Turbo cobra on snow!!!!

TWEAKED03

Established Member
Ok I know everyone has a bad taste about meth/water kits but hear me out. Snow performance has alot of cool new items to elimnate any problems. They ahve a progressive stage 2 kit that you can have the meth come on a set boost levels. Now because in the past people who have problems with clogged tip or pump go bad then motor go boom!!!! Now they have a safety system that monitors the flow of the meth and if the pressure drops below thier requirements then the system has a turbo wastegate soloniod that bleeds off boost. They also have a low level light to let you know when the bottle is low. Everyone knows meth/water is like spraying 108/120 octane fuel into your motor so hear is my thought.

76mm turbo cobra with all the fuel requirements,boost controllers,etc everything to make power safe. After talking to turbo venom he got me thinking. He said usually he will drive around on 10/12 psi and if need turn up to 15psi. Well I'm thinking tune the car to 23/24 psi on 93 w/ meth kit but have the meth kiy come on at 17 psi and cut out at 25psi. So in reality I can drive around on 10/15 psi playing around but if I need 800rwhp is needed for these peeky supras,bikes,etc. boost controller goes 24psi with out rae gas,nitrous or stripping my car down..Just on the fly!!!!.. WHAT DO YOU THINK? BE HONEST?

TRBO VNM

I think its doable, but to what extreme? meaning, a lot of testing should be done in regards to how much boost with the meth and 93 octane. just remember, play it safe.

TWEAKED03

Established Member
I agree lots of testing. But in theory hellion cobra acorrding to sky high could handle 24psi on 91octane and 847rwhp. So it maybe be a possible. I talked to snow today and the tech said it would work like a charm.

TRBO VNM

TWEAKED03 said:
I agree lots of testing. But in theory hellion cobra acorrding to sky high could handle 24psi on 91octane and 847rwhp. So it maybe be a possible. I talked to snow today and the tech said it would work like a charm.

I think the article said is was a 91 and higher octane mix. not sure what though. I personally would go nitrous first since more people are using it.

TWEAKED03

Established Member
I know nitrous is a more common way but that requires race gas,new tune,bottle fill and alittle more prep before racing. I need on the spot power and don't want to way from the heater to get the bottle psi up. They have been using meth since WW2 to make power. Not for sure but I thinl I gonna do alot of research first.

smashedheadcat

Established Member
If you are running 24 psi you better run race gas if you want your engine to live. No matter what meth kit you are running, it would be in your best interest to run something better than pump.

HellionCobra

More to come!
Established Member
i would do meth before i did nitrous. i know of people running around with lots of boost and timing on pump gas with meth.

Nate

nimesis

TWEAKED03 said:
I know nitrous is a more common way but that requires race gas,new tune,bottle fill and alittle more prep before racing. I need on the spot power and don't want to way from the heater to get the bottle psi up. They have been using meth since WW2 to make power. Not for sure but I thinl I gonna do alot of research first.
The germans also used nitrous on fighter planes in WW2. Thats how we got it. Just thought Id drop some knowledge and a little smartass in.:coolman:

Kegger

Banned
I posted a similar question a while back about this subject. The Subaru and EVO guys have been doing this for some time now. Why can't we? Running a KB/Whipple/Turbo Cobra up to 23-24 psi on pump gas sounds cool. Not to mention the numbers it could lay down without having to have a separate tune to run racing fuel and the cost associated with it. And lets not forget having to swap out pullies on the SC Cobras to run the higher boost. With a good meth kit, you can leave that high boost pulley on their all the time!

The main reason you run racing fuel on higher boost is to eliminate detonation. And running a water/meth combo will do that and allow you to still run on regular pump gas. Personally, I'd like to see more people do this very thing.

Just my .02

airtroop01

Established Member
I've been running denatured alky with my turbo setup with 20+ psi of boost and pump gas on a daily basis (22.5 psi, 748 rwhp in 100 degree heat). Works really well. I've driven thousands of miles without issues. I just make sure when I stomp on the gas, I keep an eye on the dynojet wideband and make sure the a/f is looking good. Too much fire and brimstone fear being cast into people that running the alky kits is going to ruin your motor if something should fail. There are so many other single points of failure in our motors in general, the alky kits shoudn't be an issue if you get it from a reputable vendor.

smashedheadcat

Established Member
I'm here to tell ya, if you're running a little 4.6 and 800rwhp with pump gas, you are on borrowed time. You may get away with it for awhile, but one day your motor will let go.

airtroop01

Established Member
smashedheadcat said:
I'm here to tell ya, if you're running a little 4.6 and 800rwhp with pump gas, you are on borrowed time. You may get away with it for awhile, but one day your motor will let go.

I look to the Buick Grand National guys on that one.
v6 motors putting out a ton of hp and many of them running alky injection
to keep the octane up and detonation away. Many of them have a ton of experience with running it for a number of years.

Now unless there's something inherent to the 4.6/5.4 motor why it can't run alky, then I've yet to find that. I've been running it for about 2 yrs solid with boost levels over 20 psi and have clocked about 22k on the odometer (hitting max boost on a daily basis) on a JLP built shortblock. With the turbo, its been 8 mos of the 2 yrs. I agree with you that one day my motor may let go, but it won't be cause I ran alky... maybe that shot of nitrous off the line might do it!

If I had to do it again, I would go with the www.alkycontrol.com kit.
I started out with an SMC boost controlled kit, upgraded to a Snow maf controlled kit, and now upgrading that with some parts from alkycontrol. Don't run the crappy nylon hose that's prone to leak, keep an eye on the a/f wideband gauge and an ear out for detonation and you'll be just fine.

smashedheadcat

Established Member
I'm not saying you can't run alky, infact, I'm all about it. I'm just saying that 800rwhp and pump gas isn't a recipe for longetivity.

bb83

I like gays
Established Member
TWEAKED03 said:
Ok I know everyone has a bad taste about meth/water kits but hear me out. Snow performance has alot of cool new items to elimnate any problems. They ahve a progressive stage 2 kit that you can have the meth come on a set boost levels. Now because in the past people who have problems with clogged tip or pump go bad then motor go boom!!!! Now they have a safety system that monitors the flow of the meth and if the pressure drops below thier requirements then the system has a turbo wastegate soloniod that bleeds off boost. They also have a low level light to let you know when the bottle is low. Everyone knows meth/water is like spraying 108/120 octane fuel into your motor so hear is my thought.

76mm turbo cobra with all the fuel requirements,boost controllers,etc everything to make power safe. After talking to turbo venom he got me thinking. He said usually he will drive around on 10/12 psi and if need turn up to 15psi. Well I'm thinking tune the car to 23/24 psi on 93 w/ meth kit but have the meth kiy come on at 17 psi and cut out at 25psi. So in reality I can drive around on 10/15 psi playing around but if I need 800rwhp is needed for these peeky supras,bikes,etc. boost controller goes 24psi with out rae gas,nitrous or stripping my car down..Just on the fly!!!!.. WHAT DO YOU THINK? BE HONEST?

I have a Snow performance stage 3 kit just lying around until I go turbo. I'll sell it to you though if you are interested. It has everything you need along with the progressive controller and a few extra pumps...

Users who are viewing this thread