UCA bushing help.

Shadowgray03

Snake Charmer
Established Member
Ok, sorry to intrude on your "R" forum guys but you guys have tons of experience with road racing so figured you may be able to help. I have Nicks delrin LCA/UCA bushings and I am working on the UCA's now. I have the control arm off but am a bit confused on the best way to get the bushing out and what part I am supposed to reuse. According to Nick I am supposed to retain the sleeve. Can anyone give me pointers? These things are in there but good. Here are some pics of what I am dealing with. Any help greatly appreciated.

uca1.jpg

uca2.jpg

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
I put the outer edge of the washers in a vise and squeezed them off. Then I just pressed out the rubber in an arbor press. You want to leave the outer shell in the control arm for the bushings.

That's it!

:thumbsup: :coolman: :beer:

Last edited:

Shadowgray03

Snake Charmer
Established Member
Originally posted by ac427cobra
I put the outer edge of the washers in a vise and squeezed them off. Then I just pressed out the rubber in an arbor press. You want to leave the outer shell in the control arm for the bushings.

That's it!

Hmm, I dont get it :) when you say you squeezed off the washers, your referring to the outer wahser type peice on each end (I circled them in pics below)? You just smached them in a vise basically and once off you could just press the rubber center out?

uca3.jpg

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
Exactly, smashed them (destroying them in the process) just to get them off. Or you could take a sawzall all and saw them off? But I just put the edges into vise jaws and clamped the bejeebers out of them. If they slip out, just regrab them. You're throwing the washers away anyway. Then once you have the washers off you can press the rubber out.

The uppers was one of the easier parts of the intstallation of these delrin bushings.

Last edited:

Shadowgray03

Snake Charmer
Established Member
Exactly, smashed them (destroying them in the process) just to get them off. Or you could take a sawzall all and saw them off? But I just but the edges into vise jaws and clamped the bejeebers out of them. If they slip out, just regrab them. You're throwing the washers away anyway. Then once you have the washers off you can press the rubber out.

The uppers was one of the easier parts of the intstallation of these delrin bushings.

Ok, just wanted to make sure, thanks for the help.

toofast4u

Versatilist
Established Member
It is cake. Remove the steel cap that has a 1 on. To remove the cap just put a screw driver between the bushing and the cap and twist and it should pop off. If it doesn't you can get to the lip of the cap inside the crush sleeve use a screw driver or chisel and hammer it off, I used an air hammer. Then take one of your 12mm bolts and put it in the bushing so that the head is where 2 is and take a large 1/2" short socket on the other side with the nut. Tighten the bolt and pull the bushing out. The steel shell stays, but the bushing and two caps go.
attachment.php

Here is what mine look like removed.
attachment.php

I think Bruce just has a destructive nature and wants to break stuff. ;-) :lol:

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
Originally posted by toofast4u
I think Bruce just has a destructive nature and wants to break stuff. ;-) :lol:

Dooood:

How do you think I relieve all of my pent up stress when I'm not on the track? ;-) :lol: :p

13 Cobra Toy

Need More Track...
Established Member
Dooood:

How do you think I relieve all of my pent up stress when I'm not on the track? ;-) :lol: :p

Let's rename the forum to PENT UP STRESS OPEN TRACK PEOPLE....:lol: :lol: :lol:

Users who are viewing this thread