Turbo 01 Cobra: First Passes on TH-400

killspray

The Killstroyer
Established Member
Thanks to this site and ModularFords, I was able to do the Auto Swap in my apartment garage. For the people I was heavily IM'ing... thanks

Prior to last night, my last track visit was a 1/4 mile with my 6-speed and 2-step... Ran the following while granny shifting (since i was going to sell tranny):

P9090024_zpsf609d6ae.jpg

I did the auto swap, 26" to 28" tires and 3:55 to 3:27 gears, nothing else, and ran my car Friday night in the 1/8 mile using transbrake, no 2-step. These were my very first passes with an auto, ever, not to mention with a line lock and transbrake... was too nervous to mess with the 2-step. Overall, car ran great. Incredibly smooth, just not launching hard enough... need to build more boost off the line... there's much more in her. Ran in order from left to right:

null_zpsc33c3616.jpg

Run 1:
No clue what i was doing... wimpy burnout, pre-stage, creeped up to full stage, hit t-brake, rev'd to about 3K, slowly started building boost and light turned green so i just hit it. took off weak and still spun. Tires were at 12psi.

Run 2:
Another wimpy burnout, pre-stage, creeped to full stage, hit t-brake, hit gas pedal harder to about 3,200 to build a little more boost but light turned green before building it up high enough... took off about the same. Tires at 12psi. Can't remember the car i ran but he only beat me by .04sec... i was pulling him hard... would have blown his doors off in the 1/4.

Run 3:
Received some tips from friends... lowered tires to 10psi. Grabbed 2nd during burnout and held a little longer, pre-staged, held foot brake and started building some boost right then, creeped forward to full stage, hit t-brake, hit gas even harder built up a little more boost and launched her. I was running a trailered Fox body... full cage, removable steering wheel, fat cam, etc... he took me off the line but caught him at the end... I'll post the vid when I get a chance. On my friends phone...

i know i can build more boost but just need more practice... additionally, i have a 2-step to experiment with...

Question: when running a T-Brake, can I floor it at the line? or will that tear something up?

4VFTW

Established Member
transbrake...yeah foot to floor then release brake to go, but without a 2-step I believe your engine will rev to max stall speed. I never used without a 2-step so I would test it on the street and see where the revs go. also dont sit on the brake at max boost for more than a couple seconds its not good for the converter or tranny. once you get the timing figured out on how long it takes to build boost you can time it with the yellow bulbs.

Last edited:

killspray

The Killstroyer
Established Member
transbrake...yeah foot to floor then release brake to go, but without a 2-step I believe your engine will rev to max stall speed. I never used without a 2-step so I would test it on the street and see where the revs go. also dont sit on the brake at max boost for more than a couple seconds its not good for the converter or tranny. once you get the timing figured out on how long it takes to build boost you can time it with the yellow bulbs.

Awesome, thanks bud. Yeah, I wasn't even monitoring how much boost I was building on the line... Was basically just trying to go through the motions. Look forward to trying again. I'm hoping for a 6.6 or 6.5... Also, I had no idea what RPM I was shifting at lol. Bought a Raptor shift light, best be here soon so I can have it for the track this weekend.

Users who are viewing this thread