Tuners In the Area?

Fastback

Baker
Established Member
Premium Member
Hey, I was wondering which tuner did all you northwest guys use? like who tuned your car? I am considering about going to Blood Enterprises in Auburn. They have done some work on my 70 in the past and I was going to see if they will custom tune my Cobra when I get the mods Installed. A friend of my old man had his 650hp Saleen tuned there and that is the only place he will take it to. What do you northwest guys say?

Oxford Snake

Established Member
I do my own tuning with the support of RWTD via the SCT Pro Racer Package. I have learned alot and love the fact that I have absolute control of all aspects of my tune. I highly recommend the PRP. It's $300 for the software and you get ulimited tuning support. Or for $125, RWTD will create a tune and provide 1 year of support/updates.

Fastback

Baker
Established Member
Premium Member
I live at Lake Joy, Which is up the hill between Carnation and Duvall. Thats what I knida had in mind, get a tuner with a tune loaded up in it and sent, but if blood could do the tuning at their shop it would be closer and it is a tune for my car, not a tune that someone came up with by looking at what other cars do with the mods I have. Am I understanding the tuning concept? I've never tuned a fuel injected car, so I was talking to ATS Amazon Tuning Solutions and they said for $300 or so they would send me a SCT tuner with a tune for my mods, and if their was any thing else that I change on my car that need a new tune it would be free for me to have them send me a updated tune. If I take it to blood they would install the mods and then Install the tune via the SCT tuner from ATS and then test the tune on the dyno checking the A/F right? If I take it to blood and have them custom tune the car do they just make a program and upload it in to the car? and I would not need a hand held tuner like a SCT? or am I just going to have to purchase the tuner no matter what. IDK this seems so complicated, how does the tuning process differ between taking it to a shop that has a dyno and will custom tune the car versus a tune sent to me with a SCT? Thaks for reading...god my hands are tired.

Last edited:

04MystiCobra

Tuning L&M heart
Established Member
No matter what you'll need to verify your a/f ratio. Whether you use a shop w/ a dyno or a wideband. IMO, its better to get the hand held tuner from a shop that does tuning for 03/04 Cobras. Most offer free tunes with the purchase. If you're not happy with how the car acts on the road (vs on the dyno) you can request another tune for free.
If you go to a shop you may not have the same luck. I bought the Predator as well as a wideband O2 sensor so I can verify my tune. If something off, I data log it using both my wideband and my Predator for max data and send it to my tuner. That way he can see everything thats going on and make a new tune. I only go to the dyno for hp/tq #s.
Another thing about the mail order Cobra tuners. They've been dealing with our cars a loooooong time and know all the secrets and fixes. I doubt Blood has tuned 100s of 03/04 Cobras. RWTD, Mile HI, HBH, JDM, etc, etc have.
What are your goals for the car?
btw - SCT gets the nod these days.

Last edited:

Fastback

Baker
Established Member
Premium Member
Alright, so who tunes your car? well my goals are to get 460hp and 470tq with the 2.76 and 4 piece idlers. I also have BF IRS Brace, LFP heat exchanger, LFP Intercooler resevior, MAC 2.5 SS Catback, K&N FIPK. I'm going to run this set up for a while, until I can save up for a whipple, BAP, Injectors, and Maf. I just want a fast car to drive on nice days, no real race car just something to mess around in.

Oxford Snake

Established Member
+1 for the wideband (I have an LM-1 for sale if you are interested). It is a must for dialing in the tune.

SCT has a much better product. I use an XCal2 connected to an LM-1 and then use my laptop running LiveLink to datalog. I usually log about 15 parameters (a/f,spark,maf,load, etc..) and make a 3rd gear pull on 203.

Go with one of the proven tuners as Greg pointed out. They have tuned 1000's of 03-04 Cobras and Fords unlike a local joint with a dyno.

You should see 460hp/475tq with the mods you listed.

Dave

Fastback

Baker
Established Member
Premium Member
Ok, I'll go with a tuner out of state. Who do you use Oxford Snake? so I would purchase a Xcal2 with a custom tune from one of the reputable shops. So I would buy the Xcal2 with a tune, it would be sent to me, then I would take the tuner and custom tune to the dyno to read the A/F and things like that, and if it isnt where it needs to be I e-mail my findings to the shop and they will send another tune. Is this right?

Tylerb59

Established Member
Right.

To clarify, you download the tunes from a message forum just like this one.

You're working directly with your tuner to dial it in. You're also able to make your own small adjustments with the tuner itself to get you by.

Having a laptop, XCAL2, and a wideband are the three tools you'll need to make this work smoothly.

04MystiCobra

Tuning L&M heart
Established Member
Any of the ones listed in my first post are the good ones. I'm currently using Mile HI since Scott has tuned allot of N2O Cobras. I've used RWTD as well with good results. I'd go with just about any of the big ones these days.

RickSvt

Its Fast
Established Member
Currently Marc is testing out a tuner over in Bremerton. So far it looks like they are doing good with his car.

Rick

Fastback

Baker
Established Member
Premium Member
I think I'm going to go with RWTD. After reading up on the tuning forums there, I am starting to understand the concept of the computer tuning. So I will purchase my Xcal2 from them and get a year of free tunes, I give them my info of mods, climate, elevation, brand of gas and octane, and any other special requests like disable traction control or O2 sensors off. They will then send me a tune with the Xcal2, I'll have the mods Installed and then the car put on the rollers with the updated tune. While on the dyno I should Datalog with the Xcal2 and use the dyno wideband A/F meter and log them onto a laptop with the livelink software. If there needs to be any changes in the tune I send the loged info to them and they will correct it. Good got that part. You dont always need a wideband in the car, but if you feel something is wrong with the tune you cannot datalog A/F uless you go to the dyno. When you have the wideband Installed in the car you can datalog all the info you want with out calling the shop and setting up the dyno time. whew I think I have got it.......right?

Oh Oxford Snake, for your LM-1 where would install the sensor in the exhaust? also can the readings from the sensor be displayed on a gauge in the car instead of the hand held device? like on a gauge pod? and finally why are you getting rid of the LM-1? don't you use it to tune your car.

Oxford Snake

Established Member
Mike,

Any wideband will require a bung to be welded in the mid-pipe. It should be installed near the header connection between the 9 o'clock and 3 o'clock position to avoid condensation from damaging the sensor. Innovate Motorsports has a fancy digital gauge that works with their LM-1 http://www.innovatemotorsports.com/products/xd16.php.

I feel the LM-1 is a great product and is perfect if you need to use it in more than 1 vehicle. I have purchased a Dynojet Wideband Commander so I no longer need the LM-1. I wanted something smaller and permanent. The LM-1 must be turned on manually (unless you hardwire it) and it's rather large.

Dave

ACD

Teh Ish
Established Member
I would say if your in Washington near vancouver then take it to All Ford Performance or if your in Oregon take it to Krazy Koncepts Performance. I have also heard of good things from Brads Custom's.

Users who are viewing this thread