TVS install - finally got all bugs out - story inside

choate

Drive with a sparkling glove on your shift hand
Established Member
I'm sure some of you have seen some of my posts about this in the past, but felt like I'd share this story all in one spot, just because I'm mainly relieved it's all over I hope after quite a bunch of hiccups on what's supposed to be a fairly simple swap. Had everything from mechanics in one shop leave, their service adviser doing work who messed something up, shops blaming each other, blaming a 15 year old car, a credit card dispute I later dropped and everything in between when all I wanted was my car fixed and running right.

Back in the beginning of June, the car went into a very reputable Mustang shop for a TVS swap they "do with their hands tied behind their back" and it would be done in a week or two tops. Well no big deal but about a month later I go to get it and it hesitates bad between shifts and come to find out they forgot to delete the PPRV. Back to the shop, tank comes back out and a couple more weeks go by.

Go back to get it this time, 10 miles down the road the CEL comes on. Take it back to the shop and he goes out and data logs it. Says he's never seen this before, but clears the code and the car ran great. Made it all the way to about 10 miles from my house. Stopped to grab some beers, came back out and the car wouldn't start. No fuel getting to the motor. Towed home (one of the worst days i'd had in quite some time). Then the car sat for a month and finally the shop sent someone to come take it back to their shop (90 miles away).

Tank dropped again, line came off in the tank. I get the car back the next day believe it or not, but noticed it was leaking fuel when it was running. Sat in my garage for another 2 weeks before I could get it to a local mechanic who had to again drop the tank and diagnosed it as a grommet at the top of the tank was left out. They fixed that and all good for about 5-10 drives.

Then the car started stuttering real bad that would come and go and mainly only did it when cold. After a few times of it driving good I ran into an old big block nitrous camaro who wanted to do some mexican runs so we did that twice (lost from a dig and won from a roll) but right after that it had a bad misfire. I was thinking well I probably just smoked a piston. Had no noises but I was worried about it. Took another 2 or 3 weeks before they could get me back in the local shop and in the meantime I bought billet pulley idlers and a new belt along with a wideband and aeroforce interceptor.

The misfire was a cracked brand new spark plug (lucked out on that being so simple) so that was all good but now I had belt slip b/c the belt was too long after the new idlers were installed and new belt (I mis-estimated the length).

Went to get in the car a couple days later, and the battery was so dead that the car wouldn't even unlock with the fob. Battery and Alt were brand new. I took the battery to Autozone and they checked and charged it and all said it's good. I then realized the wiring for the Aeroforce and wideband must have been done wrong and it's drawing power when the car is shut off so I unplugged it.

Finally, installed a new shorter belt, put the battery back in, car fired right up, drove around until it was warmed up good and punched it in 2nd and in the 80 deg low humidity the car smoked the 555r's in 2nd gear with full boost and put a BIG smile on my face. So after all that, starting in the beginning of June, now 4 months later I'm finally back on the road and all good (still have to get the Aeroforce wiring fixed but can live with just unplugging it for now). That's all, thanks for reading. Here she is in all her glory in the Best Buy parking lot where I got my new iPhone 7 plus which feels so good to be back but that's something for another thread :)

Last edited:

choate

Established Member
4529f063b66fd226706ef3effe017629.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Skitzerman

NE Philly
Established Member
Holy Geebus, that's enough bullshit for ten people to deal with. Glad you got it all sorted out and still have your sanity. Car looks ( . Y . )'s, by the way.

choate

Established Member
One gorgeous ride right there. I'm battling gremlins right now on my '66...I know the feeling!
Thanks. Yes, I feel for you. That reminds me of this joke I saw one time. It's this guy sitting in bed with his back to his wife and head down. It's got a caption above his and her head and at the top says what she thinks is wrong vs what is really wrong. Her's is a mile long saying, "is he cheating, he doesn't find me attractive anymore, he's seeing another woman, I don't satisfy him anymore, he's thinking of leaving, he's thinking of other woman, what can I do better, he is going to find a younger woman, etc etc etc". Above his said "motorcycle won't start, don't know why". LOL

BlksvtCobra01

Deplorable and Proud
Established Member

I believe this helped me man. I hooked mine thru my cigarette lighter and killed my battery lol. Use an add a fuse. Happy to hear all your issues are straightened out. Car looks great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

choate

Established Member
That's what I can't figure out. It's got add a fuse. It's in the box under the dash in a corner slot. Can't remember if it's the upper or lower one. I have a buddy who is good with wiring that said he can help

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

Skitzerman

NE Philly
Established Member
lmao, I've seen many variations of that over the years, from many different women. Honorable mention should include the following.........not now honey, what are you doing now?, what's that smell?, you never did what I asked, I'm not appreciated, when are you going to do what I asked?, are you going out in that car? and my all time favorite, is that another car part?, we never talked about that.

I forgot to include another classic, that women like to lay on you as you're ready to go out the door.........are you wearing that?

Last edited:

TK1299

Meh
Established Member
Premium Member
Op, your story sounds like the mess I dealt with when installing the Kenne Bell in my 93. There were times I thought the world was going to end and I would have to sell the car for scrap. Somehow, someway, things have a way of working themselves out.

BlksvtCobra01

Deplorable and Proud
Established Member
That's what I can't figure out. It's got add a fuse. It's in the box under the dash in a corner slot. Can't remember if it's the upper or lower one. I have a buddy who is good with wiring that said he can help

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

I switched the ad a fuse from the cigarette fuse to the one for the gauge cluster if I remember correctly. That way it only had power to the wideband with the key on. It’s the fuse box under the dash.

choate

Established Member
I switched the ad a fuse from the cigarette fuse to the one for the gauge cluster if I remember correctly. That way it only had power to the wideband with the key on. It’s the fuse box under the dash.

No kidding I'll have to look. If it's something that simple that fixes it I'll be blown away but that is how everything has been lately with the changes. Little thing causing big problems. If you can, take a picture of where your fuse is plugged in with the wire. No big rush but if you can that would be awesome. Thanks for the help man

choate

Established Member
Op, your story sounds like the mess I dealt with when installing the Kenne Bell in my 93. There were times I thought the world was going to end and I would have to sell the car for scrap. Somehow, someway, things have a way of working themselves out.

Same. And I agree. I've had a lot of anxiety thinking I may have to just cut my losses and sell it. That would crush me but it has all worked out oddly allowing me to have stuff done I wanted to anyways and learning how to change a belt and lots of other stuff from changing frps, fpdm and other stuff. Feel much more in tune with the car now

01yellercobra

Established Member
If you have a coupe you can use the fuse spot for the vert top. I have my wideband and boost sensor tapped into it.

Misspelling brought to you by Tapatalk

BlksvtCobra01

Deplorable and Proud
Established Member
No kidding I'll have to look. If it's something that simple that fixes it I'll be blown away but that is how everything has been lately with the changes. Little thing causing big problems. If you can, take a picture of where your fuse is plugged in with the wire. No big rush but if you can that would be awesome. Thanks for the help man

I
ccddb1dfe5de1c34740f20e521affa0d.jpg

Hope that helps ya bud. It’s super easy you should just tackle that yourself.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
Glad you got it, what a pain. My blower and return fuel system was smooth as butter. And it was my first time doing that particular swap. Sucks that people go to well known shops and have problems like this.

choate

Established Member
Thanks for the replies on the fuse box. Mine was not in the slots mentioned in the pictures. It got dark before I could look at it too close. I swear I think the car is misfiring again now too under full boost

01yellercobra

Established Member
Pull the plugs and check them. If they look good close the gap and little and try again.

Misspelling brought to you by Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread