TVS VMP II 2 .3 OR Whipple 2.9?

GoneN60

Established Member
Sorry I know this has been asked a zillion times but I gotta make a fast decision. I know nothing much about the whipple and got a feeling everyone's gonna say tvs. This will be a street car and will be happy with 600+RWHP. I do have plans to build the bottom end later but mainly for reliability reasons. I will decide to crank it up to close to 700 eventually. I want the most horsepower without exceeding the 650 limit for now. Please help me make my decision I gotta let my speed shop know something today. Thanks!

FATHERFORD

Established Member
Normally on the bigger blowers you can run less boost(less heat) and the same volume of air. Allowing more power, or a safer tune.

Derek@Lethal

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Either blower will help you achieve your power goals relatively easily. We ran the 2.9L on our old grabber blue 2011 GT on the stock engine, and essentially with just full exhaust, the blower and race gas, the car made nearly 750rwhp with about 15 psi of boost. The compressor is good for over 800rwhp if you decide to go that high in the future.

Zona14Stang

Established Member
Sorry I know this has been asked a zillion times but I gotta make a fast decision. I know nothing much about the whipple and got a feeling everyone's gonna say tvs. This will be a street car and will be happy with 600+RWHP. I do have plans to build the bottom end later but mainly for reliability reasons. I will decide to crank it up to close to 700 eventually. I want the most horsepower without exceeding the 650 limit for now. Please help me make my decision I gotta let my speed shop know something today. Thanks!
I would stick with VMP I see so many posts wanting 700HP. I honestly don't see why unless it is strictly for the track or a weekend car. Because you will never hook up on the street even with 600 HP. I cannot see driving daily with drag radials. It really depends if you want it to be an all out drag car or a street car.

mavisky

Established Member
The VMP Stage 2 is proving to be a solid upgrade for the GT's. I know that Kurgan Motorsports in Atlanta has done a couple of their kits on GT's and are making in 600 range pretty easily. I'm sure more is possible with other upgrades to the cars as well to get your over that 700 barrier if you really want it.

Bud

Established Member
After owning both the gen1 TVS and the 2.9 whipple I vote go with the genII TVS. I don't see the extra cost of the 2.9 being worth it.

GoneN60

Established Member
I have a 2.9 Whipple and love it. Made 750 rwhp on 13 psi still more left.

Cool! Thats what I decided to go with the 2.9 whipple. I got too good of a deal on the kit. I still feel like im missing out on something with the tvs. Are you on a built bottom end? Sounds like a lot of power for stock internals. Could I potentially see 600 hp on 10#?

Slowb00st

Established Member
Cool! Thats what I decided to go with the 2.9 whipple. I got too good of a deal on the kit. I still feel like im missing out on something with the tvs. Are you on a built bottom end? Sounds like a lot of power for stock internals. Could I potentially see 600 hp on 10#?

His sig says MMR longblock with Boss heads. 600 should be easily attained with a 2.9

sambandit

SVT God
Established Member
600 HP is a piece of cake with either blower. Unless you are 16-20 lbs of boost, I see no reason to do a 2.9 Whipple. Even at that point, I'm not convinced that it's a better blower. TVS will make more TQ down low at similar boost levels.

prn1972

Established Member
There are a few treads out there comparing ported tvs to a 2.9 Whipple. The ported tvs beats the 2.9 in HP & tq at the same boost. The gen 2 tvs should do even better.

ebrow21

Established Member
My 2.3 whipple must be better than the 2.9L then. I run right there with the faster tvs cars, at similar boost. Everyone does something a little different, so a proper comparison is difficult. I would be happy to strap a tvs on my car (on the dyno) to settle the issue, but I don't see anyone with an extra willing to let me borrow it, haha.

I think it may have more to do with a properly setup car. In my opinion, the limiting factor for any of these setups is the 6 rib.

prn1972

Established Member
My 2.3 whipple must be better than the 2.9L then. I run right there with the faster tvs cars, at similar boost. Everyone does something a little different, so a proper comparison is difficult. I would be happy to strap a tvs on my car (on the dyno) to settle the issue, but I don't see anyone with an extra willing to let me borrow it, haha.

I think it may have more to do with a properly setup car. In my opinion, the limiting factor for any of these setups is the 6 rib.
I didn't say the 2.3 Whipple was junk. Any blower kit out there can make good numbers & times. But there is a reason more people will pick the TVS over the 2.3 Whipple. Also I said a ported tvs will make more than the 2.9 at the same boost. Not a lot more, its very close. Like I said there is more than one tread out there proving this with dyno sheets & everything. Take a look. But as we all know numbers are not everything

Users who are viewing this thread