Turbo motor????

tony_03COBRA

Established Member
What would be a good turbo motor (cubic inch wish)? Also what size turbo would be good? I want to build a street/strip car and I kind of want it to be reliable. Looking for somewhere in the ballpark of 750-850rwhp. I know its gonna cost alot but i need something to do over the winter months until i move to florida. What better way to do it but build a project car!!!! Any answer into the right directions would be awesome cause iam clueless.

hj16

Established Member
If I had to pick it'd be:

351C w/ all the neccesary internals
T76 Single Turbo

Do it right and you'll have a monster on your hands.

davidmax

Established Member
Sean Hyland motorsport 5.2 litre aluminum stroker,saves over 100 lbs. on the front end and they are rev happy tqe'y motors.With a SHM TT kit you can get 900 rrwhp EZ and I would suggest a auto swap so you can get some hook up.
Its basically what I am completed doing except I have to finish testing and strretability with the "F" series race model capable of supporting 1500+ ponnies.I run an Accel Gen7 stand alone system and a 275 litre per hour pump with KB Boost a pump into a retun fuel system off a 99 Cobra and 94Lb. injectors
We took her down she was making 833 rrwhp and were looking to get 1100-1200 ponnies out of her.My basic goal is I own a Lingenfelter the Rousch/Sean Hyland of Chev in Decatur Indiana and beat his fastest rendition of my car.I put 866 to the wheels he puts out about 335 more rear HP and he was the 1st Vette to break the 8's with a 8.95.I want to pummle his 7 litres with my 5.2 (who said cubes win races,smarts and engineering enter into the equation as well)
If we cant beat him with Mahovitz driving the newly automatic equiped version with Ti rods and heads good for 11,000 rpm after SEMA we will swap out to twin turbos which the cars set up for and we know were good for 8.50's or better.
The highly moded IRS will stay in place and if it holds Sean will sell it to the Cobra owners that want an IRS like myself I love a great handling cara nd its lowered by 2"'s as well.Koni hanndling shocks the rear is adjustable and has ladder bars,the 1st pair made for IRS I have heard of.
Wish us luck I would love to see a blower on a 5.2 blow doors off a 25 lb. boost auto trans 7 litre Daytona motor.I know the power of the car I own one and from what the rumor mill says its about 300 hp stronger than my Z06.If I bolted slicks on I could probably turn a 9.75 at 160 mph or so with street tires 10.90 best.
So lets show our top tuner IMHO against there 2nd best tuner(ours being #1)Sean Hyland being tops for Ford actually tied with Saleen because of Fords codes are in there safe,Sean masters it alone in a shop dwarfed in comparison with Saleens 2500 employees,never knew how HUGE they are,Dave Smilovic.
PS rememeber 5.2 litre VS 7.0 C5R potent motor,over 600 rrwhp stock from the box,Dave

chknhwk

Originally posted by tony_03COBRA
What would be a good turbo motor (cubic inch wish)? Also what size turbo would be good? I want to build a street/strip car and I kind of want it to be reliable. Looking for somewhere in the ballpark of 750-850rwhp. I know its gonna cost alot but i need something to do over the winter months until i move to florida. What better way to do it but build a project car!!!! Any answer into the right directions would be awesome cause iam clueless.

You can get that rwhp goal with anythign from a 4.6L to a 5.4L with the right sized turbo(s). Some guys might even hit that with V6's. The size of the engine that's best for you is more determined by budget, whether you have something to work with already, and driving style. If you want a lot of low end torque with high end power I'd say a DOHC 5.4L with an appropriately sized turbo. The sizing turbo part is where it gets tricky - I'd recommend you read a lot before you'd be able to venture a guess into that aspect.

Good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread