Tuning shop in Oklahoma?

DropTopSnake

Serious Power Addiction!
Established Member
Living in Beijing, China right now for work...but will be moving back to Tulsa, Oklahoma early next year. Recently purchased a 2004 Cobra for some project work when I get home. Would like to find a reputable dyno tuner in the area...

Willing to drive to Texas if needed...but would definitely prefer less of a roadtrip if possible.

Thought I read about a tuning shop in Tulsa a while back...but I can't seem to find that thread anymore.

Appreciate advice anyone may have...

RAZRS EDGE

Stay Humble
Established Member
I live in Oklahoma and will never let anyone in Oklahoma dyno tune my car. I've seen what a few have done with these cars and it is scary. There have been a few cars I have done some datalogging on for people who have had thier car tuned here and it flat out scary some of the things I have seen.

I've gone to HPP Racing in Lewisville, TX (north Dallas) for the last 2 years and have nothing but the upmost respect for them. My car has ran perfect and they have some of the best rates around and know for a fact its cheaper than people here. They have become known as one of the best 03'04' Cobra tuners in the country. I have sent numerous friends with these cars from Oklahoma and other surrounding states and they can't be happier with the experience from them. I have one friend with a White 03' that is on his way down there right now as I type this. They tune the car right and safe. They have made some of the best numbers and have the BEST driveability. My car still drives like or better than stock. They will not let your car leave until they feel it is right and do not charge you by the hour on the dyno, unlike some people that try to keep you on the dyno for too long and charge by the hour.

Give them a call and ask for Manny. Tell him Graycen sent you. Tell him what you are looking for and he will put you on the schedule. It's only a 3 hour drive from the OKC area. The 4 hour drive for me has been worth it for the last couple years and I go there 3-4 times a year. PM me if you want any more info on them :thumbsup:

www.hppracing.com 972-395-9844

DO NOT GO TO ANYONE IN OKLAHOMA.

Last edited:

LTHL VNM

Don't call it a comeback
Established Member
HPP is closer to you and as Graycen said, they have a great reputation.
but also check out Strictly Performance down in Houston. Richard and his crew are great, i, along with many of my friends with cobras/machs/Lightnings have gone there on my recomendation after having their work done at other shops and now they won't go any where else

RAZRS EDGE

Stay Humble
Established Member
LTHL VNM said:
HPP is closer to you and as Graycen said, they have a great reputation.
but also check out Strictly Performance down in Houston. Richard and his crew are great, i, along with many of my friends with cobras/machs/Lightnings have gone there on my recomendation after having their work done at other shops and now they won't go any where else
Word

HPP & Strictly are the best in TX!

DropTopSnake

Serious Power Addiction!
Established Member
Thanks for the info...sounds like HPP is my best option for "tried and true" service and experience with Terminators.

So no one knows of a shop in Tulsa called ArchAngel or something like that? I know I read a thread on here one day where there were some people arguing over whether this shop was reliable or not...some had good experience, some had bad experience.

Final question...maybe geared more towards when I should get the tune. Basically, my cobra is stock right now except for CAI (fender well). When I'm home in December, we will be installing new mid pipe and catback, MGW orange shifter, possibly 4.10 gears, and a new pulley setup to squeeze a bit more boost out of the eaton. However, I will for sure be installing a new Whipple (hopefully 3.3, but 2.3L at the least), supporting mods for cooling and fuel needs, etc and doing some work on the IRS to get rid of that nasty wheel hop as much as possible....plan to have this all done by end of April when I return home.

So is it worth trying to get the dyno tune in December after the "minimum" mods I will be doing? (considering the car will only get about 250 miles or so put on it at the very max until I get home permanently in March 07) Also thinking that maybe using an emailed tune with the SCT xcal2 may be adequate for these mods...

Of course, I know I will need some serious dyno time and tuning after the Whipple upgrade...just don't know if it worth the extra $600 or so in the interim. Advice / recommendations from you guys with these type of heavy mods is appreciated...since you have already walked the path.

Thanks again

Last edited:

01cobra2020

Established Member
I live in Tulsa (Jenks now, actually) and have to give another vote for HPP. Been there 3 times in the past year to get various work done.

Having blown the stock motor on my 01 w/ a horrible tune from a shop in OKC (which I'm not going to name for various reasons), I'd say it's worth the drive for a high quality shop/tuner. It only takes 3.5-4 hours max.

RAZRS EDGE

Stay Humble
Established Member
DropTopSnake said:
Thanks for the info...sounds like HPP is my best option for "tried and true" service and experience with Terminators.

So no one knows of a shop in Tulsa called ArchAngel or something like that? I know I read a thread on here one day where there were some people arguing over whether this shop was reliable or not...some had good experience, some had bad experience.

Final question...maybe geared more towards when I should get the tune. Basically, my cobra is stock right now except for CAI (fender well). When I'm home in December, we will be installing new mid pipe and catback, MGW orange shifter, possibly 4.10 gears, and a new pulley setup to squeeze a bit more boost out of the eaton. However, I will for sure be installing a new Whipple (hopefully 3.3, but 2.3L at the least), supporting mods for cooling and fuel needs, etc and doing some work on the IRS to get rid of that nasty wheel hop as much as possible....plan to have this all done by end of April when I return home.

So is it worth trying to get the dyno tune in December after the "minimum" mods I will be doing? (considering the car will only get about 250 miles or so put on it at the very max until I get home permanently in March 07) Also thinking that maybe using an emailed tune with the SCT xcal2 may be adequate for these mods...

Of course, I know I will need some serious dyno time and tuning after the Whipple upgrade...just don't know if it worth the extra $600 or so in the interim. Advice / recommendations from you guys with these type of heavy mods is appreciated...since you have already walked the path.

Thanks again

If you are going to pulley the car, then YES you will need a dyno tune. Period. And the great thing about HPP is, you only pay the $550 one time(which includes a programmer). If you already have a programmer, it's around $300. This is for UNLIMITED dyno time. And say once you install the Whipple later down the road, it will only cost you $50 for a re-tune! I know I probably sound like a damn spokes-man for HPP, but I just want others to get the same experience and professionalism I have got from them over years. Not to mention the tuning knowledge they have with these cars.

And yes, I know who ArchAngel is. I don't like to internet bash people, but lets just say thier are many reasons why I did not reccommend them. GO OUT OF STATE.

Also, if you need some help installing all of those mods I'll be glad to lend a hand. I'm only 40min west in Stillwater. Just shoot me a PM.

twinturbo said:
Go to Deadhorse, which is the local OK Mustang board-Ask for recommendations there.

www.okdhm.com
I wouldn't waste your time on that site for anything other than people with nothing better to do but start drama. There are a few good people, but hardly a place to ask advice.

Last edited:

DropTopSnake

Serious Power Addiction!
Established Member
Much appreciated to all, especially Razrs Edge. HPP will definitely get some business from me in the near future. If I really can get the sct xcal2 and a tune for around $550...I just might try to go ahead and get down there during last week of December (if they are open and have room on the schedule for me).

And yes Razrs Edge...I just might take you up on the offer for some help. Only problem is my buddy's place is where we do our work...Yukon, Oklahoma. He has a nice 3 car garage, hydraulic lift and about $30,000 inventory of SnapOn tools. (used to be a mechanic at Dodge) Nicer than most professional shops actually...

You're in Stillwater...so I assume you're a Poke fan? Don't hold it against me, but I am an OU grad. However, my wife is OSU alum. So we have plenty of orange and red around the house...

Thanks again,

RAZRS EDGE

Stay Humble
Established Member
DropTopSnake said:
Much appreciated to all, especially Razrs Edge. HPP will definitely get some business from me in the near future. If I really can get the sct xcal2 and a tune for around $550...I just might try to go ahead and get down there during last week of December (if they are open and have room on the schedule for me).

And yes Razrs Edge...I just might take you up on the offer for some help. Only problem is my buddy's place is where we do our work...Yukon, Oklahoma. He has a nice 3 car garage, hydraulic lift and about $30,000 inventory of SnapOn tools. (used to be a mechanic at Dodge) Nicer than most professional shops actually...

You're in Stillwater...so I assume you're a Poke fan? Don't hold it against me, but I am an OU grad. However, my wife is OSU alum. So we have plenty of orange and red around the house...

Thanks again,

No problem. Yukon isn't far from here and I enjoy getting away from school and work to work on cars. I've done just about it all, lol. I mainly just want to see your friends garage! haha And don't worry, I'm not going to hold it against you for being an OU alum. I grew up a sooner fan so it's not big deal. The $550 is a correct price. Call Manny up and talk with him and he will put you on the schedule(they need a couple weeks in advance due to the volume of cars they get in and out of there). Tell him Graycen sent you.

Last edited:

98Snake03

I8URVET
Established Member
I will chime in.

Don't go to OK!!!

Unless you want a ported blower car making less than 500 rwhp.

My tuner wouldn't even run recommended timing in my car.

SlowImport

Established Member
What Graycen said! Go to Texas. He gave me a ride in his car then he drove mine and his makes more power yet drives like it rolled off the showroom floor yesterday. Where as mine drives....well I dont want to think about it. LOL

Graycen knows his stuff and will go out of his way to help you in anyway possible. Im just glad I met up with Graycen before I did anything major to my car.

If you are just wanting little things done like exhuast, gears, cold air, etc. and dont feel comfortable doing it yourself then I would check out B&R Performance. They are reasonable on price and Billy and Ryan are good guys to deal with. I am not sure if they build their motors or source it out. But I have had a few friends with Cobras and Saleen's and they both ran like raped apes after B&R worked on them!

I used to live with Billy Hayes(ownder of B&R) and know that he loves to go fast and knows how! B&R is good and they have some of the fastest mustangs in Oklahoma. If I was going to take it anywhere in Oklahoma I would go to B&R.

As far as SWTuning goes. I dont know them at all. So to say they are good or bad would be wrong of me. Simply b/c I dont know if they are good or bad. I have a friend that keeps trying to get me to go up there and let him work on my car. But think I am going to go the Graycen route. No hard feelings towards SWTuning. I just want to go to a shop that I have I seen their work first hand.

But IMHO if you dont mind working on your car and taking a little longer then a shop does, thats the best way. For little things that is. Now engine rebuilds are a little different. That way you learn more about your car and if something goes wrong your not clueless as to what is going on.

When you get back give Graycen and I a call. I am from Norman, he is in Stillwater, and you are in Tulsa. So we can always meet in the middle at Graycen's if he doesnt mind. Plus they have a Buffalo Wild Wings near his house that has some good wings!

Holla,
Josh

forcefedcobra

Established Member
DropTopSnake said:
Living in Beijing, China right now for work...but will be moving back to Tulsa, Oklahoma early next year. Recently purchased a 2004 Cobra for some project work when I get home. Would like to find a reputable dyno tuner in the area...

Willing to drive to Texas if needed...but would definitely prefer less of a roadtrip if possible.

Thought I read about a tuning shop in Tulsa a while back...but I can't seem to find that thread anymore.

Appreciate advice anyone may have...

I am setting up a dyno day with Rick from Amazon early this spring. It will be a flat rate all day until it is done thing. Might even get some track rental time and just make a weekend out of it.

PM me if interested. I will update you on prices and details as often as possible.

forcefedcobra

Established Member
Oh and I am down to help. Graycen helped with my car and now that I have done some things that I had never ventured into, I am getting good at busting knuckles. LOL!

DropTopSnake

Serious Power Addiction!
Established Member
Thanks for all of the help guys...much more response than I expected. As far as needing help...I will probably take all I can get. I have owned a 94GT, 98GT, 01 Lightning and 01 S-281 s/c saleen...but only did minor work on them myself (CAI, exhaust, brakes, stereo). However, my buddy Eric (who is in Yukon) is a very experienced mechanic. But when we decide to do the twin screw upgrade, cams, etc in April or May or 07...I will definitely welcome the hands and eyes of you guys (Graycen, Josh) with the first hand knowledge.

Seriously can't wait to get out of China and back to the red, white and blue and get my hands greasy!

Dustin

forcefedcobra

Established Member
Dustin I am in Tulsa every other day (railroad). If you ever need anything drop me a PM or I can get you my number. If I am not working I will be more than happy to help. Graycen is top notch at this stuff too. He has done it all and is very helpfull.

Best of luck and have a safe trip coming home!

Brandon

Marc

Established Member
What about Powerhouse Performance in Midwest City, OK? I heard they were pretty good. They tuned my car many years ago and got nothing but good stuff out of them.

Users who are viewing this thread