• GSP / Monson

Votes: 8 15.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Yellow2003

Genetically lazy
Established Member
Hughes -
Beat GSP once already. GSP is faster and probably more agile, but has no answer for the strength Hughes brings. Hughes will take a few shots to the head, will probably even get rocked once or twice, but in the end cardio and strength will win.

Sylvia -
Not impressed with Sylvia's lackluster performances overall, but I don't think the Snowmans brute strength will be enough to handle the size difference. 6'8" and 260lbs is bigger than anybody he's fought before, and as big as he is at 240, Sylvia is still bigger.
I am still waiting for Arlofski(sp?) or some other well rounded big fighter to come back and take the belt from Sylvia again

Hepcat007

Established Member
I am pulling for GSP but i think Hughes will win it again. The man is just a freak and incredible. I think that if Monson can get Sylvia on the ground it will be over very quickly. If it stays standing, Sylvia will take it as he has better standup and much longer reach.

untouchable_svt

Established Member
GSP ALL THE WAY................ I hope. I'm thinking Monson will take the belt!!! But thats my opionin. I will be in the UFC hopefully in within 6 months. I been talking with DANA WHITE

Yellow2003

Genetically lazy
Established Member
Hepcat007 said:
...The man is just a freak and incredible.
+1
Hepcat007 said:
I think that if Monson can get Sylvia on the ground it will be over very quickly. If it stays standing, Sylvia will take it as he has better standup and much longer reach.

Monson's background is 'grappling (and more recently submissions) so his only chance is on the ground and in control... But can he get Sylvia to the ground and get control. That's gonna be a tough one given the sieght/reach advantage that Sylvia will have.

poopnut2

Lifelong Vagetarian
Established Member
I'm still pissed off that Serra won over Lytle. Seriously, Serra's face was all bruised and shit, plus I think he had a cut, and Lytle came out of that fight without a mark. Now tell me how Serra won that fight? Each had only one take down, but Lytle was definately the agressor when they would be up against the cage and Lytle was landing blows to Serra's face. Serra was too favored by the judges IMO.

Yellow2003

Genetically lazy
Established Member
poopnut2 said:
I'm still pissed off that Serra won over Lytle. Seriously, Serra's face was all bruised and shit, plus I think he had a cut, and Lytle came out of that fight without a mark. Now tell me how Serra won that fight? Each had only one take down, but Lytle was definately the agressor when they would be up against the cage and Lytle was landing blows to Serra's face. Serra was too favored by the judges IMO.

I think it was the UFC version of a 'Lifetime Achievement Award' for Serra. If there had been a clear winner that woud have been reflected in the judges scorecards. It was very close, and I think they gave it to him for his previous accomplishments (1st american blackbelt under Gracie, running his own school, family history of MMA etc) and the leadership he showed during the season.

That's why I vote for never having a 'decision'..... If both guys are still standing at the end of 3 rounds, either fight more, or call it a draw.

PSI87

Banned
As far as the Serra fight goes, the first time I saw it I thought it could go either way. The second time I saw it I thought Serra was marginally better since he had Lytle against the cage the whole time. In the end, I think it's fair to call Serra the winner, but I feel bad that Lytle performed so well to recieve nothing.

DBK

Re-retired
Established Member
People who vote Monson have clearly not seen him fight. This isn't ADCC, and Tim Sylvia has a huuuuuuge reach/strenght/size advantage. Plus he's a bit of an idiot with his canned anarchism beliefs. Don't get me wrong, Tim Sylvia sucks on the global scale of heavyweight MMA fighters, but Monson lost to Forrest Griffin long before Forrest was at where he is today. Would anyone realistically pick Forrest to decision Sylvia?

I'm hoping GSP takes out Matt Hughes. GSP seems like a nice guy, and Hughes is a dick. That country boy wrassler bit is annoying.

Last edited:

horseplay

Crazy MMA Junkie
Established Member
I ordered the event earlier, This is the fight i been waiting on for along time..... Its a toss up, Both are my favorite fighters... Hughes & St. Peirre. I wanna see matt win. My pick for the HW Title goes to Monson. Let this war begin :rolling:

Wintermute

Banned
Rush might suprise you guys, thats all Im gonna say.

And Monson is gonna gas pure and simple. He will fail to keep Sylvia down and poop out in the second round. If Sylvia doesnt knock him out first.

EddieHaskell

Interweb Racing Legend
Established Member
Hughes is too cocky, but I don't know if I want a French Canadian winning :) How is Matt Hughes so light...his neck looks like a thigh.

BmoseleyINC

SVT Immortal
Established Member
Im going for Hughes,Silvia. I want Tim to show awesome Takedown defense, and knock JEff's ass out.

I'll have to wait though since im going to see it live:) Girl I know scored tickets, and knows how much I love UFC.:rockon: :rockon:

Yellow2003

Genetically lazy
Established Member
PSI87 said:
I have mised feelings about GSP vs Matt Hughes. I want GSP to win, but at the same time I want Matt Serra to be the one to take Hughes' belt away.

LOL... Serra is a nice guy and all, and seems to be a GREAT coach/trainer based on TUF season 4... But he's not in the same class with Hughes or GSP. Either will hand him his ass.

Yellow2003

Genetically lazy
Established Member
Win7ermute said:
Rush might suprise you guys, thats all Im gonna say.

And Monson is gonna gas pure and simple. He will fail to keep Sylvia down and poop out in the second round. If Sylvia doesnt knock him out first.

Monson will gas... maybe not after 1 round, but no way he can go 5 with a 260lb opponent.

And no 'suprise' with GSP. If he pulls it off, it will be by sticking to his strengths = striking, and avoiding Hughes strengths = strength. I just don't think he can do both:shrug:

Harry Schneider

Established Member
Hughes will get his ass handed to him this time. In their first fight GSP was pretty much all over Hughes, then he made 1 little mistake and Hughes capitalized on it (to his credit!).
It's funny how they compare to BJ Penn, in Hughes vs Penn 2, Hughes got thumbed in the eye, he went down on one knee, cried to the ref, and they stopped the fight to let him recover...?? In GSP vs Penn, GSP got thumbed in the eye, no complaint on GSP's part, no stoppage, while GSP was trying to see again, Penn came and broke his nose, but GSP fought through it, and won in what must have been pretty painful circumstances.
Hughes vs Penn 2, Penn would have won that fight if the bell hadn't saved Hughes from Penns leg tri-angle, he had him! And...Penn was out of shape having taken the fight on short notice. It's time for the arrogant Hughes to go down!!
GSP will definately show Hughes a few things this time!!
Sylvia, although talentless, will win by TKO/KO. Monsoon will tire in the first and will become a target for Sylvia to practice shots on.

2slow50

Banned
Yellow2003 said:
Hughes -
Beat GSP once already. GSP is faster and probably more agile, but has no answer for the strength Hughes brings. Hughes will take a few shots to the head, will probably even get rocked once or twice, but in the end cardio and strength will win.

Sylvia -
Not impressed with Sylvia's lackluster performances overall, but I don't think the Snowmans brute strength will be enough to handle the size difference. 6'8" and 260lbs is bigger than anybody he's fought before, and as big as he is at 240, Sylvia is still bigger.
I am still waiting for Arlofski(sp?) or some other well rounded big fighter to come back and take the belt from Sylvia again
Hughes -

Apparently you didn't see the first fight where GSP clearly overpowered Hughes!!:eek: Yeah that's right he stuffed him several times!!n Also where GSP went 3 full rds with Penn..
If Monson gets Silvia on the mat Silvia will be tapping out!!
If they stay standing Monson will probably be KO'd..:coolman:

Fourcam330

Established Member
Harry Schneider said:
Hughes will get his ass handed to him this time. In their first fight GSP was pretty much all over Hughes, then he made 1 little mistake and Hughes capitalized on it (to his credit!).
It's funny how they compare to BJ Penn, in Hughes vs Penn 2, Hughes got thumbed in the eye, he went down on one knee, cried to the ref, and they stopped the fight to let him recover...?? In GSP vs Penn, GSP got thumbed in the eye, no complaint on GSP's part, no stoppage, while GSP was trying to see again, Penn came and broke his nose, but GSP fought through it, and won in what must have been pretty painful circumstances.
Hughes vs Penn 2, Penn would have won that fight if the bell hadn't saved Hughes from Penns leg tri-angle, he had him! And...Penn was out of shape having taken the fight on short notice. It's time for the arrogant Hughes to go down!!
GSP will definately show Hughes a few things this time!!
Sylvia, although talentless, will win by TKO/KO. Monsoon will tire in the first and will become a target for Sylvia to practice shots on.

Did you not see Trigg bust Hughes in the nuts w/out ref stoppage? Matt almost lost, then pulled it off once again. It happens to everyone at some point.
I'm also not sure Sylvia is stronger than Monson, I don't think they come any stronger than Jeff. As long as Monson can get Tim down I don't see there being much of a problem--how long did it take Mir to break Tim's forearm?

Harry Schneider

Established Member
Fourcam330 said:
Did you not see Trigg bust Hughes in the nuts w/out ref stoppage? Matt almost lost, then pulled it off once again. It happens to everyone at some point.
I'm also not sure Sylvia is stronger than Monson, I don't think they come any stronger than Jeff. As long as Monson can get Tim down I don't see there being much of a problem--how long did it take Mir to break Tim's forearm?
I know it happens to everyone, but when they interviewed Hughes during the Ultimate Fighter final, he said that Penn just "busted up" GSP in the first round and never even mentioned that GSP couldn't see. GSP didn't even complain to the ref!! Hughes did. If you recall, GSP absolutely destroyed Trigg, and I mean destroyed him!! Made him look like an amatuer. Hughes has beat Trigg but never that easily.
And don't get me wrong, I would LOVE to see Jeff take down Sylvia and punish him, I just don't think it will happen. Tim does have good take-down defense, look how he fought Arlovski (you know the "Pitbull), I know I spelled his name wrong.

Users who are viewing this thread