Tuning Debacle....I need your input!

TRMN8RX

Terminatin'
Established Member
Ok guys, I'm looking for some feedback, suggestions, comments, or whatever else anyone can throw my way. I've done as much research as I can and now it just comes down to everyone else's experience to point me in the right direction.

To start with, I have an 03 Cobra with a 3.3L Lysholm twin screw package. The car is currently running a 4.25" pulley and I have a 4" pulley to swap in it's place. The car also has Kooks long tubes, off road X, cat back, 60lb injectors, SCT Big Air MAF, twin Ford GT pumps and dual FPDM swap.

The motor was gone through about 4k miles ago. Weisco 9:1 forged pistons, new Manley H-beam rods, new Eagle crank (all forged). Basically a factory bottom end equivalent with upgraded pistons. Factory heads with a port/polish job.

Now, to the tuning issue. I purchased the car from a dealership in Nashville, TN who took the car in on trade and the previous owner apparently did the blower swap without any fuel system upgrades, ran the s&^% out of the car, and burnt holes in the #3 and #6 pistons (so I'm told). The car went to Carma Performance in Nashville who pulled the motor and sent the rotating assembly to RPM performance, and then reinstalled everything. I had the heads swapped last summer and everything in the bottom end was checked by the local SVT tech at the Ford dealership and everything checked out ok.

Carma purchased a handheld SCT tuner and one mail order tune from Amazon Tuning in SC. The car runs a little on the rich side (it's safe) and I have no drivability issues with the AC off. With the AC on and high temps like right now, the car feels like it's loading up and will start to surge after about 15-20 minutes on the highway with the cruise set in 6th gear. I can downshift to 5th and "clear it out" and it runs fine for another 15-20 minutes and does it again.

I know some short cuts were taken and decisions made by the dealership I purchased the car from because they didn't want to sink a bunch of money into a car they were preparing to unload; therefore, the car was never data logged and there were no further tuning changes made.

Since I have had the car, I've had the opportunity to talk with several tuners and others who have work done by many different places. I would love to take the car to Amazon to have more work done; however, I don't have the time off available to drive 12+ hours and leave my DD somewhere until it's finished.

I spoke with a tuning shop in Indianapolis, IN several weeks ago called Blue Oval Chips. There were several well built and very impressive cars in the shop and the tuner seemed to be well educated with what's going on. He's a certified SCT tuner and has a phenomenal setup shared with Cozzolino Motorsports in the shop next door. Has anyone else had any involvement with this shop or experience any of his work?

Bob Kurgan will be coming to Indianapolis in early September and I have the opportunity to drop a deposit to reserve dyno/tune time with Bob. I have heard ZERO complaints about his work and he's tuned a buddy of mine's Pro-Charged 03 Mach 1. Ryan is very happy with his work. I have read several posts on here as well with other positive feedback about Bob's work.

Given the situation, I'm looking for suggestions as far as best bang for the buck and best experience. I have no doubt that all three tuners are fantastic at what they do but pricing varies as well as distance and time spent getting to and from, as well as down time.

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE post your suggestions and experiences below. As of right now, I'm planning to use Kurgan because I haven't heard a single negative response to his work. I haven't heard anything about Blue Oval Chips until a few weeks ago and I've heard mixed reviews about Amazon. I don't want this to turn into a flame session or slamming anyone about personal business. I'm simply looking for suggestions and who's had the best experiences as well.

*If anyone has had a catastrophic experience somewhere, please PM me if you want to share.

Thanks in advance for everyone's help!

Last edited:

topless10th

Established Member
bob kurgan is the absolute shit! the dude is a badass, if you have the opportunity to let him do it, take advantage. it will be right.

Don 95Vert

Established Member
Get an SCT Pro Racer Package and tune it yourself is the best answer. It is NOT brain surgery and you'll gain the knowledge for the rest of your life. 03/04 Cobra's are among the easiest vehicles to tune. Plus, you can spend much more time fiddling with it as compared to the 2-4 hours a dynotune would take. But to answer your question, Lonnie at BOC and Bob are both really good at what they do.

Tabres

Not without incident
Established Member
I know nothing about the gentleman at BOC but what I can tell you is that you will be incredibly pleased with Bob Kurgan if you give him the opportunity to tune your car. He tuned mine and the driveability and street manners are better than stock. I would go to Bob if it were me.

woodrow5.0

Established Member
X2 for kurgan,he is the man and probably at the top of the tuning list in my opinion for these cars.

TRMN8RX

Terminatin'
Established Member
Thanks for everyone's input on here as well as the PM's that have been sent. Everyone's input is appreciated. I'll post up which route I go and the results.

BO TY KLR

Established Member
I had similar driving issues after doing the crusher maf setup. I would get the sct pro racer software. If your set on kurgan , get program through him and have him send you a base tune until he gets to town for the dyno. I purchased software through lasota racing and also his manual, and its very informative. Definatly get a program you can tweak on as drivability issues arise, or when you make changes. Especially when closest tuners are hours away.

Last edited:

Witt

Established Member
I agree with buying PRP and a lasota racing manual. Even after I've been tuning GMs for years, his manual was well worth the money when tuning Fords. The convenience of being able to make changes when you want them is invaluable.

Users who are viewing this thread