Two BOVs

lshin037

Established Member
I've had the JPC Tial Q BOV kit installed on my V3 setup for awhile. I've been getting complaints from the wife, friends, neighbors so I decided to get a QR to quiet things down. Its much quieter (cannot hear during idle) but Im uncomfortable with the flutter. I was thinking of using both (QR installed where the stock bypass valve used to be with an adapter) and using a tee to connect both BOVs to the same vacuum/boost source. I also want to add valves on them so I can switch between them easily.

Will a BOV stay closed without a boost/vacuum source connected to it or pinched off?

o2sys

Established Member
It should stay closed but the springs required for superchargers are pretty light springs. Without vacuum holding it shut it may leak under boost.

The flutter you mean you are getting compressor surge?

I couldn't stand the noise of my Q bov either. Tried many ways to quiet down with little result.

Ended up getting their new QRJ and instead of recirculating it I attached a radiator hose and directed the flow to the bottom of the car facing the rear. It's as quiet it as if it was fully recirculated but still loud when I let off from high boost. No flutter or compressor surge at all.

lshin037

Established Member
It should stay closed but the springs required for superchargers are pretty light springs. Without vacuum holding it shut it may leak under boost.

The flutter you mean you are getting compressor surge?

I couldn't stand the noise of my Q bov either. Tried many ways to quiet down with little result.

Ended up getting their new QRJ and instead of recirculating it I attached a radiator hose and directed the flow to the bottom of the car facing the rear. It's as quiet it as if it was fully recirculated but still loud when I let off from high boost. No flutter or compressor surge at all.

My understanding is that vacuum opens the valve and boost closes it. Im hoping with the valve shut off, it'll keep the valve closed. I do believe it's compressor surge which is why Im concerned. Thought about getting a small cone filter that's used on ATVs and using it to cover the BOV.

o2sys

Established Member
Yes vacuum opens and boost keeps it closed. I meant under boost without the vacuum hose connected to it, the light spring inside the BOV might not be strong enough to stay closed. The spring is only rated for 2-3 psi. I can easily push it open with my hands.

The cone filter will make the surge worse. The problem with the QR design is that you are bottlenecking the air passage way. It's discharging the air 360 degrees and all is being forced out to a 1" opening.

lshin037

Established Member
Good point. I guess Im just gonna have to live with it or maybe have them both connected and see if the sound decreases.

o2sys

Established Member
I tried something similar where I had a 50mm hooked up and a Bosch BOv teed up and the sound does decrease and helps the compressor surge as well .

Just didn't like all the mess of the vacuum hoses.

Last edited:

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
O2sys - do have any idea how much boost the qcr can handle on a centri? I hate my BRRV with a passion and was gonna start looking for alternatives. I'm at 15psi now but that might go up closer to 20 later

o2sys

Established Member
I'm at around 15psi as well. I'm not sure how much CFM but it flows tons of air maybe even more than the Q.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
i'll look into the other models a little more but might be time to email them, dont want to air to stack up and screw up the seals in the procharer

o2sys

Established Member
The other deciding factor for going with QRJ was to the fact that I could reuse the 50mm vband that I had already welded.

No other BOV has a 50mm vband opening.

92fiveohfox

Established Member
Yes vacuum opens and boost keeps it closed. I meant under boost without the vacuum hose connected to it, the light spring inside the BOV might not be strong enough to stay closed. The spring is only rated for 2-3 psi. I can easily push it open with my hands.

The cone filter will make the surge worse. The problem with the QR design is that you are bottlenecking the air passage way. It's discharging the air 360 degrees and all is being forced out to a 1" opening.

If that was the case, it would leak under any boost as well. The bov should hold fine. I ran 2 bovs for months now with no leaks.(only one hooked up via vac line)

Users who are viewing this thread