Two Heat Exchangers?

10thTerminator

Established Member
Was installing the Fluidyne today(I know not as good as the Gords, didn't do my homework :shrug: ), I noticed a ton of room between the H/E and the radiator. A few beers later :beer: I manged to installed the stock H/E into the opening between the radiator and the Fluidyne. Had to bend up a bracket and make two mounts, but it fits perfect. I think it will give me more effective area and volume then the Gords. Not really sure if I will get any benefit, but the stock H/E was junk anyway. Should be finished tomorrow. Still wishing I would have bought the Gords, plus adding the stock it would have been killer.

Seems like a cheap H/E mod, how cheap stock heat exchangers are, you could double your capacity and effective area by just adding another one.

2he_1.jpg

2he_2.jpg

2he_3.jpg

2he_4.jpg

2he_5.jpg

Thrust

Established Member
I thought about that also. Running two stock heat exchangers would be a cheap alternative to a aftermarket one. I just wonder if it performs as well in cooling the fluid down. Has anyone tried this?

Jerryk

Halfshaft abuser
Established Member
Very innovative thinking, I applaud you! I love seeing stuff like this and hope it works. Will the effort be worthwhile? I'll be the first to weigh in with an opinion: no. I think you've blocked too much airflow. I'm not hatin, I'd love to be proven wrong here. Everything I've seen myself w/ fans on the HE and others results of larger HE's w/ no fans all tell me that airflow matters most. Second comes the size and efficiency of the HE itself I *think* there is not enough airlow (and I cant tell from the pics but I doubt there is room enough for fans) and I'd love to see some IAT2 temps both sitting still (heat soaked) and moving on a 90+ degree day. Good luck and please keep us posted!

Last edited:

69gt4speed

Svt God of All
Established Member
Good idea, let us know how it turns out.
How about this one.
Take your old stock h/e put it in a insulated container with lines, a proper pump, and proper valving, check valves. Tee into the lines going to the engine, inlet from the stock tank, outlet to the line that goes to i/c. Other words parallel to the stock system h/e. Fill the container with 10# of ice and some water. Unhook your defroster pwr wire at the grid, wire, fuse the pump and valve properly, use your def switch to control. Normally drive to wherever. A while before a run turn on the switch to start pump and open valve. Feel the alum line get colder than air temp. that goes to i/c. Use special quick connect fittings to unhook stuff without losing any coolant. It's possible for sure. I have way too much stuff laying around.

10thTerminator

Established Member
I just can't see it hurting anything, you have more coolant plus more area to cool the coolant. Digging around I found this equation for turbo air-to-water heat exchangers.
"
The first equation describes the overall heat transfer that occurs.
Q = U x A x DTlm

Q is the amount of energy that is transferred.
U is called the heat transfer coefficient. It is a measure of how well the exchanger transfers heat. The bigger the number, the better the transfer.
A is the heat transfer area, or the surface area of the intercooler tubes and fins that is exposed to the outside air.
DTlm is called the log mean temperature difference. It is an indication of the "driving force", or the overall average difference in temperature between the hot and cold fluids. The equation for this is:

This overall heat transfer equation shows us how to get better intercooler performance. To get colder air out of the intercooler we need to transfer more heat, or make Q bigger in other words. To make Q bigger we have to make U, A, or DTlm bigger, so that when you multiply them all together you get a bigger number.

Jerryk

Halfshaft abuser
Established Member
Now that I look at your pics more I understand the orientation better: you could fit the dual SPAL fans: http://www.jaycorptech.com/showproduct.aspx?productid=5&categoryid=2. Nice brackes BTW, someone has access to a mill.. ;)

The fans would pull from behind your new HE and would end up pushing air through the front of your old HE as well. Those fans move mucho air so I'm confident they could do both.

grnenvy

Established Member
hmm

Yeah, I thought about that already. Air flow is a problem. I had the factory changer almost behind the Gords with my spal fans running and the air flow was BAD. Plus the engine runs a little hotter every time you block the radiator. The trick is to find a good place other then infront of the radiator to mount it. You could mount that changer at the bottom of the car near the balancer and put fans on it. The changer would be facing the ground but with a set of spals on it it may work. It may sit a little low for a street car. If you could tuck it up higher then the radiator support that would be awesome. I just never took the time to really mess with it. It would be great on a car that road races. Oh and my fans are on the front of my changer wired the other way so the push instead of pull. I think they look better on the front kinda racey.

Last edited:

S/CCobra03

Established Member
That is very interesting! I would be worried about causing too much restriction in the system and burning up the pump or actually slowing the coolant down so much that it is less efficient than just the aftermarket HE. Am I wrong here or what?

Oh Three Cobra

Established Member
Exactly. The air now has too much resistance to flow properly. I wouln't be suprised if your engine coolant temps get higher because of restricted airflow to the radiator. I think one proper heat exchanger is plenty.

Users who are viewing this thread