Turtle Wax Black Box Polixh

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
lol @ tinted product to "enhance" the black.

prolly looks nice for a few days until the tint fades, since it likely has zero durability.

get yourself a real detail kit, polish the paint with a PC and good product, seal it and top it off with some Dodo Juice Purple Haze. You wont be just temporarily covering the blemishes and swirls with "colored products" youll be eradicating them completely and sealing/waxing your finish the right way.

mystic04

Established Member
Like said above it just cover the swirls marks and things i seen it used on a vett did a half decent job but wears off quick.why hide wehn you can learn how to remove.

SoCalHarley

SC32VGT
Established Member
I have used Turtle Wax Color Magic for years... this is their black colored liquid polish/wax. It does a great job maintaining good looks on a black car. The colored product will fill many small imperfections and swirl marks. I know to the pureists the idea of this is lame but I can tell you it works well and it sounds like the Black Box has taken the Color Magic to the next level with prep products that are color matched as well as a better wax. The issue comes down to how often you want to buff out the swirls to keep the car looking perfect. Doing it the "right" way is preferrable but for some the effort involved and the frequency having to do that may not be worth it. I have a PortaCable high speed buffer and all of the equipment to do it the right way and will go that route every couple of years. The color matched wax keeps the car looking great in between and can be done in a half hour or so by hand. I guess the Black Box takes a few hours due to all of the steps but still relatively a quick process. My car is garaged and not alot of rain here in SoCal so durability has not been an issue where it may be for some in harsh climates. For 20 bucks I would think it is worth the try.
Interestingly, I was looking at the Dodo Juice product and it appears they use a color matched approach to some degree as well.... "After the original Dodo Juice formulation was created, colored oils were blended into the different wax variations to make them easy to tell apart; the dark wax 'soft' recipe with montan wax and dark beeswax was colored deep purple, for example. These oils are strong enough to discolor foam applicators and microfibers (like any oil, they usually wash out with a strong detergent) and they can therefore 'color-charge' the paintwork. Although extremely subtle and often invisible to even a determined glance, there will be some coloration at a microscopic level. This can enhance the color of the paint in some circumstances, but don't count on it. Hey, we're just being honest. "

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
Interestingly, I was looking at the Dodo Juice product and it appears they use a color matched approach to some degree as well.... "After the original Dodo Juice formulation was created, colored oils were blended into the different wax variations to make them easy to tell apart; the dark wax 'soft' recipe with montan wax and dark beeswax was colored deep purple, for example. These oils are strong enough to discolor foam applicators and microfibers (like any oil, they usually wash out with a strong detergent) and they can therefore 'color-charge' the paintwork. Although extremely subtle and often invisible to even a determined glance, there will be some coloration at a microscopic level. This can enhance the color of the paint in some circumstances, but don't count on it. Hey, we're just being honest. "

Lemme underline and bold the statements that are most important.

coolcobramatt

Mystified and terminated
Established Member
how do u apply tht stuff^..pc or by hand..ill buy sum and give it a shot as well

Supernatural is so gawd awful expensive you should use a foam applicator, not a microfiber, as the mf will "suck up" the wax, and therefore waste a portion. It's so fine you can apply it extremely light and still get a good coat on it. Invest in some of their primelime light prep and use that first.

Supernatural can be applied with bare hands, and some of the detail freaks swear by that. You can put a little in your palm and rub it around, it will break down in your palm to a semi-liquid state, thus fingertips can be used as the applicator.

Buy the small 30ml trial tub first, you can do your car 3-4 times with just that.

Black03Mach

Smoked Tail Lights
Established Member
I have used Turtle Wax Color Magic for years... this is their black colored liquid polish/wax. It does a great job maintaining good looks on a black car. The colored product will fill many small imperfections and swirl marks. I know to the pureists the idea of this is lame but I can tell you it works well and it sounds like the Black Box has taken the Color Magic to the next level with prep products that are color matched as well as a better wax. The issue comes down to how often you want to buff out the swirls to keep the car looking perfect. Doing it the "right" way is preferrable but for some the effort involved and the frequency having to do that may not be worth it. I have a PortaCable high speed buffer and all of the equipment to do it the right way and will go that route every couple of years. The color matched wax keeps the car looking great in between and can be done in a half hour or so by hand. I guess the Black Box takes a few hours due to all of the steps but still relatively a quick process. My car is garaged and not alot of rain here in SoCal so durability has not been an issue where it may be for some in harsh climates. For 20 bucks I would think it is worth the try.

You really should only need to machine polish swirls out once a year or less...id investigate your wash method as you should not be introducing swirls. regardless if the black box works or not with a good wash regimen you should not need to use a swirl masking product for a while.

as for the dodo juice products, they will work as well as whats underneath them...supernatural while being expensive looks absolutely gorgeous on top of a perfect surface, but so does some less expensive waxes...
two perfect examples:

Supernatural after a light machine polish with menzerna p106ff nano finish
3626456789_8fe8bd3a1b_o.jpg

Poorboys world Natty's blue paste wax after a quick application of clearkote rmg:
3692540674_5b8b799efd_o.jpg

and just to make things a tad more fun:
my old mach1 after nxt 1.0
3509818975_072bfd4521_o.jpg

SoCalHarley

SC32VGT
Established Member
DoDo Juice telling you that while they do contain a dye, it does jack shit.

Turtle wax is telling you the dye is what makes their product "stand out" from the rest.

So DoDO Juices dye does jack shit and Turtle waxes dye works... don't buy DoDo Juice if you want a product that will mask imperfections. Thanks for pointing that out...

postalbunny

Established Member
After the initial post I started researching kits for the PC... anyone seen this orbital?

FLEX XC3401 XMT Light Swirl Remover Kit, XMT Ultra Fine Swirl Remover 1, FLEX XC 3401 Buffer, car polish

Seems to be an extra $100 over a PC, but is still an orbital... thinking this may help keep someone from burning up their paint.

With that in mind... this appears to have everything I need in one pack to get swirl marks.

Wolfgang Porter Cable 7424 Swirl-Free Kit

Any opinions on the starter kits? Originally wanted to keep it under $200, but lessons learned = do it right the first time. I still have plenty of Meg NX to last the rest of the year.

Black03Mach

Smoked Tail Lights
Established Member
After the initial post I started researching kits for the PC... anyone seen this orbital?

FLEX XC3401 XMT Light Swirl Remover Kit, XMT Ultra Fine Swirl Remover 1, FLEX XC 3401 Buffer, car polish

Seems to be an extra $100 over a PC, but is still an orbital... thinking this may help keep someone from burning up their paint.

With that in mind... this appears to have everything I need in one pack to get swirl marks.

Wolfgang Porter Cable 7424 Swirl-Free Kit

Any opinions on the starter kits? Originally wanted to keep it under $200, but lessons learned = do it right the first time. I still have plenty of Meg NX to last the rest of the year.

Id reccomend you check this link out:
DI Packages Porter Cable 7424 XP, Meguiar's Polish and Hydro Pads
It comes in at your price point, and with the meguiars m105 you will be able to remove deeper defects than the what the wolfgangs will do, and m205 will finish very nicely. This kit comes with two more pads, and since you have nxt (which is a pretty good sealant) you wont need to spend money on the wolfgang sealant. The Microfiber bonnets they send you are worthless for removing wax (by hand is better).
I buy alot from Detailed image, Id poke around their site a bit and see what other stuff you can add.
Detailed Image - Premium Auto Detailing Supplies

on edit: the flex is an awesome buffer, but for the price i stepped up to a rotary and correct more and finish done nicer (well until meguiars m105 and m205 came out)

Last edited:

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
So DoDO Juices dye does jack shit and Turtle waxes dye works... don't buy DoDo Juice if you want a product that will mask imperfections. Thanks for pointing that out...

simply masking imperfections is half-assing IMO.

do it right and kill imperfections and you wont have anything to mask.

Keep buying a crap product and getting crap results. Real detailers know whats up.

SoCalHarley

SC32VGT
Established Member

Keep buying a crap product and getting crap results. Real detailers know whats up.
Glad you are a real detailer and know whats up.... no one other than yourself is debating the fact that removing the imperfections and swirls is the better way to do things but these color matched products do work on a black car... everyone understands that "real detailers" like yourself couldn't possibly admit these types of products might actually have some benefit but that is OK... use what you want and works for you and I will use Turtle Wax's "crap" product and keep my car looking great without buffing the car out every couple of months.

Do you even own a black car or have had to maintain one year after year? I believe your Cobra is red isn't it?

Black03Mach

Smoked Tail Lights
Established Member

Glad you are a real detailer and know whats up.... no one other than yourself is debating the fact that removing the imperfections and swirls is the better way to do things but these color matched products do work on a black car... everyone understands that "real detailers" like yourself couldn't possibly admit these types of products might actually have some benefit but that is OK... use what you want and works for you and I will use Turtle Wax's "crap" product and keep my car looking great without buffing the car out every couple of months.

Do you even own a black car or have had to maintain one year after year? I believe your Cobra is red isn't it?

i agree swirl filling/hiding does have its place in detailing, what if you had a car with thin clear paint and glazing is your only option?

btw socal harley if you want a good product to fill and lost longer than turtle wax black box, try danase wet glaze topped with bit hambler autobalm they are both sealants which by nature are long lasting compared to the carnauba wax in the black box

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member

Owned......my 02 GT was black. Had a 94 Tbird that was black as well. If I knew back then what I know now, both those cars would still be black.... Ive worked on a few other black cars. My buddy had a black 05 SRT4 that was INSANE. Worked on another buddy's black MR2. I remember when I thought real detailing was a wash and wax with OTC product, would always get pissed after a days work of washing and waxing, stepping back and going "wtf, did i even do anything? i mean, it beads up nicely, but it still looks like shit" and people said "thats cause its black" and i took that as verbatim and vowed never to own a black car ever again.

Id buy another black car (maybe a black 03/04 Coupe?) if the price was right and the paint was still in the realm where I could rescue it.

I use Optimum PolySeal after a good compound/polishing and then top that with Nattys Blue. Now that DoDo has the 6pack 30oz samplers, gonna pick that up my next order, cant wait to see what Purple Haze does to a black car with proper work.

Users who are viewing this thread