tuning w/ xcal2?

Badgts

Ferrari Slayer
Established Member
Are you able to custom tune your car by yourself with the xcal2? All I read about is people sending out for custom tunes by vendors/tuners. I thought you were able to adjust the timing and fuel on your own with the xcal2 (these are the user adjustible parameters listed in the advertisement anyway). Is this not the case, or does no one do this on their own? I am prepared to buy the unit soon and will be using a W/B and data logging to tune it myself (if possible). I just don't want to have to depend on others to tune the car. This is, after all, the whole point of buying the xcal2 in the first place...right? If this is not the case then I may use another tuning device that is truly user adjustible. Thanks for any input.

truebluecobra

Been there - Done that...
Established Member
You need a good base line tune then you can "tweek" it but unless you have the ability to monitor A/F go slow and use dyno to verify results. If you are confidant in your tuning abilities you can buy the racer package from SCT and do pretty much anything the tuning shops can do.

Badgts

Ferrari Slayer
Established Member
I am planning on monitoring the A/F and will take the tune one step at a time to be safe. I just want to be able to tune on my own. I expect it to take a few iterations to get it right each time I make a modification that requires a retune. I just don't want to have to pay $50 a tune for each adjustment or even if its free, I'd rather not have to wait for the tuner to get around to it each time.
What are the tuning limitations of the xcal2? I am reading that the Extreme Tune software allows you to tweak your saved tunes, but what are its limitations? What can the racer package do that the Extreme Tune cannot? And what is the price difference for the racer package? I'd like to know what I'm getting for the extra $. Thanks a for the reply and any additional info you can provide.

truebluecobra

Been there - Done that...
Established Member
Sounds like you are looking for the racer package since you want to do "all" of your tuning,it will do a complete tune instead of just minor adjustments to an existing tune like the x-cal2 does although the racer pac is about twice as expensive if you like to do it yourself its the way to go.Any SCT dealer should be able to set you up.

Users who are viewing this thread