TV question (not model dispute)

PureStang

Established Member
So i have narrowed my TV search to 1 model, the LG LV5500 series. I had my eye dead set on the 47" inch for the last couple weeks. Today, I noticed that my local bestbuy put the 42" version on sale. Before, i was willing to pay the extra price for the extra 5" of screen. But now the price gap is nearly $450 for just 5"!!! I sit about 7 to 8 feet away from my tv.

My question: Is 5" of extra screen worth THAT much money? I'll most likely get the 42", but i wanna get opinions.

99caddysts

Established Member
While I don't know if 5" is worth $450 (tv screen size lol), if you do get the smaller size you WILL eventually regret it.

cj3113

King of Controversy
Established Member
What size do you have now? If 42'' is an upgrade, you'll be perfectly happy.

PureStang

Established Member
I had a 42" Vizio and it stopped working (1080p, 120hz) about 4 months ago. Right now I am using a 27" Sharp LCD (720p, from 2006).

I have a TV cabinet that this will mount to, and I have done measurments, and the 47" WILL fit (barely). So keep that in mind too.

JasonSnake

Established Member
While I don't know if 5" is worth $450 (tv screen size lol), if you do get the smaller size you WILL eventually regret it.

I will agree with this gentleman.

See if you can haggle the price or find a cheaper price from another store and they could match it.

But whatever you do, don't wimp out and get a smaller TV.

65fastback2+2

Established Member
THX standard for a 9.5' seating distance is 65" screen.

This is what I have in my living room. its absolutely perfect.

for 8' seating distance, 42" is WAY too small. You should look for something in the 55" range.

soccerman002

99 SVT Cobra
Established Member
I have a 50" Pioneer mounted to the back wall of our den, from the couch I'm probably sitting maybe 8-10 feet from the television, and if I stretch out in the recliner, I'm up to probably 5-6 feet back. It's been great, but I could even see myself eventually going to a 55"+ down the road.

I'd opt for the 47" if you can swing the extra coin.

As others have said, once you get the 42" home, you'll wish you gotten the larger one.

matab14

pop up and do less....
Established Member
THX standard for a 9.5' seating distance is 65" screen.

This is what I have in my living room. its absolutely perfect.

for 8' seating distance, 42" is WAY too small. You should look for something in the 55" range.

Not all of us can be ballers like you Jason! lol

MustangBoo

Save Colonel Reb!!!
Established Member
best buy's prices are high. I bought my TV off amazon.com and saved about 800 bucks. Of course thats been nearly 5 years ago.

Planter

Banned
go bigger.

but plz don't by a POS LG (i know you said not a model dispute), but just remember you get what you pay for.

samsung, sony, or mitsubishi > all other brands of tv's (sharp, LG, RCA, Vizio)

good luck.

PureStang

Established Member
go bigger.

but plz don't by a POS LG (i know you said not a model dispute), but just remember you get what you pay for.

samsung, sony, or mitsubishi > all other brands of tv's (sharp, LG, RCA, Vizio)

good luck.

I love samsungs, but i cant swing the money that they cost. Most sonys that i have looked at are extremely cloudy and the images are blurry (unless you spend upwards of 2000 from what i have seen and liked). Havent seen any Mitsubishis on the floor, and i dont like to buy tv's sight unseen.

and to people saying i should go 50+, i cant fit it into the cabinet that i have, and this is only a bedroom TV so I am not entertaining people, only myself with xbox. Parents are buying a 55" or 60" tv this week for the living room.

If i wanted a large screen, I wouldnt settle for a television set, i would just go projector.

PureStang

Established Member
Been looking around and costco has a LW5600 (3d version of the LV5500) for 1200 or something for a 47"....damn decisions.

and from what i hear, Samsungs are terrible for first person shooters, which is the only thing i play anymore.

cj3113

King of Controversy
Established Member
I don't know what is wrong with the Sony TVs you have seen. I think they are the best looking around, but they generally cost just as much as Samsung. And I have played plenty of FPS on Samsung TVs without any problems as well.

I doubt you'll have any problems with whatever TV you end up with.

99cobra302

Established Member
i used to work at best buy, (not in the TV dept, but still heard customers feedback) and by far the one thing i took away is this:

You can get used to a tv that is too big for the room, but you will always regret buying one that is to small.

Sinister04L

RIP Kane
Established Member
For $800 you can get a 42" Panasonic Plasma that's better than the LG. You can get a 46" Panasonic for $200 less than the 47" LG. :thumbsup:

PureStang

Established Member
sinister04L, recommend me a Panasonic that is good for games. Im still hearing horror stories about image retention and burn in when playing games. I dont play a lot, but enough that i would worry about it, and i watch a lot of sports/espn.

Sinister04L

RIP Kane
Established Member
sinister04L, recommend me a Panasonic that is good for games. Im still hearing horror stories about image retention and burn in when playing games. I dont play a lot, but enough that i would worry about it, and i watch a lot of sports/espn.

I have 2 of them, one in the bedroom that I use for regular tv and movies (of course a lot of sports and ESPN) and the other is for gaming and the occasional movie. You don't have to worry about burn in with today's plasma technology. I can game for hours at a time with zero issues.

If you don't care about having 3D, the cheapest one I'd get is the 42" TCP42S30. It's $669 at Best Buy. Or you can get the 46" TCP46S30 for $804. The TCP42ST30 has 3D capability, but it also has a better panel as well. It's $899. Lastly the TCP46ST30 is $1169. Those are the 4 tv's in your price and size range. Personally I'd go with the TCP46ST30 but they'll all give you a good picture.

You can also look them up on Amazon. Amazon will typically have a little better pricing, and often has free shipping and you don't pay tax on it. I got both of mine from Amazon and got great deals on them with no problems.

Planter

Banned
Most sonys that i have looked at are extremely cloudy and the images are blurry (unless you spend upwards of 2000 from what i have seen and liked).

Havent seen any Mitsubishis on the floor, and i dont like to buy tv's sight unseen.

im not sure what sony's you've been looking at, but every Sony I have ever seen has had a razor sharp picture with clarity that makes real life look almost fuzzy. The Sony LED TV's are amazing, trying to get rid of my 55" LCD so i can buy an LED, but im not taking peanuts for it, because it's in too nice of condition.

maybe the one's you've seen, the settings weren't set properly and the tv wasn't calibrated?

usually you have to go to a privately owned home/audio vendor store or dealer to get a Mitsubishi, i rarely if ever see them sold at Best Buy or HH Gregg.

Users who are viewing this thread