TV Guru's - Question For Ya.

NVWSSV

Read It Upside Down
Established Member
I was thinking about buying a new tube for the Super Bowl and came across this one at Circuit City.com.

Can I go wrong for that price? I've read all the buyer feedback and it looks like most people are really happy with the TV, especially for the money.

Ryan

It's Not Your Concern
Super Moderator
OT....what does your avatar say upside down? I don't see it...

kball

Banned
Good deal for the price. It won't look as good as say a Flat Panel LCD or Plasma. It just depends on how much you're willing to spend.

FISHTAIL

Will Work For Mods
Established Member
I would also ask what you plan on using this for. CRT projection sets have burn-in problems that can arise from static images(ie video games), or those tv logos that appear in the bottom corners of the screen.

They also require periodic alignment for the tubes, although that's not nearly as difficult as it used to be.

That is a good price for that size TV, but depending on your usage, it might not be the right TV for you.

NVWSSV

Read It Upside Down
Established Member
FISHTAIL said:
I would also ask what you plan on using this for. CRT projection sets have burn-in problems that can arise from static images(ie video games), or those tv logos that appear in the bottom corners of the screen.

They also require periodic alignment for the tubes, although that's not nearly as difficult as it used to be.

That is a good price for that size TV, but depending on your usage, it might not be the right TV for you.

I'll mostly just be watching TV. I might get an Xbox 360 when they are readily available, but I'm by no means a hardcore gamer. The Xbox would just be for boring rainy days.

Is a one year warranty long enough for this type of TV?

FISHTAIL

Will Work For Mods
Established Member
NVWSSV said:
I'll mostly just be watching TV. I might get an Xbox 360 when they are readily available, but I'm by no means a hardcore gamer. The Xbox would just be for boring rainy days.

Is a one year warranty long enough for this type of TV?

You will probably be ok, but I would check to see if anyone has had tv logo burnin problems with that set.

There isn't much you can do about the warrenty.......those store bought extended warrenties are generally a complete rip off. I know the warrenty on my sony LCD Wega was only a year. I would'nt worry about that too much though, if you take care of the TV, it will probably last longer than you'll be willing to watch it.

NVWSSV

Read It Upside Down
Established Member
FISHTAIL said:
You will probably be ok, but I would check to see if anyone has had tv logo burnin problems with that set.

There isn't much you can do about the warrenty.......those store bought extended warrenties are generally a complete rip off. I know the warrenty on my sony LCD Wega was only a year. I would'nt worry about that too much though, if you take care of the TV, it will probably last longer than you'll be willing to watch it.
Cool, thanks. I'm going to Circuit City right now to check it out in person. My biggest concern is that it'll be too big at 26.7 inches deep, 50.3 inches high, 49 inches wide and 165 pounds (yikes!).

FISHTAIL

Will Work For Mods
Established Member
The_Truth said:
I would buy a DLP HD tv.

DLP's are nice, but some people see a "rainbow" effect from the mirrors switching. Personally, I prefer Sony electronics since I've had such good luck with them, so when I started looking at TV's DLP wasn't an option.

I'm very happy with my LCD WEGA so far, but I've only had it since saturday....

SteveChris

Established Member
dlp is expensive, i have a crt it looks beautiful. burn in can hapen but you have to look for early signs. buy a protection plan if it covers it. i have a best buy plan on my sony 51inch and i think they cover that. but ive heard of some sets having a burn in fix in the menu where it just shows static for a few minutes. you can do that yourself.
if its only a little burn in and not too bad then running a static screen overnight would fix it, maybe just a few minutes..depends. i dont know anyone whos tried but i'd look. most bugs from networks are translucent or move around. some dont stay on during commercials. some games also have some protection. cod2 doesnt keep the ammo indicator on the screen while you play only when you reload or get more ammo. and when you keep some games idle they go into a screen saver mode. like in gta san andreas, he starts to look around to change view.

NVWSSV

Read It Upside Down
Established Member
Well, I just got back from checking the TV out in person and can say I'm glad I didn't purchase it from the Circuit City web site. It's freakin' huge, way too big for my taste and needs. Plus it looks very cheap with lots of corner fade and the screen has obvious bowing/warping near the edges. They are definitely going for quantity over quality with this set.

I did look at a few LCD's; they looked super sharp. I'm going to hold off, save my money, and buy a quality LCD 32 or 42 inch TV down the road. That's a much more reasonable size IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread