TVS with 3C/4C converter

bmoney50

Established Member
I know you don't "need" an aftermarket converter to get a TVS to 60' but I am curious if anyone is running this setup. My car had a 4C in it on nitrous before I made the change to a VMP TVS. I decided at the advice of my tuner to leave it in and try it. Has anyone run or tried this combo? I plan to hit the track this weekend. My car has been 10.66 with a 1.42 60' on a 150 shot.

4VFTW

Established Member
I have no experience with that combo but I also have a 4c in my car and ran it on spray and now with my Procharger and it has worked awesome in both applications so I see no reason why it will not be superb with a TVS.

Scott8583

Addicted to Corn!
Established Member
I'd like to know your results... My tuner advised against a converter. He runs a stocker in his 9sec TVS ride.
How much stall are you getting on the street?

bmoney50

Established Member
Results are in and I have all the correct answers lol.....The track was green today so I need another day at the track to see how much quicker it will go. Let me start by saying if anyone is looking to buy a TVS leave the stock converter in the car and see if it meets your goals(it probably will). My car already had a 4c in it and I elected to try it. Part of the reasoning to leave the 4c converter in is because my pump gas sucks and 91 is all I can get locally. I am working on a race gas tune for when I want to turn it up. I had a goal to be able to run 7.0 index racing on pump gas and that was met. The car ran a best of 10.67@128 with its not best 60' of 1.513. The car ran 3 passes of 1.50s but the runs had to be aborted as the car got out of shape shortly after 60 ft.

bmoney50

Established Member
What size pulley are you running and what tires?

82mm, MT et street pros 275/60(they need to be replaced soon). I am also running a roush airbox lid with the air straighteners removed and an AFE drop in dry filter.

Last edited:

JLear

2014 GT
Established Member
I currently have a 4c in mine that I ran n/a, I'm in the process of installing a gen 2 TVS and based on the advice of others I will be going back to the stock converter. From what I've found with a little research it is pretty common to get 1.5x 60's with a TVS and stock converter. That's really all I'm looking for right now.

bmoney50

Established Member
I currently have a 4c in mine that I ran n/a, I'm in the process of installing a gen 2 TVS and based on the advice of others I will be going back to the stock converter. From what I've found with a little research it is pretty common to get 1.5x 60's with a TVS and stock converter. That's really all I'm looking for right now.

Cool let us know how it goes. I am not saying 4c is better just testing for myself. It was in there so I tried it. I may throw the stock converter in at some point.

JLear

2014 GT
Established Member
Cool let us know how it goes. I am not saying 4c is better just testing for myself. It was in there so I tried it. I may throw the stock converter in at some point.

Oh yeah I understand, trying different things is the only good way to find out what works will in the real world. The install should be done soon and it goes for a tune on 3-17, hope to have some track numbers very soon after the tune.

corepwn

Established Member
For the record, Vmp holds the record of a 1.25 60' on the stock converter with a TVS.

1.5s are common with no suspension mods.

bmoney50

Established Member
For the record, Vmp holds the record of a 1.25 60' on the stock converter with a TVS.

1.5s are common with no suspension mods.

For the record that converter has been modified by circle d. Bottom line is you put enough pulley and timing the car will haul ass on a stock converter and pull a great 60 foot.

Last edited:

Scott8583

Addicted to Corn!
Established Member
How many passes are on your pro's? Just curious how long that tire lasts...

I have found with the stock converter and TVS is that every time you go to a smaller pulley the 60' drops more. I started out with an 85, then 82, then 79... Power right from the hit on stock converter! A closed air box & 1 size smaller pulley is the way to go on stock motor. (79mm or 75mm)

I'm shooting for mid to low 1.4 60's on stock suspension when my car gets out of its cave & tracks open back up here.

I wonder if your losing mph from a loose converter? How much does your car weigh?

Last edited:

bmoney50

Established Member
How many passes are on your pro's? Just curious how long that tire lasts...

I have found with the stock converter and TVS is that every time you go to a smaller pulley the 60' drops more. I started out with an 85, then 82, then 79... Power right from the hit on stock converter! A closed air box & 1 size smaller pulley is the way to go on stock motor. (79mm or 75mm)

I'm shooting for mid to low 1.4 60's on stock suspension when my car gets out of its cave & tracks open back up here.

I wonders if your losing mph from a loose converter? How much does your car weigh?

I get the pros used from 275 guys. The guy I get mine from runs them 2-3 weekends then sells them so I am not sure. I also drive mine to the track and its 175 miles round trip. They last alot longer than I thought they would to be honest. I am almost to the wear bars and they still went 1.50s. I probably have 70 passes on them and I am guessing 2-3k highway miles maybe more.

I completely agree on what you have seen with the pulley swap and the 60ft on the stock converter. My problem is my pump gas won't support any more pulley. I called Shaun told him I bought a used vmp kit and I was getting ready to install it and I was pulling the converter. He said your fuel sucks keep the converter and lets see what we can do with it. Again my goal is to run 7.0 index at PSRA this year and turn the car up to run a number and at heads up shootouts. I don't think there is anyway I can run 1.50s on an 82 and run 10.60s with a 3900+ lb car with the stock converter and the car should go a little quicker as it is setup.

I am going to weigh the car today to get the real #s but its pretty heavy(loaded premium). The car was 3930 with me and nitrous setup. After the TVS I went to the BMR radiator support and took out the shaker sub to try and offset the weight of the blower. So I pulled 55lbs and without the nitrous setup thats another 30-35 so I would think the car is pretty close to what it weighed before.

I can't wait to see your results I have been following the car for awhile. I maybe leaving some mph on the table now and probably a little more when we turn it up on 104 bit I am looking for ET. I ran 10.66@125 on 150shot but the car went 1.42 60ft and 6.80 in the 1/8th but obviously nitrous falls off during a run so backhalf not so great. I pick up 3-4 mph more on the back half boosted.

Last edited:

corepwn

Established Member
Mine went [email protected] on a 1.52 60'.
The car was 3900, it was about 300+ DA and I was using an 82mm pulley and the stock airbox, stock cinverter. I had 93 pump and a few ounces of torco.

Maybe I'm lucky but low 1.5 1.50/1.51/1.52 60's are normal for me. I use regular MT DRs, not the pro series.

Last edited:

92fiveohfox

Established Member
The car was 3900, it was about 300+ DA and I was using an 82mm pulley and the stock airbox, stock cinverter. I had 93 pump and a few ounces of torco.

Maybe I'm lucky but low 1.5 1.50/1.51/1.52 60's are normal for me. I use regular MT DRs, not the pro series.

What psi do you run those at?

bmoney50

Established Member

Cool man thats awesome 300 da here never happens..its good now at 14-1500. How much timing did you run on that setup? What gears? What size tires? I wish I had some good 93 close.

Last edited:

Scott8583

Addicted to Corn!
Established Member
I'm sure 1.50's are possible on regular MT's. I was getting 1.54 out of 18" NT05's & I'm sure MT's are better. Im going to try a 325/40/18 M&H I think. My rims are too wide (11") for a 305/45/18 MT or I would go that route.

You can change pulleys in 5mins on a TVS. I used to swap from a 82mm for street/pump gas & throw a 79mm/110&93 mix and drive to the track.

corepwn

Established Member
Cool man thats awesome 300 da here never happens..its good now at 14-1500. How much timing did you run on that setup? What gears? What size tires? I wish I had some good 93 close.

15* commanded and +2 from knock sensors. 3.15 gears, 275/50/15 MT DRs, did the same on 275/60s too. 18 psi. On race star 15x8 wheels, no suspension mods.

bmoney50

Established Member
FB_IMG_1425853553619_zpsdhgskgra.jpg

Still gets a little air without spray and more weight on the front.

bmoney50

Established Member
15* commanded and +2 from knock sensors. 3.15 gears, 275/50/15 MT DRs, did the same on 275/60s too. 18 psi. On race star 15x8 wheels, no suspension mods.

That's pretty good..its 2-3 more degrees of timing than my junk pump gas will hold. I have Sunoco 260gt plus in it and the base race tune now. Seems to be a pretty good difference already. Now will I blow through the converter? We shall see. I have the stocker ready to go if need be.

Users who are viewing this thread