TX front plate law

TX04WhiteL

Established Member
I have a question on the TX front plate law. From all of my research, it says a front plate must be displayed. However, it is not very clear on location. I have been pulled over for it not being located on the front bumper and told to get the bracket. Just gotten warnings though, and I've always politely said my truck did not come with holes and I would like to avoid drilling them. So how exactly does the law work? Am I allowed to display my plate behind the window with suction cups? It's not that I do not want to display a front plate, however I would like to avoid cluttering up the front of the car as much as possible and drilling holes. The car I just bought is the same way and I would like to know if I can continue to keep it in the window or put on the bumper.

Lobo_Loco

La Mera Vena
Established Member
As of January of this year we were not required to display both license plates...we only need to display the back if you want as well...as long as your registration sticker matches to your vehicle than you are good....however not displaying the plates does give the cops a reason to pull you over...I for one don't display and refuse to drill or even have my front plates so I carry the actually paper where it states we don't have to just in case I get pulled over...I show and tell the leo what it says and so far all act as if they didn't know which they probably dont.....but bottom line I refuse to put a plate in the front of my car

Edit: if you search in my previous post.... I posted the specifics of where to look to find your answer

Last edited:

rrpederson

lookin 4 parts
Established Member
To the best of my knowledge, the last Texas Legislature failed to that particular offense in the Texas Traffic Code. It is still a violation and from what I understand, it will be fixed in the next legislature. This is just information that has been circulating around my department, so take it for what it's worth, we could be wrong too.

Personally, I wouldn't put any holes in the front bumper of my car. My car does not have a front license plate either, but just know that, even though some of us, including me, have never been stopped for it, it is still a violation. At this time however, I don't believe that the citation can be written, but it will be fixed in the next legislature. I hope this helps.

Richie

TX04WhiteL

Established Member
Thanks guys. The terminator I bought has the plate in the window. I'll keep it there until they say anything. The neighborhood cop used to always give me crap about it in the L but never a ticket, think he was just giving me a hard time. Ive been pulled over by state troopers and they did not mention it... So I'm on the fence over it.

Iceman II

Right Behind You!
Established Member
The license plate must be firmly attached to the front bumper. Not the windshield! State law doesnt say the middle of the vehicle! The front mean the front.
Come to the Hill Country and you will leave with a fine to pay!!

trickability

Established Member
The license plate must be firmly attached to the front bumper. Not the windshield! State law doesnt say the middle of the vehicle! The front mean the front.

if I were a cop no way I would enforce this law, its a joke anyway. So glad we dont have them. I would rather sell my car than drill the bumper

DriftwoodSVT

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Established Member

Sure hope you're not in Dripping Springs :beer:

Roots-type

+displacement
Established Member
Its still a law and being enforced. My gf just got ticketed last month for it. She still refuses to put one on.

03machme

go on and mach me
Established Member
To the best of my knowledge, the last Texas Legislature failed to that particular offense in the Texas Traffic Code. It is still a violation and from what I understand, it will be fixed in the next legislature. This is just information that has been circulating around my department, so take it for what it's worth, we could be wrong too.

Personally, I wouldn't put any holes in the front bumper of my car. My car does not have a front license plate either, but just know that, even though some of us, including me, have never been stopped for it, it is still a violation. At this time however, I don't believe that the citation can be written, but it will be fixed in the next legislature. I hope this helps.

Richie

Same being said at my department. We have been told we can not use it as PC for a stop until it is fixed.

and OP there is someone on here that sells no drill brackets for most Mustangs. I made my own for the Mach that didn't have drill holes and my administration wouldn't get on to me about not having one. My 2013 came already drilled :bash:but if i ever get them filled I will make another bracket.

GunsUpCoyote

Global Wahhh? 12 mpg
Established Member
I have been pulled over and issued citations for speeding, etc. And have also been arrested and never issued a citation for not having a front plate. I will admit it does give them a reason to pull you over but they have never said anything about me not having one on my truck.

97_TXCobra

Established Member
both plates have to be displayed it just doesnt specify that the front plate needs to be at the furthest point on the front of your vehical. which they will change the law on that come jan 2013. Our higher ups love to stress that the plate is "Technically" not being fully displayed if any part of the plate is obstructed by the windshield...i say that stuiped as long as you make an attempt to have it in the front windshield im not going to bother you but then again it does give other LEO's reasons to pick on people...

semperfimrn1

Established Member
i've driven without a front plate for over 2 years and have yet to get any warning or ticket for it and i have been pulled over within that time limit.

i keep it in my car in the back floorboard just in case i can always say i just had the bumper painted and haven't drilled yet.

03machme

go on and mach me
Established Member
both plates have to be displayed it just doesnt specify that the front plate needs to be at the furthest point on the front of your vehical. which they will change the law on that come jan 2013. Our higher ups love to stress that the plate is "Technically" not being fully displayed if any part of the plate is obstructed by the windshield...i say that stuiped as long as you make an attempt to have it in the front windshield im not going to bother you but then again it does give other LEO's reasons to pick on people...

There is case law where an arrest was upheld after the pc for the stop was for the front plate being in the window. Judge stated that the law stated plate must be on front most section of the vehicle. I.e. bumper. I agree this will be fixed next session but for now at my dept at least we are unable to use it as pc for a stop

sent on the mobile using an app thingy

5pointohh

ballin' on a budget
Established Member
in the past, i've been pulled over for no front plate. got nothing but warnings, now my new car has a LP bracket that i'm about to take off...this law seems kind of redundant if you ask me.

s_x_i

Established Member
I'm a dealer - no front plate required! :banana:

(edit - for me any ways) as far as I'm aware, the law states that plates must be displayed "at the front and rear of the vehicle" The ambiguity comes into play as to the definition of front and rear. There was a case in 2007 where it was successfully argued that front was forward of the c-pillar, however there was a further case in (i believe) 2010 or 2011 where a guy used that as his defense in a drug bust and it was shot down, the court ruling front means front bumper. After that ruling, the police around here went nuts pulling people for no front plate, I got pulled twice in one day by different cops.

If it was for personal use, I'd run one just to avoid the headache.

Last edited:

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
I have been in TX for almost 15 years now and haven't had a front plate on my 95 that entire time, and no front plate on the 04 since I bought it. I have been stopped one time where it was claimed to be the reason for the stop and he didn't give me a ticket for it.

Most of the cops I have talked to about it say they would not pull someone over for it unless they were looking for a reason to stop that vehicle. They did advise me that the State police were a LOT harder on the law.

Users who are viewing this thread