Turbonator or Whipplenator?

MurphinAintEasy

Established Member
So, the Terminator Cobra/GT500 is on my list of things to own before I die. I have always wanted that coiled Cobra on my fender to scare away lesser vehicles. I'm deploying to Iraq soon. On my first deployment I planned on saving for a GT500, but me being finacially retarded back then I didn't. So now when I get back I will look for reasonably priced GT500s, but being married doesn't help. This is where the Terminator has been calling me. So lets talk mods. Whipple or Turbo set up? I love the way both fell and drive/sound. Can anyone with experience help? I want about 650WHP. I've driven a friends 600WHP GT500 with the stock Eaton. He always bitched about how higher in RPM it fell flat. I want to put about 8K in the engine.

Posi

Had a blast.
Established Member
If you're starting from scratch I'd find out which one you want and buy it finished already. You'll save a small fortune and get a very nice/fast car done right. If you're picky.

Alb Cobra

Established Member
Get a turbo if you fear the flatness. To me in my experience the seat of the pants feel is all in the torque curve. My turbo would always pull me back in my seat where as my pullied car would not.

I have had both and now I am back to the blower just cause the engine blew....I miss the feeling and power of my old set up. If it was not for driving my car for seven month i would be a little bugged.

MurphinAintEasy

Established Member
Get a turbo if you fear the flatness. To me in my experience the seat of the pants feel is all in the torque curve. My turbo would always pull me back in my seat where as my pullied car would not.

I have had both and now I am back to the blower just cause the engine blew....I miss the feeling and power of my old set up. If it was not for driving my car for seven month i would be a little bugged.

When you were running your turbo, how much power where you making? How much did it all cost you in the end?

Alb Cobra

Established Member
When you were running your turbo, how much power where you making? How much did it all cost you in the end?

Probably +/- 600rwhp at 15 psi. Never put it on the dyno. My tuner and I would just take it out on the closed road and do pulls and data log the parameters. To that note it was a totally different animal at 17 psi but I backed it down so I would not blow the engine. Fuel line split at 15 psi anyways and I melted a piston :fm:

I believe I puchased all my turbo components for roughly the price of an off the shelf kit. My friend did all the fabrication. The set up I had would probably run you about 6000$ (this price includes all the 01 cobra/mach 1 parts required) + fabrication cause it I wanted a different turbo and air to air cooler than what was offered by the off the shelf kits.

Too bad you weren't looking a few months ago. I had a hell of a time getting all the stuff I traded my turbo kit for.

I think eventurally I will upgrade to a mid size pd blower (hopefully whipple will make something in between the 2.3 and 3.4 by then) or if i have the $$$ I will get a twin turbo set up. Not custom this time cause I want to be albe to put the entire set up on over a weeks time. Can't stand to not be able to drive my car.

Seemed like the turbo set up would be about twice as much basically starting from scratch. With a biger blower if you already have the fuel mods you just swap it out.

Last edited:

c6zhombre

E85 NutSwinger
Established Member
i vote for the super duper triple compounded, twin spools feeding a whipple with a huge shot of nawz.....the infamous turbo-whipple-nawz-enator :D:thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread