Turbo Question

SVT X 2

I C U
Established Member
Hopefully someone knows here and is not guessing....
Do you think a trubo car would benifit from NOT having a cat-convert and just mufflers, or a hi-flow cat and no mufflers?

kwiksnake

Established Member
I don't think any of that would have an effect on the turbo itself, it would be the same as any other car, since the turbo is before all that stuff. The reall issue you have to deal with is street legality (emissions if you have it in your state) and NOISE! Without any mufflers at all it will be loud.

SVT X 2

I C U
Established Member
Oh I'd definitly have mufflers on if I took out the cat... tha'd be scary loud if I didn't :eek:

I just think the stock cat is getting plugged and was pondering the options...

TurboSnake

Established Member
By all means keep the exhaust flow as free flowing as possible,if you can get away without the cats,get rid of them and always use a straight-thru style muffler like a Borla or Dynomax race magnum,don't worry about the sound,the turbos will muffle the exhaust anyway.

STAY AWAY FROM CHAMBERED MUFFLERS
They are too restrictive.
:burnout:

Booyah

Cantankerously Blunt
Established Member
Originally posted by TurboSnake
By all means keep the exhaust flow as free flowing as possible,if you can get away without the cats,get rid of them and always use a straight-thru style muffler like a Borla or Dynomax race magnum,don't worry about the sound,the turbos will muffle the exhaust anyway.

STAY AWAY FROM CHAMBERED MUFFLERS
They are too restrictive.
:burnout:

You have the exact wheels I will be getting. What backspacing did you go with for the rear?

TurboSnake

Established Member
My rear wheels have a 7 inch backspacing.

Yes,for turbo applications the chambered mufflers have to much airflow restriction,when I went from Flowmasters to Race Magnums I picked up approx. 20 rwhp.

SVT X 2

I C U
Established Member
Originally posted by TurboSnake

Yes,for turbo applications the chambered mufflers have to much airflow restriction,when I went from Flowmasters to Race Magnums I picked up approx. 20 rwhp.
Wow... I'll keep that in mind, thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread