twin turbo or vortech w\ aftercooler

mikep01

Established Member
i am looking into getting a vortech with an after cooler, or the twin turbo kit from www.turbochargedpower.com . i have read all the info that i can find on the turbomustangs website. this is a daily driver that spend the drive home in our favorite rush hour traffic. i like the stealtyness of the turbo kit. ii can go either way just looking for input. i apreciate all your input.

Last edited:

99turbocobra

Established Member
I have had a twin turbo 5.0. The only thing I did not like about it was the heat it put off. You are going to need one bad a$$ cooling system to sit in traffic. I don't know how hot it get were you live but if it get pritty hot I would buy a bigger raditor, and hight flow water pump.

GR8WHITE

The BIG FISH
Established Member
I wouldn't do the twins on a daily driver due to the heat as previously mentioned. Particularly if you do sit in traffic alot. I might consider the single turbo if the traffic didn't have me sitting still for long periods of time on a daily basis. Since you're in CA you've got the traffic and the heat that would just kill that motor. Think about an intercooled D1. ;-)

Booyah

Cantankerously Blunt
Established Member
Originally posted by GR8WHITE
I wouldn't do the twins on a daily driver due to the heat as previously mentioned. Particularly if you do sit in traffic alot. I might consider the single turbo if the traffic didn't have me sitting still for long periods of time on a daily basis. Since you're in CA you've got the traffic and the heat that would just kill that motor. Think about an intercooled D1. ;-)

Agree, especially after looking at the kit you have your eye on. That kit is placed wrong, under normal driving conditions your bumper cover and everything near that area will be getting way to hot. I would stick with a single turbo system that has the turbo in the engine bay at least.

Killer95GT302

Established Member
I sould actually sugguest a single turbo setup instead of twins for a few reasons.

1. Ease of installation and maintenance

2. 1/2 the trouble, yet power gains can be substantial

3. If you do your own tune ups, you'll find them taking 3 times longer than normal.

I wouldnt worry so much about heat. There are heat insulation kits, such as one by DEI, that can decrease radiant heat under the hood alot. These along with wire protectors and you'll eliminate the heat problems.

GOOD LUCK :thumbsup:

tommyhil4_6

Buh Bye
I have bought that same turbo kit and yes the heat is more then supercharger applications by 1-300 degrees, now HP's kit is ceramic coated inside and out as a basic feature with a huge intercooler to cool the temps, you can get heat shields and heat wrap to protect any lines, intake pipes etc. - The difference is minimal when most would agree that turbocharging is more efficient as far as forced induction goes, either way you'll produce more heat then you are stock so up to what you want to do, Tom Berry is a great guy at HP and will answer any questions you need - 505-623-1304 -

Thomas

Users who are viewing this thread