Turboing with a carb

sixt5

Established Member
can you modify a carb (600 holley vac secondaries) to work as a blow through? im seriously thinking turbo on the 65.

example pics:
1exhaustsidezp6.jpg

1adp3av1.jpg

1adp2fu3.jpg

i have to mount mine on the passenger side due to power steering pump on the driver.

01yellercobra

Established Member
There are carbs designed just for that. They have seals around the throttle blade shafts and changes are made internally to the power valve and metering blocks. Or you can use an enclosure. Since the carb is sealed you can use your current carb.

Last edited:

88mmRocket

Established Member
There are carbs designed just for that. They have seals around the throttle blade shafts and changes are maffe internally to the power valve and metering blocks. Or you can use an enclosure. Since the carb is sealed you can use your current carb.

not all of this statement is true.

I would get a mech secondary carb and go from there. But, to answer the question yes carbs can be made to work and do it very well. there are multiple options as far as building the carb. Mainly the biggest thing you need to do is figure out your goal for the car/motor combo. There are numerous blow thru carb builders out there and if I were you I would join theturboforums.com and READ, READ, and READ some more!

Good luck!

CPRsm

Hey, I recognize those pics. How much HP and boost will have a big role in what you need to change. Up to about 500 doesn't need much in the way of changes.

sixt5

Established Member
im right about 240 hp and 300 tq. (i dynoed little lower numbers before head work so i bumped it up a little bit).

im GUESSING 8.5 pistons. i dont detonate on cheap gas and if i gained 100 horse it would be great cause i'd prolly gain 125+ torque. these 289s are torquey it seems like.

maybe 7-8 psi?

CPRsm

Honestly I would do nitrous if you are only looking for 100 hp more. If you do it all yourself it's probably going to be about 4k or so. But a double pumper lightly modded would work fine for 7-8 psi

sixt5

Established Member
no way will i have 4k into it. 200 turbo, 600ish for new carb, 100 piping, 100 carb hat, plus intercooler (if i use one), and a o2 sensor setup.

CPRsm

To do it right you will be close, even with a cheap turbo. You forgot

25 dollar carb gasket that won't blow (actually 8 dollar gasket, 15 to ship it !!!)
100 in couplers
30 in clamps
150 in v-bands
1200 or so in the fuel system
225 BOV
240 WG
125 or so for oil feed lines and drain (oil pan gasket to re-install pan after new bung welded in)
fuel pressure and boost gauge would be nice, plus mounts and lines, 150 ?
new plugs
probably new fan
single plane intake if you have a dual, and all the gaskets, oil and coolant to go with.
Your current mufflers probably aren't a straight thru design, new ones plus material.
Gear change if you have the standard 4/11 or 3.73's.
Plus a whole lotta I can't think of I'm sure. It's not JUST the turbo kit that will cost you money.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread