TVS 03 Cobra vs 2.9 Whipple 03 Cobra

NMB2

Established Member
lol my car certainly isn't weak..glad you like your dyno numbers guy

Nice dodge. Has nothing to do with me being hung up over dyno numbers...... you make less than 600rwhp at sea level on a 2.9l whipple. It is what it is.

Last edited:

intermatic

Established Member
Nice dodge. Has nothing to do with me being hung up over dyno numbers...... you make less than 600rwhp at sea level on a 2.9l whipple. It is what it is.

Not dodging anything. I do understand my numbers are lower than most with the 2.9. I'm not trying to get into a debate about it or take the "every dyno is different" route.
For what it's worth however (just for a comparison), before I had the 2.9, I ran an eaton/nitrous set up. The car was originally tuned at Fastlane (down in NC) on their dynojet and it put down 585 to the wheel. When I brought the car up to NY, I had it dyno'd at my current shop (mustang dyno) without having made any changes at all and it made 543.
I'd like to think that variance holds for my current numbers, which would put me in the 620s-630s range on a dynojet which is pretty consistent with what most people seem to make on pump gas on this forum.
High 600s on pump gas at your altitude is impressive to say the least. I can't say I've ever hard of anyone making that much with the 2.9 on pump gas. How much timing are these cars running typically and with what pulley? The stock exhaust manifolds are the choke point on my car at the moment and I think putting some long tubes on would knock my boost down and let me run a little more timing.

spyder1337

It's LEGIT
Established Member

The fact you brought up dyno numbers originally and continue to talk about them it's obvious you're missing the point. Dyno numbers mean shit, the fact he posted his and the other cars just is a comparison. The other car say if it was making 20-30 more hp then something would be off but it's not and for comparison sake both cars are about where they should be in terms of speed, which is only what matters. The TVS in my experience has a slight low end torque advantage over a 2.9 or larger whipple, which once the cars are in gear it's pretty clear how evenly matched they are. Dyno numbers are irrelevant in comparing them when it's two different dynos and even on the same dyno so many factors com into play. We have a dynojet down here that reads on the low side, however my cars have always trapped what a car making another 20-40 hp would trap... the speed is what matters unless you don't race and just internet bench race. Which in that case, keep wasting your breath.

intermatic

Established Member
The fact you brought up dyno numbers originally and continue to talk about them it's obvious you're missing the point. Dyno numbers mean shit, the fact he posted his and the other cars just is a comparison. The other car say if it was making 20-30 more hp then something would be off but it's not and for comparison sake both cars are about where they should be in terms of speed, which is only what matters. The TVS in my experience has a slight low end torque advantage over a 2.9 or larger whipple, which once the cars are in gear it's pretty clear how evenly matched they are. Dyno numbers are irrelevant in comparing them when it's two different dynos and even on the same dyno so many factors com into play. We have a dynojet down here that reads on the low side, however my cars have always trapped what a car making another 20-40 hp would trap... the speed is what matters unless you don't race and just internet bench race. Which in that case, keep wasting your breath.

:beer:

badass runs!!!

thanks man!

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
Very weak for a 2.9..... our 2.9 cars up here in Denver are making high 600's on pump gas. I wouldn't be very happy with my tuner if I was making sub 600's on that blower.

Oh here we go again with a "happy" dyno! High 600's on pump gas? Bring that car to the dyno jet I put my car on, I bet you'd be lucky if it made 630rwhp on 92 pump gas.

EDIT: Unless your one of those running 22psi and waiting for something to break...

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
Those are some badass numbers! That's exactly where I'd like to be next spring. I bet it feels like a freight train!

Yea I'm not sure where he gets off saying my car is very weak. Assuming our cars have similar mods and he's not running meth or torco, there's no shot his car would put down even close to mid 600s on my dyno without having dangerously high timing. Even then, I don't see it.
Like I mentioned before, there was a 40+ hp difference between the dyno my car got tuned on with the whipple, and the one it got tuned on in the past.
Not worth arguing over tho, he can have his opinion. The intent of the thread was only to show a close race I had with a similarly modded car w/ a different blower (I almost bought). All in good fun.

I hear you, no pump gas 2.3 blowers have made over 600rwhp on the dyno I go to. And when I told them I was hoping for 600rwhp on pump gas, they told me I would fall short. And I believe mine was the first tvs blower they tuned. I think with LT headers I'd get close and I had a little belt slip but it's just a number.

Both the cars looked pretty strong in the vid and both drivers hit the gears well.

intermatic

Established Member
I hear you, no pump gas 2.3 blowers have made over 600rwhp on the dyno I go to. And when I told them I was hoping for 600rwhp on pump gas, they told me I would fall short. And I believe mine was the first tvs blower they tuned. I think with LT headers I'd get close and I had a little belt slip but it's just a number.

Both the cars looked pretty strong in the vid and both drivers hit the gears well.

Thanks man.
Does your shop have a mustang dyno?
If I hadn't had the surprise a few months prior of putting down 40 less hp on my new shops dyno from the last shop's, I would have definitely thought I'd break into the 600s with ease based on all the research and reading through the forums I had done. I was so close when my tuner had me at 19*s! I figured I wouldn't be able to notice the 10hp gain anyway and didn't mind turning it down.
Yea, you and I both need to ditch those damn stock manifolds and get a set of LTs lol

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
Thanks man.
Does your shop have a mustang dyno?
If I hadn't had the surprise a few months prior of putting down 40 less hp on my new shops dyno from the last shop's, I would have definitely thought I'd break into the 600s with ease based on all the research and reading through the forums I had done. I was so close when my tuner had me at 19*s! I figured I wouldn't be able to notice the 10hp gain anyway and didn't mind turning it down.
Yea, you and I both need to ditch those damn stock manifolds and get a set of LTs lol

Nope my shop has a dynojet. To me, it seems there dyno gives a more "realistic" number. Tuner had my timing at 19-20* and it didn't make much difference from 18*. I would say my tune is on a more conservative side. I see people post up numbers in the 615-630 range with a tvs and more restrictive TB and intake than I have. I have a 3" upper and vmp states it's good for 17 psi, but according to my speedhut gauge I peak around 18 psi.

I don't want to hijack your thread, but here is my dyno graph. You can see where the belt slip is in the 6200-6300 rpms. Not sure how much of a difference it would have made? Most say they don't have belt slip with a 3 inch upper, lol. I since put on a HD green belt and a metco belt tensioner brace. I already had the metco idler set on there.
IMAG0494_zpsulwbakhq.jpg

Last edited:

Dadarkside

Quicksilver
Established Member
nice race

Had a friendly run with an 03 Cobra w/ a 2.3 TVS and GT500 T/B. My mods are in my sig. Both of us are on pump gas and we both had our cars tuned on the same dyno by the same tuner. I believe his car put down 570 something and mine put down 585. He has the 3.0" pulley and I have the 3.5" pulley (stock lowers).
The races were pretty dead even with the slight edge to him I'd have to say. Both runs were done from ~40. Both of us had a passenger. Enjoy.

[youtube_browser]lsOFjyJbcjc&feature=youtu.be[/youtube_browser]

Users who are viewing this thread