Turbo Kit Help

Blown90LX

Established Member
I am going twin turbo but have been doing a lot of research and can't seem to decide which kit to go with. I spoke with Hellion, HPP, and Turbo Horsepower and I'm stuck. What kit do all you turbo guys recommend? I am trying to make around 900 whp with a 6 sp (for now) so I was thinking 62s or 64s. Motor is getting pulled now and being sent out to get built with all good pieces. Also, do you recommend a lot of head work and some custom cams or are the gains minimal in a turbo application? I was about to have them completely ported and some custom cams done to use with my 3.4 crusher but decided to go turbo instead. I am not a mechanic and know absolutely nothing about turbos so please forgive all the questions. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Juiced46

I love being Blown
Established Member
A set of Billet 6262s will do the trick.

The Hellion kit is the cheaper option. Downfall is low mounted turbos and oil drainback issues. You will need to use a scavenge pump. Not a huge deal just another piece to the puzzle. Hellion may actually supply it with the kit not 100% sure.

HPP is a very good kit but your most expensive of the bunch and you have to cut up the car slightly, not a huge deal.

THP I believe has some fitment/clearance issues but nothing to major.

As far as headwork and cams. You will benefit for sure from headwork and cams as long as its spec'd out correctly. The question is how much $$$ you want to spend? Headwork, valves, valve springs cams will cost a pretty penny but will be worth the $$.

For example. A very good friend of mine had an identical Hellion single 76mm turbo set as me. Only difference in our cars was he had ported heads and custom cams. He made 130rwhp more then me with 2psi less of boost....

If your cams are spec'd correctly to your setup (engine, intake, turbo choice all play a role) you will get some very good benefits from them.

What are your plans for building the engine? IMO, do not buy into all the hype about strokers, Boss 5.0s etc etc. They are not needed. Your best bet is to find an unmolested 05-10 4.6 Mustang GT Alum block or a Teksid. Just clean it up, it does not need to be bored or any of that. Keep it a 4.6 with a CR of around 9.5-10.5:1 depending on what fueling you plan on running. There are tons of guys running in the 8s on 4.6 non stroker setups and street cars with similar setups.

JetmechF16

Under Pressure
Established Member
Premium Member
Top Shelf Gentlemen
If you have the budget for it I'd definitely go HPP, I love the way their downpipes are routed through the k-member and not under it.

Users who are viewing this thread