm gonna hook up the new part with a new pcv vale tommorow but what are my chances here guys?

RippinSVT

SVT Afficianado...
Established Member
If you just put a hose between the intake and manifold, it's just sucking tons of oil into the intake and fouling the shit out of your plugs.

NinetySixSVT

PacoTaco Defeater
Established Member
RippinSVT said:
If you just put a hose between the intake and manifold, it's just sucking tons of oil into the intake and fouling the shit out of your plugs.

The tubing is there. All I did was take off the broken hose attached to the end of the piece (intake manifold side) and put a new one on.

NinetySixSVT

PacoTaco Defeater
Established Member
rgurleyjr said:
So with a new hose connected, your car still runs like crap?

Yeah it idles awful. Haven't actually driven on it yet.

I actually get the new part in tommorow so I'm gonna put a new PCV vale on there with the new connector...but I don't know if this is just a coincidence that it started misfiring now or if it's directly related.

RippinSVT

SVT Afficianado...
Established Member
Do this. Spend $2.38 at the store for a variety-pack of vacuum caps, then put one the intake. If it still idles like crap, you have a different problem.

NinetySixSVT

PacoTaco Defeater
Established Member
RippinSVT said:
BTW, just buy a breather for the valvecover.

So you cap the intake and put a breather on the valvecover and all is well?

I always heard not to do that with EFI cars? Am I mistaken? For some reason I recall hearing never to close the PCV system?

Last edited:

NinetySixSVT

PacoTaco Defeater
Established Member
hmm okay I may try this, I just need a crankcase breather from a local auto parts store? I just did an online search at my local parts stores and no one seems to carry them, looks like I'll have to special order.

Last edited:

NinetySixSVT

PacoTaco Defeater
Established Member
Okay I put a cap on and put a over-the-counter breather on the valve cover. On startup, it struggled a little to start and then it idled better...but still threw the code.

2 thoughts.

(1) If the previous setup got some shit inside, will it take a bit to clear out?

(2) Is it possible the breather is now causing it? there's a little metal part of the breather that was around the bottom of the breather, i took it off because it was making it so that the breather didn't feel like it was going in...did i f this up? I've never actually put a breather on before.

NinetySixSVT

PacoTaco Defeater
Established Member
She's fixed!!! (I think)

I went back and put that tightener on the breather and played around with it a little bit, I made a smaller vaccuum cap fit onto the intake...started it up, was a hard start, hard idle for about 2 seconds and then cleared up. I let her idle all the way till the engine was warm...NO CODES! I took her out and drove around a little bit, and I swear it feels smoother, but maybe it's because I haven't driven her in a while. No codes at all.

The only thing I'm worried about now is if I secured that breather enough.

Thanks for the help guys, I'm not the best mechanic in the world (understatement) so thanks for being patient...now just hope that breather doesn't fall off lol

RippinSVT

SVT Afficianado...
Established Member
it shouldn't hurt anything. but yeah, basically just poke the breather in the hole and put the cap on the intake, which you did, and problem solved.

StngStr

Mustang-less
Established Member
I'm assuming that you not only put a breather on the driver's side, but also either plugged the pass side hose going into the intake tube or put a breather there too? Otherwise, you'll be sucking unmetered air into the engine, right?

NinetySixSVT

PacoTaco Defeater
Established Member
StngStr said:
I'm assuming that you not only put a breather on the driver's side, but also either plugged the pass side hose going into the intake tube or put a breather there too? Otherwise, you'll be sucking unmetered air into the engine, right?

actally no, do i need to do that? Does anyone have a pic where that's located I'm not familiar with that..

SinisterSTANG

SVT
Established Member
I don't think you need a breather on both sides, as long as it's left stock with the hose from the passenger side valve cover going into the air intake tube, it should be fine, I'm sure someone else will chime in. As far as sucking in the seafoam goes, just pull the plug off the intake and attach a small hose to it, then put the cap back on when your done.

RippinSVT

SVT Afficianado...
Established Member
It shouldn't make a difference if the passenger-side is left untouched. I have a breather on mine, but I had to use the existing factory tube and modify it to accept a breather on the end because the intake tube got in the way.

Users who are viewing this thread