TX gun law no license, am I reading this language correctly?

01Jes

Z06 bought with food stamps
Established Member
So if a person in TX does not have a concealed carry license, they can have a firearm inside the car if it's concealed, not on their person. Pursuant to TX penal code 46.02. Am I reading this correctly?

Sec. 46.02. UNLAWFUL CARRYING WEAPONS. (a) A person commits an offense if the person intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly carries on or about his or her person a handgun, illegal knife, or club if the person is not:
(1) on the person's own premises or premises under the person's control; or
(2) inside of or directly en route to a motor vehicle or watercraft that is owned by the person or under the person's control.
(a-1) A person commits an offense if the person intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly carries on or about his or her person a handgun in a motor vehicle or watercraft that is owned by the person or under the person's control at any time in which:
(1) the handgun is in plain view; or
(2) the person is:
(A) engaged in criminal activity, other than a Class C misdemeanor that is a violation of a law or ordinance regulating traffic or boating;
(B) prohibited by law from possessing a firearm; or
(C) a member of a criminal street gang, as defined by Section 71.01.

Sinister04L

RIP Kane
Established Member
You can have it on your person while directly en route to and from the vehicle and while in the vehicle. You've been able to keep it in your vehicle for a while, but before the language was more ambiguous. You could have it in your car but you had to be "traveling" but they never stated what exactly that meant. Now you can have it in your car whenever as long as it's concealed.

01svtL

Established Member
Wasn't open carry just passed? I think i read that it goes into effect in September maybe?

01Jes

Z06 bought with food stamps
Established Member
You can have it on your person while directly en route to and from the vehicle and while in the vehicle. You've been able to keep it in your vehicle for a while, but before the language was more ambiguous. You could have it in your car but you had to be "traveling" but they never stated what exactly that meant. Now you can have it in your car whenever as long as it's concealed.
Thanks Sin, that's how I understood the language just needed a second set of eyes.

Wasn't open carry just passed? I think i read that it goes into effect in September maybe?
That's only if you have a concealed carry license.

TBCobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Beer Money Bros.
Nevermind.

Good info here.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread