Tuned on 91 octane. Can find 94 octane E10, good or bad?

86caprirs

Established Member
I see that my car is tuned on 91 octane. I can run 94 octane but it is a 10% ethenol mix. I was told to stay away from that and try and find 94 non ethenol mixed fuel. Why is ethenol not good to run in the cars?

b_dike

Established Member
There's nothing wrong with 10% ethanol. Your car will run fine with it, unless it's tuned for a specific fuel mixture. I know in my area almost all the stations here use a 10% ethanol blend.

Shadowfax

Established Member
OP... I see your from Canada. You can't stay away from an ethanol mix in Canada. The Federal Government has mandated at least 5% ethanol in fuel since December 2010.

MoKo_03SVT

=]~
Established Member
if you are currently tuned for 91 octane, then putting anything in with a higher octane rating wont give you any more of a performance gain...unless you made adjustments to your tune afterwords. ie:raise/bump the timing a few degrees. but leaving your tune as it is now, and then running 94 octane will do nothing for you, as far as hp/power is concerned.

as far as the ethanol, i personally try to avoid it. fortunately where i live we have the choice of 10% blend, and 100% non- ethanol for a slightly higher price. my reason for avoiding the 10% blend is that i seemed to get even worse gas mileage than these cars get already. the car is my dd, so it sees a lot of street time.

SpectorV

Established Member
we have 93 here but for daily use I have a little timing out of it for wiggle room~ especially when its colder outside

Users who are viewing this thread