turbo question

venm4u97

Established Member
im sure its been asked a ton of times but im going a different route with my 97 cobra...so whats better...single or twin turbo.....looking to make 1000 hp more a little more with a 314 ci boss stage 3 ported heads and e 85.....also what size turbos...been looking at hellion quite a bit....dont really feel like piecing together a kit myself either....thanks

itSSlow98

Established Member
Auto or 6 speed? Twin billet 57s or 62s will get you there or a single precision 76 will get you close to 1,000. Personally I dislike having to deal with double everything for twins its just more work, tighter work areas, and twice the amount of things that can go wrong.

venm4u97

Established Member
Auto or 6 speed? Twin billet 57s or 62s will get you there or a single precision 76 will get you close to 1,000. Personally I dislike having to deal with double everything for twins its just more work, tighter work areas, and twice the amount of things that can go wrong.

6 speed for now...just want to have fun with rowin the gears until i get more serious then an auto....

ill still need a 76mm despite the the extra cubic inch,head work and e 85?

anything down fall of running a single?....much lag?

itSSlow98

Established Member
6 speed for now...just want to have fun with rowin the gears until i get more serious then an auto....

ill still need a 76mm despite the the extra cubic inch,head work and e 85?

anything down fall of running a single?....much lag?

With the precision 7675 you wont have much lag but its really gonna underperform with the 6 speed. Dont get me wrong its fun but it just wont be as fast as it could be. A friend of mine has a boss block 5.3 with stg 3 heads and cams with the hellion kit and twin 62mm turbonetics. He made 730rwhp through a 4r70 on 15-16psi and 93/meth.

If you plan to go auto in the future id just do a single personally and throw a bigger one on need be down the road. I still have the turbonetics 7668 and i have a th400 sitting here waiting to go in. The auto will virtually eliminate any lag if the converter is speced correctly.

venm4u97

Established Member
Hmm gotcha......i ran a blow thru setip on my si trim kit...could i run a blow thru turbo set up?....would it sound any different?....kinda looking for a nasty spool sound

itSSlow98

Established Member
Hmm gotcha......i ran a blow thru setip on my si trim kit...could i run a blow thru turbo set up?....would it sound any different?....kinda looking for a nasty spool sound

Kinda confused by what you mean. Most kits including hellion come with a draw thru maf and converting that to blow thru is better for tunability and also lets you use a smaller maf for larger power levels.

You can also run an open wastegate vented to the atmospohsere or recirculate it into the exhaust. I run mine open because thats less air into the downpipe but it is extremely loud when it opens and you dont hear much whistle.

venm4u97

Established Member
Kinda confused by what you mean. Most kits including hellion come with a draw thru maf and converting that to blow thru is better for tunability and also lets you use a smaller maf for larger power levels.

You can also run an open wastegate vented to the atmospohsere or recirculate it into the exhaust. I run mine open because thats less air into the downpipe but it is extremely loud when it opens and you dont hear much whistle.

basically as your taking it up in rpms....whistle sound or w.e....Is there anything i would have to change to run blow thru other then the mass air meter with the hellion?....Is it good or bad to run with a open down pipe?....I know that can be pretty loud....also recommend goin with the ball bearing upgrade?.....and whats your current set up?....have any vids? thanks

USACHMP

Established Member
If you're looking for 1000whp don't do a "kit" custom piping will be better in the end. Trust me. Look at the 8284 precision.

USACHMP

Established Member
I picked up about 50hp just by doing custom piping. Had the hellion kit before. It was good but not great

whitevenum

Auto 1000whp= Insanity
Established Member
Twins are better but more expensive. Twin 5858 double ball bearing lightweight wheel will give you over a 1000whp. But than you have the problem of what kit your going to use. The hp kits were the best but the guys stopped making them. The hellion kit are whatever, not going to get your 1000 with it. I also went 3" all around myself and i have the HP kit on mine. Check my threads for pictures. If you can find one, BUY IT! If not your going to have to custom make one. If someone can fabricate you a turbo setup just like it, with the turbos away from the motor that what you want.

itSSlow98

Established Member
Twins are better but more expensive. Twin 5858 double ball bearing lightweight wheel will give you over a 1000whp. But than you have the problem of what kit your going to use. The hp kits were the best but the guys stopped making them. The hellion kit are whatever, not going to get your 1000 with it. I also went 3" all around myself and i have the HP kit on mine. Check my threads for pictures. If you can find one, BUY IT! If not your going to have to custom make one. If someone can fabricate you a turbo setup just like it, with the turbos away from the motor that what you want.

:dw:

Im not a Hellion fanboy cause if I had bought the kit myself I would have went cg fab most likely but the hellion twin kit will most definetly get you 1,000. A friend of mine made 750rwhp through a 4r70 on 15psi. Turn it up to 26 and itll make 1,000.

whitevenum

Auto 1000whp= Insanity
Established Member
:dw:

Im not a Hellion fanboy cause if I had bought the kit myself I would have went cg fab most likely but the hellion twin kit will most definetly get you 1,000. A friend of mine made 750rwhp through a 4r70 on 15psi. Turn it up to 26 and itll make 1,000.

Turn it up to 26 and see what she'll make. Use it a few times and if the kit folds up than good stuff. I myself havent heard good things and the cars i know that use them dont like them. Id go custom or HP kit before id ever get that kit if im looking for serious performance.

97LaserRed

Fresh
Established Member
I picked up about 50hp just by doing custom piping. Had the hellion kit before. It was good but not great

+1 I used to have a first gen on3 kit and did a custom forward facing header kit and made 100+ whp through out the rpm range on the same master power turbo. My advice go with a custom kit and do it right, do it once.

whitevenum

Auto 1000whp= Insanity
Established Member
+1 I used to have a first gen on3 kit and did a custom forward facing header kit and made 100+ whp through out the rpm range on the same master power turbo. My advice go with a custom kit and do it right, do it once.

Exactly. Forward facing headers is the way to go. Better spool time and more power. Putting the turbos in the front bumper make the engine run a lot cool. Makes driving on the street that much better.
It all comes down to what you want and how much your looking to spend. If your looking for the best and your going to be keeping the car than get your own piping made or like i said look for an HP kit. Also having a turbo cobra with a 1000 at the wheels makes the manual trans useless. Your going to have to go auto for the car to perform.

dwtjr3

Established Member
whitevenum, where is your turbo placed?

Any of you guys have pictures of your cold side?

Users who are viewing this thread