Ugh! MAF

99cobraR

Established Member
Funny how much a dirty MAF can piss off your car. The car was running perfect on the way in this morning, but when I was driving home for lunch it was sputtering HARD on light throttle, but not at idle or WOT. Hmmm, guess that rules out a fuel issue if it's running well at WOT. So anyways, I limp home with the car barely running, I'm sure everyone who saw me drive by was thinking, "man that guy can't drive a stick" lol. Anyways when I get back, I do a quick search here to get a preliminary diagnosis before taking the car apart. I was a little worried because I just installed a procharger and I did the install myself. Well, I decided the problem was likely the MAF, so I took it off and gave it a quick cleaning, and VIOLA! Car runs like a champ, even better than it did before my troubles today. Damn electronics.

jbp99cobra

Fly fat ass, fly!!!
Established Member
I was having a lot of problems with my MAF, so I ended up switching it out for a Lightning MAF... guess I should have cleaned it first before switching over:shrug:

Quadcammer

4cams aren't better then1
Established Member
if you just put it on with a brand new K&N, you may be getting oil on the maf.

Doubtful with a blow through, but you never know.

I thought you said you weren't going WOT with it until it gets dynotuned?

99cobraR

Established Member
I haven't gotten a new filter yet, but cleaning the MAF seemed to resolve the problem. I said I wouldn't run it hard very much, not that I wouldn't test it out a time or two :-D

99riocobra

i like ice cream
Established Member
LOL! i'm sure it's hard driving it and not having it tuned yet and stuff. i drove mine straight to the dyno when i got mine done, so i never had that itch. i will definitely advise you do that asap.

99cobraR

Established Member
I know, I know, I have a mail tune on it now which should hopefully keep it safe enough until I make it to a dyno, but I have only gone WOT a couple of times.

01 Venom

Established Member
Dude dont rely on the mail tune, I had a mail tune in mine to get me to the dyno and when I got there it was WAY WAY off, Like if I would have wacked it she would have blown up.

Just save yourself a nightmare and park the car until you get it tuned

Users who are viewing this thread