Turbo guys I need advice

ratfinkron

Established Member
Well I am looking to turbo my 96 Mystic this winter and I was wondering will a single 70mm be too big! My car is stock and I want about 480 rwhp on a safe setup. Thank you in advance for your advice

goat-ee

Established Member
My 62mm would be perfect for what you want, but if I could have chose, I would have went bigger for future improvements. So yea, I don't think a 70mm wouldn't be too big for a stock motor, and would support even more latter. But a phone call to HP or Hellion would clear it up even more.

94venomV8

Established Member
^^^4500 good god I would hate that! If all you are wanting is that much power I would go with something a little smaller but if you ever plan to step it up I would go with the 70mm. Also make sure you get a kit with a T4 housing on it so then if you ever want to step it up bigger its a simple change out instead of having to get new flanges and everything with the new turbo. I think you would like the 70mm, that is what I am putting on my car and I will be shooting for 700hp hopefully.

ratfinkron

Established Member
Thanks guys! I am not sure yet but I think 70mm is the direction I am heading in as eventually I will build the motor for some more boost but I may step down a size cause I dont want a ton of lag meanwhile.

whtcobra1998

Jet Powered
Established Member
What is your current 1/4 mile time with the forged engine and 16psi?

right now slow, converter is way to tight, no boost in first gear-almost the first 450ft. 12.5@128mph, 2nd gear full boost and pulls like crazy, still got alot left in 3rd but tracks over, and this is on 28" slicks. once I fix first gear boost issue, easy 10's on low boost

goat-ee

Established Member
right now slow, converter is way to tight, no boost in first gear-almost the first 450ft. 12.5@128mph, 2nd gear full boost and pulls like crazy, still got alot left in 3rd but tracks over, and this is on 28" slicks. once I fix first gear boost issue, easy 10's on low boost

Without a doubt a strong, strong mph and I agree that once you get everything figured out you'll see 10's pretty easy. However, I think your going about it the wrong way. Yes, you could get a 4500rpm stall which according to you is when you see full boost, but damn the thing will be about worthless as a street car. Why not size down to at least a 76mm and add a 2-step and keep the driveability of the car. I saw in another post that you wanted to go to a 3.08 gear, I really don't see the point of that at all, am I missing something on that?

whtcobra1998

Jet Powered
Established Member
Without a doubt a strong, strong mph and I agree that once you get everything figured out you'll see 10's pretty easy. However, I think your going about it the wrong way. Yes, you could get a 4500rpm stall which according to you is when you see full boost, but damn the thing will be about worthless as a street car. Why not size down to at least a 76mm and add a 2-step and keep the driveability of the car. I saw in another post that you wanted to go to a 3.08 gear, I really don't see the point of that at all, am I missing something on that?

Its really only a 70mm turbo but a jap turbo, its good for about 900rwhp. I wanted to go 3.08 with a 4r70w trans,
I am using 3.27 with a aode gearset, that has a 2.40.1 first gear. while the 4r has a 2.84 first. so once the converters right, the driveline just needs load. If i have the a/c on and street drive it gets into boost much faster since the engine is loaded more until the compressor turns off

Users who are viewing this thread