twin 57mm set up

CHINI

Do Work
Established Member
I am trying to compare hellion to thp and was wondering if i could run a twin 57mm on stock motor? Everyone is talking about how once you hit 600 with the stock block how it will crack, but the guys running twins are hitting 750rwhp and not hurting there motor. WTF I want to learn everything about both before i buy

smashedheadcat

Established Member
You can run over 800rwhp on the stock engine if you stay very safe on the tune. With the twin 57's, you can make 800 to the wheels with less than 20psi with 12-14 degrees timing and a fat 11 to 1 air to fuel in garbage weather.

CHINI

Do Work
Established Member
which kit makes more power the thp or the hp performance? One is in the bumper and one is in the engine bay. If its like a 20 hp difference then i wouldnt even care. But i think i want the hp performance kit.

XRQTOR

Banned
C H I N I said:
which kit makes more power the thp or the hp performance? One is in the bumper and one is in the engine bay. If its like a 20 hp difference then i wouldnt even care. But i think i want the hp performance kit.
Someone around here made 11**rwhp from the THP kit.

CHINI

Do Work
Established Member
true, but the motor does have some stuff and the boost was way up there. I am talking about if you were to leave it on 14psi on both which would make more.

4sdvenom

Never Enough!
Established Member
On a side note.......I highly doubt you need to worry about cracking an '03 Cobra block...period......pistons probably, but not the block..unless it was some sort of piston or rod failure that caused the block to crack!

smashedheadcat

Established Member
C H I N I said:
true, but the motor does have some stuff and the boost was way up there. I am talking about if you were to leave it on 14psi on both which would make more.

I'm not sure. If you get the HP with the '01 cobra intake then the THP kit will make more. If you upgrade to the sullivan on HP's kit it'd be interesting to see. At 14psi, you can make ballpark 700hp with either.

krisco243

Established Member
any of the mentioned kits will make the power you are looking for. as for the block going after 600hp, this is more of a blower car rule of thumb, remember that when going to turbo you get all of the hp used to turn the supercharger back- kinda free hp. also the block holds up well untill heat monkeys its way in, and with a turbo, (or 2 as the case may be) and an efficient air to air intercooler, intake temps will be much lower than those of the superchargers, actully not far from ambient depending on the setup and boost level. combined with a safe tune ie: rich and conservative timing and these engines seem to hold up well in the 700+ relm, time will tell though. a major factor that you should consider is the installation. this is when the shit seems to hit the fan with these cars. i have spent a year trolling these forums saving up the 10g to make this jump and still cannot decide. good luck and take your time making a decision, too many unhappy owners here adn wtf is the point of having,and spending all this money on these cars if you cannot enjoy them.

2003Slobra

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Chini,

I wouldn't worry about cracking your short block. Now I see you purchased a Built Shortblock, so now you really don't need to worry about it.

THP is the kit with the Turbos in the engine bay, and the use of the Sullivan Intake. You have to cut two holes in your inner fender for your intake pipes to run inside the bumper for cooler air. You then need to relocate your battery to the trunk.

HP is the kit where you place the turbos by/near the foglights. From what I read, it is a hit or miss company. Some have HORIBILE customer service, some have excellent. A lot of people are having oil drain back issues because the return line is skinny and it actually has to travel up since the turbos are so low. There are ways you can fix this, a lot of people have. Such as SmashedHeadCat and PBJ03.

I see in your intinal post you mentioned Hellion. There are a lot of happy Hellion customers around. Hellion is big in the turbo world, and can ship Turbo Kits within the first week of purchase. That right there is unheard of in the Turbo World. Most companies need time to gather parts and fabricate the kit. I believe THP is trying to do this in the long run, but it takes time.

Hellion kits make you change a few things, switch to a 98' Cobra intake and a few of their acc. The use Stock Manifolds and they also place their turbo untop in the engine bay. Hellion has had some impressive numbers on and off of the track, I believe the 10.0 @ 140 on mild boost. A HP Car went 9.47 @ 143 on the Stock Shortblock, 6 Speed.

CHINI

Do Work
Established Member
Since chp is insane here in cali i will probably go with something like the hp kit. I am thinking taking my car to arizona so that "shayne" can do the set up. But we'll see, i have as much time as i need to make my decision.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread