Turbo Kit on Cobra?

PrinceSlik

Established Member
$6,500 :eek: :cryying:

wow, I figured I could find a kit for around 3,500 bucks.....maybe i'll end up going with a supercharger......are turbo kits a lot more then superchargers?

trplblacksnake

Alcohol disposal unit!
Established Member
alot better thats my 2 cents. No loss of power because of the belt running it. Its spooled by exhaust. In order to up the boost all you have to do is push a button instead of going home to your garage and adding a new pulley. Get into a race get your ass spanked with 8lbs of boost tell the guy you will race him for 200 bucks and boost it to 16 hell have some fun with it. Im getting one after the warranty is gone. Oh and by the way if some one sais its not safe. I have a friend runing a 85 GT with a stock engine. He bolted up a turbo kit and now he CAN key word there He can run a 10.4 that was his lowest time. That was on street tires and blowing them off all through first and second. Slicks will come soon.

trplblacksnake

Alcohol disposal unit!
Established Member
havent seen any numbers but I would love to see that thing on the dyno. he had had one of those before that was running 9s but he had some other aftermarket parts on it. he broke the oil pump rod though. On this one he put some sort of aftermarket electric oil pump.

trplblacksnake

Alcohol disposal unit!
Established Member
its all in the tuning honestly. If you dont have the car tuned properly you could blow up the engine on 8 psi. Turbos are very reliable too.

01cobrakid

Got DoHc?
Established Member
if there so reliable how come i havnt seen one single setup on an 01 street car?

disclaimer:dont mean to come off as an ass, trying to gain knowledge.

Mike

Doug

That Person.
Established Member
the reason that turbo kits are so much more expensive is 1) they are ALWAYS intercooled. and 2) sooo much stinking piping!!!

Turbochargers are just as safe, if not safer than a supercharger or nitrous. any power adder you add will increase the danger of blowing. but if you tune it right and don't crank up the boost - turbos are the way to go. They make more power at a given boost number.

JKD COBRA

The 6th Deadly Venom
Established Member
cobrakid - I think the reason there aren't many new mustangs with turbos is simply because so many people are used to superchargers and there are so many places that have complete kits so all you have to do is bolt it on, so everyone just assumes that is the way to go. There are not as many places that make complete kits for the 4.6L 4v. I think people just don't usually consider a turbo. Turbos are more reliable and make more power at lower boost than superchargers. Last time I heard, about 80%-90% of commercial vehicles use turbos as the power adder. And commercial vehicles will only use something that is reliable, because they want a vehicle that will make enough power, go from point A to point B, and do that for a long time.

The supras and skylines are making 600-1000rwhp with turbos, and the supra is only a 3.0L 6cylinder! As soon as my warranty is up, I will go with a turbo.

IUP99snake

The Shocker
Established Member
I should have explained myself more adaquately.
I didnt mean that turbos were not reliable. I just meant that the supercharger companies have a well-designed, well-rounded kit that has been proven in thousands of vehicles.

Originally posted by Sonic Storm
IUP99snake, what kind of numbers are you making with those mods?

Not sure yet. I didnt have a chance to dyno it. The walbro 255LPH fuel pump died, so I had to put the stock one in for now.

It also hasnt been tuned yet, and has the factory H-pipe. Im not even gonna waste dyno time until I chuck it. Also, I want to get that powerpipe on there.

It runs mean as hell, though. Im guessing about 425RWHP.

-Homer

wrenchhead46

Established Member
If you are really in need of the massive extra power from a turbo kit, why not just wait a little longer for the Kenne Belle Twin Screw supercharger kit. Definately badass. Also remember though that with systems this extreme, you better start thinking about spending equal amounts on other mods to get your engine and drivetrain ready for the incredible amounts of power youre introducing. This is why kits like the ones from procharger and vortech are so great. Nice power band, low boost, has everything you need, affordable(somewhat). Or you could go with a nitrous system:thumbsup: but thats a whole other story!
Good luck.

MystiChrome Coupe

Established Member
Originally posted by KevinJKD
the kenne bell kit has been out for a month or two

I thought kenne bell put the '99 & '01 Cobra superchargers on the "back burner". This was a quote directly from K.B.:??:

JKD COBRA

The 6th Deadly Venom
Established Member
Oh, I thought he meant the one for the 03. Either way, a turbo will produce better numbers at lower boost.

32vFromHell

Established Member
when i get enough money to do this, im going to go full bore, and get P&P FR500 heads, polished intake, built 5.0 big bore, and a fat turbo kit. No question about it.

IUP99snake

The Shocker
Established Member
Originally posted by Sonic Storm
IUP99snake, what kind of numbers are you making with those mods?

461rwhp/431rwtq

11.5:1 - 12:1 A/F ratio across the board, all the way up to 6800.

Thats with the stock cats, the supplied procharger tune, and a Mass air meter thats pegging out at 5.2 volts!

We put that 4" morpheus powerpipe on, and it added about 4LBS of boost.... but I didnt see any horsepower gains because of the pegged LMAF, and my factory H-Pipe (with 4 cats)

Im pretty confident ill see 500 at the wheels when I change those three items.

-Homer

Users who are viewing this thread