Tuning Help! E85, ID1300X2, Return Conv.

The_03Cobra

Hey, Guys!

So, I've been battling an issue in my tune ever since I converted to E85 and a return style system... I am a very inexperienced tuner but I am doing my best to learn how to do it. LaSota's Ford EFI (Advantage III) book has been my bible for the last month or so and I am still struggling to get the car into driving shape.

During the conversion, I replaced the entire fuel system;
  • Fore Twin pump hat (Walboro 275's)
  • Fore PTFE fuel lines, reg and fuel rails
  • ID1300X2 Injectors
And now I am having an issue where the car is in a fixed closed-loop mode and the STFT's climb from 0.90 to 1.25 in unison and then transitions into open-loop in which the car then dies. During the closed-loop mode, the idle hunts and immediately after transition to open-loop, the car begins to hunt but will try to die.

In the Advantage III software, and according to what I have read in Lasota's EFI book, I have made the following adjustments;
  • Stoich = 9.7
  • Fuel Injector Scalar (based on Injector Dynamics Value spreadsheet)
    • Breakpoint
    • High Slope
    • Low Slope
    • Min. Pulse Width
    • Pressure Drop
  • Fuel Inj. Breakpoint, High/Low Slope & Offset Mult. = 1
  • Returnless Fuel Pump
    • Fuel Pump Gain Deriv/integral/prop = 0
    • Fuel Pump Voltage table = 15
Again, I'm new to the tuning scene and I'm trying to figure this out without opting to a mail/dyno tune and not learn anything from it. I appreciate any help/advice you can give!

03cobra#2

Hobbyist Of Many Hobbies
Established Member
Hello,
Did lasota give you a base tune to work off of base on your mods / setup?

Also do you have a wideband 02 installed?

03cobra#2

Hobbyist Of Many Hobbies
Established Member
Just the standard Base Value from SCT. And yes, I am datalogging a wideband.
Great. So after you go through the book a couple times and get everything set up you will want to follow his instructions for open loop dial in.

Set the ecu to force open loop at all times. Change your base fuel Table to all 1.0 lambda, and turn off your adaptive fueling. Then start with start up and idle. Get the vehicle to start and get idle as close to 1.0 lambda as possible.

Last edited:

03cobra#2

Hobbyist Of Many Hobbies
Established Member
Idle is a tricky game. You need to log iac duty cycle, idle integrator, spark, spark source, A/F, and engine speed to get you started. You'll need to do research but in a nutshell, iac duty cycle needs to be .25-35, idle integrator needs to be a close to 0 as possible, af as close to 1.0 lambda as possible, spark source should be 9, and if your idle is still hunting / surging try lowering spark. Idle spark for me was best around 5-10. I had it at 15 and my idle sucked lol.

cj428mach

Established Member
Your O2s aren't switched bank to bank are they? That is one of the first signs is your fuel trims splitting like that.

Users who are viewing this thread