Turbo Camaro vs Ported Cobra

346CamaroSS

Established Member
Went out to Canada last night to a local car get together.

He was brake boosting, 40-145mph.

I wanted to race this guy for a while after he completed his home built rear mount turbo.. Mods on the 98 camaro:
-LQ4 6.0L stock long block
-76mm rear mount turbo, 13 psi
-Fuel mods
-T56

My car:
-Posi Port
-2.75 / 4 lbs lower
-bolt ons, etc etc

[youtube_browser]5-r4ydSMSFo[/youtube_browser]

from his car, fast fwd to 1:35
[youtube_browser]77-wsJFdj5s[/youtube_browser]

Last edited:

346CamaroSS

Established Member
Pullied/ bolt ons and tuned I believe

Sent from my smart phone because my boss told me to stop looking at the internet

asierra1

Established Member
Great runs. I cant wait to send my blower out to posi. what numbers/boost are you putting down with your pulley combo?

346CamaroSS

Established Member
No idea on my numbers or the camaro numbers, they weren't dyno tuned.

Im peaking at 16+ psi (all I can see on my overlay) and it might drop down to 15 or so.. I think I'm seeing a little belt slip.

Camaro is an easy 500+ rwhp car, the night we raced he was on 13 psi and running a mixed "e30" fuel.

You can see in the video he would have pulled me good in 5th gear.

4u 2 nv

I aint nobody
Established Member
No idea on my numbers or the camaro numbers, they weren't dyno tuned.

Im peaking at 16+ psi (all I can see on my overlay) and it might drop down to 15 or so.. I think I'm seeing a little belt slip.

Camaro is an easy 500+ rwhp car, the night we raced he was on 13 psi and running a mixed "e30" fuel.

You can see in the video he would have pulled me good in 5th gear.

an example would be a 5.3 bone stock down to throttle body with an on3 76mm..on 6pounds it made 450rwhp

geeteego

What???
Established Member
on that much boost and a 6speed setup...it should make atleast 550-600rwhp.

At 12psi with a 9:1 forged LQ9 and a PT76GTS, my rear mount GTO made 650-ish. The graph looked like a Supra's.

Rear mounts suck. Look at how much he loses between shifts. You pretty much need a 2-step and no-lift-to-shift to get them anywhere fast. The sad thing is roll racing is where they are supposed to shine.

Last edited:

346CamaroSS

Established Member
hes been doing a lot of tuning in his timing tables to try and cure the lag between shifts.... 4th gear he is is right there with me, 5th gear he would have walked me (i wont race in 5th).

I have no doubt that car puts down 525-550 rwhp

4u 2 nv

I aint nobody
Established Member
At 12psi with a 9:1 forged LQ9 and a PT76GTS, my rear mount GTO made 650-ish. The graph looked like a Supra's.

Rear mounts suck. Look at how much he loses between shifts. You pretty much need a 2-step and no-lift-to-shift to get them anywhere fast. The sad thing is roll racing is where they are supposed to shine.

yeah rear mounts are becoming somewhat a past item with vertical radiator setups in Fbodys and the like. I would say the average person with a 4.8/5.3 with a bone stock bottom end with a Zr1/Z06/LS2 cam and a 76ishmm setup usually shots for mid to upper 500rwhps on pump (sometimes pump/meth). More than a few have made mid 600s with ease and longevity.

Users who are viewing this thread