TVS peeps: 2.8 and 4 lb pulleys too much?

YGETV8

Established Member
In the process of going E85 and that's my pulley combo now. I do have Mac long tubes. I've seen at least one other person running it.... Too much? Thanks, Jay

greenflash00

Established Member
I've been tempted to try a pull with this myself when I get the longtubes on :lol: It would probably be stretching the limits though yeah..you'd be at nearly 25lbs on that. I've seen as high as 21lbs on my 2.8 upper with stock lower on a really cold day. :eek:

Shadow Grey 03

Established Member
I asked Justin and he said the 3.0/4lb combo is it for a stock cammed car. Port the heads and put a set of cams in, then go with the 2.8/4lb setup.

Senkak

SVT Poster
Established Member
Really want to try 2.8 pulley with my 4lb at somepoint

Do it!!

Is it because we will be over spinning the blower? Is there where larger blowers come into play? Will head work balance this layout?

24lbs is the max recommended RPM for the VMP TVS 2.3.
This is based upon rpm. People have spun the blower past that point.

Wicked46

Under Pressure
Established Member
I also run the 3.0/4lb lower like Rick. You'll be fine with a 2.8 upper as long as the tune is safe with the stock motor.

YGETV8

Established Member
Head work should actually lower boost due to increased flow.

I was going to try my 2.8/4# on the dyno but my 3.0/4# was already running warm enough to pull timing so we thought it silly to heat the air up even more. I'm looking at going with a killer chiller....then maybe I'll try it. ;-)

03Steve

Established Member
Cliff runs a 2.8/6lb and 7300rpms on an aftermarket engine combo. Peak blower RPMs are 9.1/2.8 * 7300. Estimated engine output is between 944-969 based on time, mph, weight. Switching to an 8lb next.

SVT_Troy

Established Member
Excuse my ignornace but i dont want to assume. What is the benefit for running a lower pulley versus just an upper? Ive been an upper only guy for awhile but always see others running lowers.

cj428mach

Established Member
Excuse my ignornace but i dont want to assume. What is the benefit for running a lower pulley versus just an upper? Ive been an upper only guy for awhile but always see others running lowers.

Less belt slip by keeping the upper pulley diameter larger. Some people claim a gain in torque I don't know if anyone has done a back to back dyno testing different pulley combos at the same boost level.

YGETV8

Established Member
Cliff runs a 2.8/6lb and 7300rpms on an aftermarket engine combo. Peak blower RPMs are 9.1/2.8 * 7300. Estimated engine output is between 944-969 based on time, mph, weight. Switching to an 8lb next.

That's it - I'm installing a Killer Chiller and putting my 2.8 back on! ;-)

Users who are viewing this thread