Tuning/throttle body issues

V8Flexin

Established Member
I'm having issues with a mail order tune I just received from a well known reputable tuner. My current setup on my 07 GT500 is a 123 jlt intake, off road x pipe, fresh NGK TR6 plugs gapped at .028" (required according to tuner), and FRPP mono blade throttle body. I originally got a free custom tune from Bama that caused my car to stall soon as I touched the accelerator pedal with stock throttle body. I end up clearing the custom Bama tune and just loading the basic SCT tune for the intake and exhaust. Everything worked perfectly fine. Now I order a new tune from a reputable tuner that includes the mono blade and as soon as I start the vehicle it starts immediately hard miss firing like I had the coils installed in the wrong cylinders. I rechecked the spark plugs, coils, and throttle body to make sure I didn't reassemble incorrectly. I tried both supplied tunes to no avail. I eventually reinstalled the stock throttle body and loaded the base SCT tune back in and it ran with no issues. The tuner did pre-warn me that there was a bad batch of FRPP mono blades that caused vehicles to go into fail-safe mode if they got stuck. But the misfire doesn't seem like a throttle body failure. Has anyone had this issue with the FRPP mono blades? Or could it just be a bad tune? I haven't had a chance to talk to the tuner yet as it was late in the day.

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
I'm having issues with a mail order tune I just received from a well known reputable tuner. My current setup on my 07 GT500 is a 123 jlt intake, off road x pipe, fresh NGK TR6 plugs gapped at .028" (required according to tuner), and FRPP mono blade throttle body. I originally got a free custom tune from Bama that caused my car to stall soon as I touched the accelerator pedal with stock throttle body. I end up clearing the custom Bama tune and just loading the basic SCT tune for the intake and exhaust. Everything worked perfectly fine. Now I order a new tune from a reputable tuner that includes the mono blade and as soon as I start the vehicle it starts immediately hard miss firing like I had the coils installed in the wrong cylinders. I rechecked the spark plugs, coils, and throttle body to make sure I didn't reassemble incorrectly. I tried both supplied tunes to no avail. I eventually reinstalled the stock throttle body and loaded the base SCT tune back in and it ran with no issues. The tuner did pre-warn me that there was a bad batch of FRPP mono blades that caused vehicles to go into fail-safe mode if they got stuck. But the misfire doesn't seem like a throttle body failure. Has anyone had this issue with the FRPP mono blades? Or could it just be a bad tune? I haven't had a chance to talk to the tuner yet as it was late in the day.

What you should try and do is load the FACTORY tune back into the car. Clear all the tunes off your SCT device and load the tune from your tuner. Then reflash from the FACTORY tune to the tuner supplied revision. Your SCT device will automatically download and store the factory tune in its entirety to the device, then load the new tune revisions accordingly.

Unless your tuner knows that you're loaded on the SCT base tune, my guess is they expect you to be on the factory tune.

2011 gtcs

GT500 poster
Established Member
Premium Member
The mono blade is not easy to tune, you can send it into accufabracing and they will inspect and rebuild it for free if need be, they rebuilt mine. You will have to datalog for your tuner so he can see what's going on. But I would do what Lexustech48 said as well.

96gt02

Established Member
Try getting a tune for all the other mods along with the stock TB and see if you still have issues, if you still have issues then its your reputable tuner, if you don't its the TB.

Catmonkey

I Void Warranties!
Established Member
Premium Member
My understanding the "bad batch" of TBs issue surfaces once the car gets up to operating temperature because the throttle blade sticks due to clearance issues once everything gets hot. If it went into fail safe while it was cold, that's probably not it.

96gt02

Established Member
^ Exactly, this has to be either install or tune error. A decent vacuum leak acts similar to a miss

Dbrd_5.0

Established Member
I’ve had bad experiences with mail order tunes...Never again! Take it to a good local shop or someone around well known for tuning and have them tune it & strap it on the rollers and let it eat!

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

V8Flexin

Established Member
I've been in contact with the tuner trying to resolve the issue. They state the the tune file they sent is a well known good file that has worked on several other gt500. I didn't think I needed to go the local tuner route as these cars are pretty old and I don't have anything wild done to my car. I'm sure most well known tuners have dailed in tunes for these basic mods by now. I'm going to retry the tune and load it fresh from stock tune. I first loaded it over the old sct tune. I get a video of it if it messes up this time.

Sent from my PURE XL using the svtperformance.com mobile app

96gt02

Established Member
This is starting to sound more and more like a Lund tune

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
Im tuned through Lund. I had my initial tune and a few tune revisions for additional parts Ive picked up over the years. Always flashed back to stock then loaded tune revisions. Never an issue.

96gt02

Established Member
Have you talked more to your tuner yet? There is basically only two possible causes for your issues since you can get it to go away by swapping parts and tunes. Its either a bad tune, or a bad install with some kind of leak etc. A defect Mono does not cause your issues... and if you really want to be sure get the same "reputable" tune for all your mods but for a stock TB and see what happens. Your issue is not very common and it certainly wouldn't be a good thing if you find multiple people with the same issues from your same tuner.

mdoan

Established Member
The mono blade is a pretty radical upgrade and probably isn’t the best choice unless you’ve upgraded your blower significantly.

My understanding is that mail order tuners don’t mess a whole lot with the ‘closed loop’ (ECU learning) programming that controls anything under WOT. ‘Open loop’ programming is simply a fixed fuel map specifically for WOT.

Problem is, closed loop is what is controlling your daily drive to work. Stop light idle, low rpm cruise, etc. This is a broad statement, but the TB/EGR are dynamic engineered components that may just not be easily duplicated aftermarket.

Speaking from experience, I recently upgraded to VMP Gen 2 (including larger injectors and boost-a-pumps), a 67mm VMP TB, and 148mm jlt cai (up from 127mm prior).

Car had power but couldn’t find an idle rpm and struggled a bit at stoplights. Also generally just peaky compared to prior setup w/ just pulley on stock blower + 127mm jlt CAI. I experimented with tunes returning to stock TB as well as for the smaller 127mm CAI (one at a time and both) and found the 148mm to be the primary culprit, but the car still didn’t idle right with the smaller 127mm combined with 67mm tb.

As of today I’m still happily running the blower (of course), but with the smaller 127mm CAI and stock tb. Still pulls hard and has stock driveability under WOT. Hope this helps.

V8Flexin

Established Member
I believe the mono blade to be the issue. As soon as I connect the throttle body and turn the ignition on without starting, it sets both P2104 and P2112 codes. The throttle body does actuate to fully open and closed positions with the accelerator pedal. Not sure if the throttle motor are drawing too many amps to operate and the pcm is not liking it or what. I was able to start the car with the stock throttle body connected (but the mono installed) on the new tune and it didn't set a code just had a very high idle. Reconnected the mono blade and it misfired and could not raise rpm off idle with the pedal. Is there a better actuator motor/gear set to rebuild the throttle body with?

Jam421

Jam421
Established Member
The tuner did pre-warn me that there was a bad batch of FRPP mono blades that caused vehicles to go into fail-safe mode if they got stuck.
Although some guys have had recent success with the FRPP Mono what Lund told me was exactly what you stated. He advise since 2012-14 FRPP Accufab monos have been extremely difficult to avpid "tip in"" of the big mono blade. I believed him after an additional two 25 yr Mustang Race shops could NOT tune my FRPP mono...even after 2 weeks at Accufab getting bench tested and deemed 100% operational...none of those 3 base tunes could even idle. . Accufab bench testing is a joke. And so too was FRPP's return/refund policy as they have heard this same song over & again....yet..no refund. To see if i was crazy....I had same results with a 2nd Summit Racing FRPP Mono as well which was returned for refund. Maybe you can data log with Ign On then the start up (or attempt) for your tuner to read? More than a fair share of FRPP mono threads....if that is in fact your issue.

Once Lund recommended the huge KB Mono/huge JLT 148...his KB initial base tune idled and low revved with ease. 5-6 Data Logs later it was WOT pulls. Now it idles dead steady at 850rpm, rolls out off idle around town as smooth as my old 67twin blade, no stumbles anywhere, linear....no surging at WOT, very improved raised longer, flatter power curve from 3000rpm to redline on a chassis dyno with an additional 34rwhp gain.
Also.....as suggested perhaps a telephone conversation with SCT Tech line can provide a check or update of your tuner.

V8Flexin

Established Member
I knew the mono blade was likely too much for my set up but I do have plans to eventually go to a 2.9 or 3.4 Whipple. I bought the mono blade about a year and a half ago for a $450 which I thought was a price too good to pass up. It has a build date of 4/22/15 so it should have been one of the good ones. I have a 2.6 pulley waiting to go on and trying to save up to get a 15% lower. But family/home stuff makes it hard to put money into my car like I want to. Now I feel like I have a $450 paper weight that could have afforded other mods had I known. I did swap the tps over from my stock TB trying to see if it would resolve the issue considering the frpp had a newer style tps on it. Also according to another forum post they said the mono's had metal internal motor gearing which increased the torque/friction required to operate the value causing the issue. Should I try to rebuild or swap the electronics over from stock TB?

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member

Users who are viewing this thread