Tuners turning away business?

murph

Boosted 3.8L
Established Member
I have been building my car for about the past 6 years and its been running great for about 3 years with the exception of tuning related problems. I have been through 3 tuners in Indianapolis, IN..

CAR: 2000 built 3.8l stang, mild-port heads, cammed, HPX 05 MAF, 60lb injectors, dual FPDM with dual GT pumps, single turbo setup, BOV and wastegate venting to atmoshpere.

1st Tuner: seemed to be only making changes to a diablosport handheld only (with me being new at tuning and the fact they had the car for a week i figured the were working on it) they obvisouly were screwing me over.

2nd Tuner: started asking me questions that I thought he should have known and I just had a feeling that he may blow the car up. it was my only car at the time so i pulled the car.

3rd Tuner: was a reputable tuner in the area that has tuned many high HP vehicles. the car blew up on the dyno with him calling me that morning saying that there was a problem but they were working on figuring out what it was. my friend was there and said they ran a WOT pull anyway (i was at a wedding), car sat without them touching it for a month before friends and I showed up with a trailer to check out the motor.

I purchased SCT's PRP kit and was tuning the car with friends which seemed to run good when i was on a single 310 focus pump, but now it seems i am having issues after i upgraded to a dual GT pump setup. I have changed the values in the pump settings to match the new pumps.

I have been turned down by tuners in indiana as the owners say they cant have thier techs devoting time to a project like this, and they would rather bolt on Cobra's and GT's?!? even though the car has been running great over the years and i believe it mechanically sound i just need some tuning help! its crazy to tell them im willing to pay what it takes to get this going and they turn away? are there any folks that have been through this with modified vehicles? I know my car isnt that out of control in terms of what i am running. I would think that it would be a snap to tune if they know what they are doing.... where can i go lol?

Last edited:

cinch1985

Established Member
If you dont mind the drive there is a guy right out side of Louisville. His name is lee Blankenship. Really nice guy and knows his shit.

Max97COBRAtkd

Established Member
hit the guys up at modular depot, great guys, definitely worth the drive. They tuned both my twin turbo 4r70w cobra and my d1sc procharged cobra and did a great job. Check them out...

their # is 877-234-5551 I believe.

mymustang44

Cammed What??
Established Member
Try speedydyno in owensboro. Tuned my cammed and stroked 4.3 v6 stang and another guys eaton swapped 4.2 v6 stang.

GodStang

Established Member
You will realize 99% of tuners have a bunch of canned tunes and want to be able to plug the same tune in 100 cars. When you bring them something different they can not do this so they have no idea what to do. So instead of admitting they can not tune it they just say they have no time.

AmazonTuning

SVT God
Established Member
I have been building my car for about the past 6 years and its been running great for about 3 years with the exception of tuning related problems. I have been through 3 tuners in Indianapolis, IN..

CAR: 2000 built 3.8l stang, mild-port heads, cammed, HPX 05 MAF, 60lb injectors, dual FPDM with dual GT pumps, single turbo setup, BOV and wastegate venting to atmoshpere.

1st Tuner: seemed to be only making changes to a diablosport handheld only (with me being new at tuning and the fact they had the car for a week i figured the were working on it) they obvisouly were screwing me over.

2nd Tuner: started asking me questions that I thought he should have known and I just had a feeling that he may blow the car up. it was my only car at the time so i pulled the car.

3rd Tuner: was a reputable tuner in the area that has tuned many high HP vehicles. the car blew up on the dyno with him calling me that morning saying that there was a problem but they were working on figuring out what it was. my friend was there and said they ran a WOT pull anyway (i was at a wedding), car sat without them touching it for a month before friends and I showed up with a trailer to check out the motor.

I purchased SCT's PRP kit and was tuning the car with friends which seemed to run good when i was on a single 310 focus pump, but now it seems i am having issues after i upgraded to a dual GT pump setup. I have changed the values in the pump settings to match the new pumps.

I have been turned down by tuners in indiana as the owners say they cant have thier techs devoting time to a project like this, and they would rather bolt on Cobra's and GT's?!? even though the car has been running great over the years and i believe it mechanically sound i just need some tuning help! its crazy to tell them im willing to pay what it takes to get this going and they turn away? are there any folks that have been through this with modified vehicles? I know my car isnt that out of control in terms of what i am running. I would think that it would be a snap to tune if they know what they are doing.... where can i go lol?

You looking strickly for a dyno tune? Remote tuning is a viable option. If you want more details ..Just ask me. I will be happy to explain the process to you.

WE might coming to IN in the spring for a tuning event. So any remote tuning we do for you now can be fine tuned there when we come up.

01yellercobra

Established Member
It could also be they're afraid of possible head aches. They didn't build the car. They don't know everything that's gone into the set up. Sometimes it's easier to say no then to end up with a pissed off customer that will end up talking bad about them. I've had a couple side jobs I wished I had said no to.

mysteed

Established Member
Try speedydyno in owensboro. Tuned my cammed and stroked 4.3 v6 stang and another guys eaton swapped 4.2 v6 stang.
+1 They did a great job with Derrick's car when he had the M112 on it. If you are looking for a remote tune, VMP Tuning is another great option. :beer:

murph

Boosted 3.8L
Established Member
thanks guys,

I am almost at wits end, i really appreciate the help with shops you have been to in the area. I will def check out these shops. hopefully another post with a successfull story :beer:

CPRsm

It could also be they're afraid of possible head aches. They didn't build the car. They don't know everything that's gone into the set up. Sometimes it's easier to say no then to end up with a pissed off customer that will end up talking bad about them. I've had a couple side jobs I wished I had said no to.
DING DING. Often a customer is "willing to pay" up until they think the shop "should have figured it out by now." Nothing against you Murph, but they have probably been down that road before they know they will eat time trying to make you happy in the end. And know they will only get say, 45/hr instead of their normal rate. Good luck though man, hope you find someone or figure it out yourself.

Users who are viewing this thread