Turbo kits

Gavinb_SVT

Established Member
I'm looking to get a turbo kit for my car. (96 Cobra) I'm trying to get some feed back on some good kits that aren't too pricey. Has anyone tried the on3performance one?

98cobra#1222

that's just my game
Established Member
Use the search function or google search it, there is literally hundreds of threads on on3. I am currently in the middle of installing one on my '98 and for the price it seems like a decent kit but just some honest advice, cheap and turbo do not belong in the same sentence when it comes to these cars and cars in general. I don't no what your budget is but triple it to get a good turbo set up that will last and make good power.

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?784998-On3-Performance-Turbo-Kit-Install

Tabres

Not without incident
Established Member

A word of caution to anyone expecting their installation to go similar to ModularSpeed's - he had a lot of creature comforts deleted from that car. As I recall, there was no A/C, no power steering, no front sway-bar, etc. on that car. That made things largely easier for him. That's not to say that an On3 kit doesn't fit well these days, I have no first hand experience with them to say one way or the other. From what I see online, people do tend to run into a range of issues with them, though. The largest complaint I see is that their v-bands are pretty poor quality.

That being said, every car is different and you shouldn't expect something like a turbo kit to just bolt on without a little work here and there, especially when you start mixing aftermarket parts with other aftermarket parts.

Last edited:

98cobra#1222

that's just my game
Established Member
A word of caution to anyone expecting their installation to go similar to ModularSpeed's - he had a lot of creature comforts deleted from that car. As I recall, there was no A/C, no power steering, no front sway-bar, etc. on that car. That made things largely easier for him. That's not to say that an On3 kit doesn't fit well these days, I have no first hand experience with them to say one way or the other. From what I see online, people do tend to run into a range of issues with them, though. The largest complaint I see is that their v-bands are pretty poor quality.

That being said, every car is different and you shouldn't expect something like a turbo kit to just bolt on without a little work here and there, especially when you start mixing aftermarket parts with other aftermarket parts.

Very good point on his car being gutted, for lack of a better term. So far mine fits relatively well and looks as though I will be able to retain my AC, ABS, swaybar, power steering, ect. Though it is really tight and even the smallest misalignment in the pipes makes all the spare room quickly disappear. I do need to move my radiator forward but I believe that's my turbo selection more than the kits fault, I am running a 78mm as opposed to the 70mm that its designed for. I have placed an order for new v bands, I couldn't even get mine on, from RPS but that will take 4 weeks to get. Seems the kits from on3 fit a lot better then they did say 3-4 years ago.

Still even if the kit fits perfect and little to no modifications need to be done there really isn't a good way to do a cheap turbo build. Supporting mods alone will be more then the turbo kit by a significant amount.

Last edited:

Tabres

Not without incident
Established Member
Still even if the kit fits perfect and little to no modifications needing to be done there really isn't a good way to do a cheap turbo build. Supporting mods alone will be more then the turbo kit by a significant amount.

This man speaks the truth. You'll get nickle and dimed to death in areas you didn't even think about.

Users who are viewing this thread