Turtle Wax?

Mr. Freeze

Established Member
Turtle wax has been around for many years but was wondering if anyone uses their wax on their Shelbys and if not why not?

fullboogie

Established Member
You know, I've used Turtle Wax, Maguires, and other "cheapie" waxes. I've also used Blackfire, Adams, and other expensive stuff. In my opinion, as long as you wash, polish, and wax your car frequently with something decent, it's all good.

The $80/bottle wax snobs should be chiming in any minute...

zporta

KB INSIDE
Established Member
The only turtle wax I have used on my car is the wash. I have used cheap Mequires NXT wax and it was decent. Some people don't/can't see the difference. Some products might not be worth it but I haven't found much turtle wax stuff I like. And I don't use $80 a bottle stuff but I really like a lot of chemical guys stuff.

Just cause something has been around for a long time doesn't mean it's good...

4rd Toys

Polishing my SVTs....
Established Member
I use Turtle Wax ICE Premium-Care Liquid Wax on all my vehicles.....for now & until I run out on my stash...

[After washing of course] I put it on over a wet-soaked surface & polish it instead of using those "wax-as-u-dry" spray waxes....

That way I'm polishing & waxing as I dry.... It keeps the wax "moist" & prevents that hazing associated w/ waxes.... along with buckets of fresh clean water to clean/moist the cotton & microfiber towels

......................................................................................................

I tried a bottle Griot's Garage Spray Wax- that stuff to me is absolute junk & a waste of money.... I mixed in different brands of spray-wax [Eagle-One, Black-Magic, Turtle-Wax & DWG-Driwash/Guard] which then became useful....

Last edited:

weider1717

Established Member
Ok, first off I am a pretty experienced detail nut. I am a very picky person so detailing is something I actually enjoy. I have a garage full of orbital buffers and pads and polishes for anything you can think of.

With that said and having tried all the cheapos as a teen and pricey stuff later on like zanio, pinnacle etc. I find pinnacle line of waxes and car products period to be the BEST.

There is no better wax than souveran for black and red. Also, it wipes on like butter and you can wipe it right off afterwards and it doesn't leave any residue on black trim etc...it's amazing.

whatever you use even if it's cheaper stuff you can get some good results just get the car prepped and don't use an all in one polish and compound..thats the big mistake. You want to cleanse the paint tp perfectly smooth paint. Do this trick take a ziplock back put it over you hand and rub it on your paint you can feel every little embedded particle in the paint. Then clay bar the car until you can't feel them, at that point get it a fine polish if the car doesn't have scratches then top coat it with wax of your choice. That will get you a good finish no matter what you use but pinnacle will get you the best results!

when I got me shelby this is what I followed.

1. washed with pinnacle shampoo
2. clay bar the entire car
3. pinnacle paintwork cleansing lotion
3. top coat of pinnacle souveran carnuba wax
4. days later another wash and a 2nd coat of souveran

here are the results

Attachments

• FullSizeRender-8.jpg
    FullSizeRender-8.jpg
    993.8 KB · Views: 213
Last edited:

Mr. Freeze

Established Member
I have a friend who says turtle wax is just as good but im not a chemical guy so I don't really argue with him. I usually use collnite wax but not sure if one works better especially on black which never stays clean,lol.

ShiftyThePirate

Established Member
Dang. Now I have to go and wax and polish my Shelby. Haven't done it yet at all, and that black def needs it. I actually just recently brought a "cheap"? brand that is getting pretty rave reviews (made for black cars though) made by Surf City. I'll have to try it to see how good it really is.

Also, nothing wrong with turtle-wax at all. I still use their car-wash soap (ICE)
hrfx51.jpg

NastyGT500

Naples Premier Detailer!
Established Member
If the surface you are waxing/sealing is properly polished/prepped/etc: it really will not matter a whole helluva lot what LSP (wax/sealant) you use. Yes, some LSP's produce different 'looks': wet, deep, bring out the flake, etc, however, if you have an excellent starting point to begin with, MOST people will not be able to tell!

I forget who on this forum has a signature line that talks about what I just posted. I will try to find out who it is! I know he frequents this area.

****Found it: inyadreems, meticulous-detail Here is his quote: "The Prep makes the Pop, not what's on Top!"

Last edited:

Drive XR7

NE Ohio's Fastest
Established Member
Ok, first off I am a pretty experienced detail nut. I am a very picky person so detailing is something I actually enjoy. I have a garage full of orbital buffers and pads and polishes for anything you can think of.

With that said and having tried all the cheapos as a teen and pricey stuff later on like zanio, pinnacle etc. I find pinnacle line of waxes and car products period to be the BEST.

There is no better wax than souveran for black and red. Also, it wipes on like butter and you can wipe it right off afterwards and it doesn't leave any residue on black trim etc...it's amazing.

whatever you use even if it's cheaper stuff you can get some good results just get the car prepped and don't use an all in one polish and compound..thats the big mistake. You want to cleanse the paint tp perfectly smooth paint. Do this trick take a ziplock back put it over you hand and rub it on your paint you can feel every little embedded particle in the paint. Then clay bar the car until you can't feel them, at that point get it a fine polish if the car doesn't have scratches then top coat it with wax of your choice. That will get you a good finish no matter what you use but pinnacle will get you the best results!

when I got me shelby this is what I followed.

1. washed with pinnacle shampoo
2. clay bar the entire car
3. pinnacle paintwork cleansing lotion
3. top coat of pinnacle souveran carnuba wax
4. days later another wash and a 2nd coat of souveran

here are the results

I've used a wide variety and I think Pinnacle Souveran is also the best.

20131006_134418_zpsac1731e4.jpg

20130721_192218_zps24a8acbc.jpg

20130721_192148_zps9034d168.jpg

970775_10100201328562960_337390833_n.jpg

coolcobramatt

Mystified and terminated
Established Member
How your end wax looks are more a result of the prep and paint correction than the quality of wax. That being said, I use high dollar products such as Dodo Juice Supernatural and Pinnacle Souveran. For a budget yet high quality wax, go with Liquid Souveran. At $40 a bottle (use code Autopia for 10% off) it's as good as it gets. If you want to spend a little more $$, go with some Dodo Rainforest Rub or some of Drew Elias' handmade waxes (Son1c wax).

Paint correction first though is the key to the deep, swirl-free finish we all cherish.

Users who are viewing this thread