Turbo. Smoke.

JTS_7

Established Member
I am having a weird issue with smoke. This is a rare occurrence which has me chasing my tail. It only happens under moderate/hard braking coming up to a stop light, only momentarily just a little cloud of smoke that quickly dipurses. Car does not smoke under power cruising or in boost, and it does not smoke idling. Checked over the tune and all is fine there.

Twin turbo car with two -10 drains. The drains are straight down, no kinks or anything that would prevent flow back into the pan. Drains on turbos are vertical. Checked the turbos and there is no oil in the compressor housing or downpipes.

Turbos have built in restrictiors on the fittings.

:shrug:

The absolute only thing I can think of is, the guy I had weld the bungs on my oil pan put one in the front just under the balancer. Maybe it's getting blocked with oil under braking or oil is going up into the drain?? Not sure, since there are no traces of oil passing seals. He has done this for quite a few people and most likely his own car and I've yet to hear anything about it.

Any ideas?

Fabbed5.0

Established Member
I am having a weird issue with smoke. This is a rare occurrence which has me chasing my tail. It only happens under moderate/hard braking coming up to a stop light, only momentarily just a little cloud of smoke that quickly dipurses. Car does not smoke under power cruising or in boost, and it does not smoke idling. Checked over the tune and all is fine there.

Twin turbo car with two -10 drains. The drains are straight down, no kinks or anything that would prevent flow back into the pan. Drains on turbos are vertical. Checked the turbos and there is no oil in the compressor housing or downpipes.

The absolute only thing I can think of is, the guy I had weld the bungs on my oil pan put one in the front just under the balancer. Maybe it's getting blocked with oil under braking or oil is going up into the drain?? Not sure, since there are no traces of oil passing seals. He has done this for quite a few people and most likely his own car and I've yet to hear anything about it.

Any ideas?

No issues with my car or any others. This guy who welded them must not know what he doing lololol.

slagburn

SVT Crazy Poster
Established Member

Any ideas?

Mine are in the same place and no smoke, but I don't really rail on the brakes much.. I bet the oil level while running is just below that return location, pan baffle or no with a hard stop it probably backs the drains up for a second.

JTS_7

Established Member
No issues with my car or any others.

That's my point. Not sure why mine is smoking......

Was looking for ideas of things to check. Since ive pretty much checked everything that could be a possible cause and have come up empty handed.

Over my car smoking if you know what I mean, not a good look.

JTS_7

Established Member
Mine are in the same place and no smoke, but I don't really rail on the brakes much.. I bet the oil level while running is just below that return location, pan baffle or no with a hard stop it probably backs the drains up for a second.

Ive been trying to really pay attention to when exactly it happens. From what I gathered it seems to be under braking solely.

I think I will check the oil level. If I remember correctly my buddy filled the oil in the car while he was helping wrap up odds and ends of the install. Maybe he put too much, I doubt it though.

Users who are viewing this thread