Turbo Guys Please Come In...

03Cobra04GT

Under Construction
Established Member
I have a question....my friend's has an 03 Cobra and it currently has a Built Motor, Whipple, Crower Cams, Ported and Polished Heads, etc... The car is making around 700 to the wheels. The car is daily driven and is taken to the track probably once a month. He is about to put the Turbo Horsepower Twin Turbo kit on his car. He will probably putting the 67's on the car. He has a 6 speed in the car now. He is thinking of going with an AODE with a trans-brake like a Lentech. How do you guys that have turbo's like the automatic or do you guys like the turbo's and 6 speed?? How is the automatic in traffic and daily driving?? What kind of automatic shifter is in the car and can you post pictures of it?? He is worried that the automatic shifter will look bad in the car. Sorry for such a long post. Thanks a lot.

Last edited:

blk04cobra1

1000rwhp coming soon
Established Member
You must be talking about Wiz...sorry, I browse a few forums. I think he'd be fine if he upgraded his trans a little bit. Ive got the stocker with a new clutch and it's held up for now. Who cares if he wants to go with an auto, I wouldnt think anything less...matter of fact, if i really wanted to track the car a ton, i'd go with an auto b/c they are so consistent.

03Cobra04GT

Under Construction
Established Member
blk04cobra1 said:
You must be talking about Wiz...sorry, I browse a few forums. I think he'd be fine if he upgraded his trans a little bit. Ive got the stocker with a new clutch and it's held up for now. Who cares if he wants to go with an auto, I wouldnt think anything less...matter of fact, if i really wanted to track the car a ton, i'd go with an auto b/c they are so consistent.
No, I am not talking about Wiz. The same guy that works on Wiz's car works on my buddy's car. My buddy's name is Robert and his car is Dark Shadow Grey with a 4 inch Carbon Fiber hood. The car will be driven daily and will see the track and street quite a bit. Does anyone have an auto in there Cobra with a turboed motor or even a high HP Whipple or KB car??? If so, how do you like it.

blk04cobra1

1000rwhp coming soon
Established Member
my bad...i thought i saw where he was going turbo and assumed...im sure someone else will chime in, but i only know of one turbo car with an auto

03Cobra04GT

Under Construction
Established Member
blk04cobra1 said:
my bad...i thought i saw where he was going turbo and assumed...im sure someone else will chime in, but i only know of one turbo car with an auto
Wiz may be going turbo....but who isn't these days. Anyone else have an AODE in a high hp car??

scottinhawaii

Powered by Multicam
Established Member
I can't answer all your questions in detail but I will add that an Automatic transmission is highly desirable on a turbo car because of the ability to build a load (which spools the turbos) while at a stop (such as launching at the track). This is of course coupled with a high stall converter.

03Cobra04GT

Under Construction
Established Member
scottinhawaii said:
I can't answer all your questions in detail but I will add that an Automatic transmission is highly desirable on a turbo car because of the ability to build a load (which spools the turbos) while at a stop (such as launching at the track). This is of course coupled with a high stall converter.
Yes, this is true. This car has a built rear end so I think that it can definatly handle the launch from the car loading which is good.

nix5o

Established Member
Svtowner has a built aode with manual valve body and trans brake in his car, and I think it does fine in the daily abuse. I think its a good all around car. If you pm me I'll give you the info on the traney builder. He built the aode with convertor installed for less than a lentech aode. The guy builds bullet proof traney's, he does the glide in my outlaw car too.

turbo2000gt

Established Member
I switched from a 3550 to a C4 in my car and I love it. I don't have track times with the auto yet due the tracks being closed for winter. The turbo responds much better with the auto but you have to get the proper converter to make everything work well together. I don't want to post pics of my shifter as I am not done with making it look pretty yet but I think it will turn out really well.

03Cobra04GT

Under Construction
Established Member
turbo2000gt said:
I switched from a 3550 to a C4 in my car and I love it. I don't have track times with the auto yet due the tracks being closed for winter. The turbo responds much better with the auto but you have to get the proper converter to make everything work well together. I don't want to post pics of my shifter as I am not done with making it look pretty yet but I think it will turn out really well.
Thats cool. When you get done please posta picture cause I want to see how the shifter looks in the newer interior of these cars.

03Cobra04GT

Under Construction
Established Member
turbo2000gt- How is the fun factor of the car after going from a 3550 to a C4??? Is the car fun to drive like it was shifting gears??? It may sound retarded but I hope you understand what I mean.

03InThe11s

i meant 10s :)
Established Member
he will be happy with the auto. might think of going with a 4r70 though. there was a whipple car runing around atlanta with one, and it worked out nicely.

off topic, but i see your from ocala. i just moved here from atlanta (ocklawaha, specificaly) and man there isnt much to do 'round here.

03InThe11s

i meant 10s :)
Established Member
ohh, and for a daily i would stay away from a C4. for a weekend car it wouldnt be bad, but highways would suck (be like riding around in 4th) but C4's are much cheaper, and generaly tougher than aode's and 4r70's

03Cobra04GT

Under Construction
Established Member
He definately want to go with the AODE so he can have the extra gear for going on the highway. Man there is nothing to do in Ocklawaha....there is not much to do in Ocala either but it is better than Ocklawaha. You should come up to Gainesville to the race track when it opens back up again and we hppefully we will have his Cobra up and running by then.

turbo2000gt

Established Member
03Cobra04GT said:
turbo2000gt- How is the fun factor of the car after going from a 3550 to a C4??? Is the car fun to drive like it was shifting gears??? It may sound retarded but I hope you understand what I mean.
I enjoy it much more than the manual. I've always had a manual in my car and I learned how to drive it pretty good. After awhile it gets tedious and becomes a hinderance having to bang gears.

The only reason I can see a manual being fun is for some spirited street-driving/corner-carving.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread