Tune only 2021 Porsche Turbo - 9.6 @ 143 mph on stock tires

FordMoCo21

Just passing through.
Established Member
Turns out Porsche actually gives you what you pay for, unlike some other companies in the supercar realm.

Edit: I'd like to clarify I'm not talking about the Ford GT, as it is as much a heritage/reunion car as it is an all out performer. Not to mention people that bought them are making money, as they literally appreciate. I'm thinking more Ferrari, Lambo, and McLaren to an extent.

Last edited:

Diablo Mike

Trinity Guy
Authorized Vendor
New F8 hauls, and Mclaren....really?
IMO most lambos underperform in the straight line metric.

FordMoCo21

Just passing through.
Established Member
New F8 hauls, and Mclaren....really?
IMO most lambos underperform in the straight line metric.

Porsche is the best value in this category of cars. The fact that we're comparing the Turbo S to the F8 and 720S just proves that, as both those cars are $60k-$100k more than the Porsche. The apples to apples would be the GT2 RS, which the F8 doesn't hold a stick to. The 720S and GT2 RS are extremely close the in the 1/4, but the GT2 RS whips the McLaren pretty good on a road course, for the same/similar MSRP. Not to mention with the Porsche you get known reliability, arguably the best interior in this class of cars, and the best dealer access. The McLaren's also tend to depreciate like a mofo and have questionable dealer practices/reliability, whereas as the GT2 RS actually appears to be appreciating.

McLaren has less history so they rely on their performance figures to stay relevant sometimes at the expense of reliability/dealership woes(although maybe this has gotten better?), Ferrari relies less on performance figures and milks their name for all it's worth, and Porsche gives you the most efficient, well rounded car for the price category, and in most cases beating the performance of the cars priced the same.

Edit: Per the below discussion, it does seem the GT2RS is slower trap in the 1/4 than the 720/F8, with very closer ET; all other points stand and especially on track (road course) performance, which is the car's whole point.

Last edited:

gofast15

Established Member
Porsche is the best value in this category of cars. The fact that we're comparing the Turbo S to the F8 and 720S just proves that, as both those cars are $60k-$100k more than the Porsche. The apples to apples would be the GT2 RS, which the F8 doesn't hold a stick to. The 720S and GT2 RS are extremely close the in the 1/4, but the GT2 RS whips the McLaren pretty good on a road course, for the same/similar MSRP. Not to mention with the Porsche you get known reliability, arguably the best interior in this class of cars, and the best dealer access. The McLaren's also tend to depreciate like a mofo and have questionable dealer practices/reliability, whereas as the GT2 RS actually appears to be appreciating.

McLaren has less history so they rely on their performance figures to stay relevant sometimes at the expense of reliability/dealership woes(although maybe this has gotten better?), Ferrari relies less on performance figures and milks their name for all it's worth, and Porsche gives you the most efficient, well rounded car for the price category, and in most cases beating the performance of the cars priced the same.

I'm guessing you haven't been around supercars much at all . Most exotic owners want exotic looking car with good exhaust / engine sound and great performance .
While the Turbo S is cool and fast , it looks and sounds like a beetle with body kit parked next to Lambo , Ferrari , McLaren etc. Buy what you like and what you can afford , if you aren't a brand whore choices are endless . I would really have a hard time spending $230K on a car that looks the same as my neighbors $30K 16 year old Carrera and sounds the same as my other neighbor's Minivan

I guess 9.7-9.8 @143-146mph vs 10.3-10.4 @134-136mph is extremely close to you

FordMoCo21

Just passing through.
Established Member
I'm guessing you haven't been around supercars much at all . Most exotic owners want exotic looking car with good exhaust / engine sound and great performance .
While the Turbo S is cool and fast , it looks and sounds like a beetle with body kit parked next to Lambo , Ferrari , McLaren etc. Buy what you like and what you can afford , if you aren't a brand whore choices are endless . I would really have a hard time spending $230K on a car that looks the same as my neighbors $30K 16 year old Carrera and sounds the same as my other neighbor's Minivan

I guess 9.7-9.8 @143-146mph vs 10.3-10.4 @134-136mph is extremely close to you
I agree on buy what you can afford. There's endless levels of that spectrum. Why stop at a McLaren right? Just get the latest Koenigsegg.

Also I made it pretty clear the real comparison is the GT2 RS vs. the 720... and yes, their 1/4 times are extremely close and the GT2 RS is faster around a track. While Porsches tend to keep their shape, an old Carrera looks nothing like a new Turbo S in person. The presence is totally different. But even if you are stuck on the $100k cheaper Turbo S, it runs the Hero Time you posted of the 720 (9.7@143+) with a tune only per the video... so not very compelling.

Been around exotics? Yeah, at the actual race track where they compete in motorsports at the manufacture level. I like watching the manufacturers duel it out on track, door to door, with cages, race tires, and getting close to the professional drivers. Porsche has always held their own and typically outperformed the competition in actual motorsport environments. Why would I care about exotic owners opinions on anything, lmao. I'm not posting opinions, I'm posting facts. There's many many exotic owners that don't know shit about their own cars. It doesn't take a genius to inherit money and go blow it on a severely depreciating asset.

I'm not trying to say I'm some supercar guru, or know what joe schmo with a Gallardo wants out of a car, all I'm saying is it's pretty clear the Porsche is the best value, with the most reliability, and nicest interior. If you're stuck on the car looking like a futuristic concept drawing, then sure, it's not for you. But this entire thread is about the performance.

Edit: Wait you had a ****ing R35 and you're complaining about Porsche looks and sound? The R35 is literally a Nissan Altima 2 door with 350z sound... But now that you're in a McLaren you're holier than thou eh?

Last edited:

FordMoCo21

Just passing through.
Established Member
No comments , that just shows how much you know about cars
"I would really have a hard time spending $230K on a car that looks the same as my neighbors $30K 16 year old Carrera and sounds the same as my other neighbor's Minivan"

And that comment proved you know so much about cars?

But sure, ignore every other line I posted, I guess it all made too much sense?

gofast15

Established Member
"I would really have a hard time spending $230K on a car that looks the same as my neighbors $30K 16 year old Carrera and sounds the same as my other neighbor's Minivan"

And that comment proved you know so much about cars?

But sure, ignore every other line I posted, I guess it all made too much sense?
I bet 99% of population [ average Joe] can't tell the difference between $30K 15 year Carrera and 2021 $230K Carrera

gofast15

Established Member
Also I made it pretty clear the real comparison is the GT2 RS vs. the 720... and yes, their 1/4 times are extremely close

Tune , full exhaust GT2RS on R compound CUP2R tires and weight reduction vs stock 720S on regular Pirelli tires

FordMoCo21

Just passing through.
Established Member
I bet 99% of population [ average Joe] can't tell the difference between $30K 15 year Carrera and 2021 $230K Carrera
That just shows how little they know about cars then. Those people probably can't tell the difference between a 10 year old Lambo and a new one either.

FordMoCo21

Just passing through.
Established Member
Tune , full exhaust GT2RS on R compound CUP2R tires and weight reduction vs stock 720S on regular Pirelli tires

So why is that blue one trapping what a stock one should?

2019 Porsche 911 GT2 RS Review, Pricing, and Specs
2018 Porsche 911 GT2 RS Weissach Edition First Test: Record Breaker

Those are 2 sources stating 139mph+ for a stock GT2 RS. Something isn't right with that blue one, especially being modded. Or the sources are straight up lying. Either way, the McLaren has the top end for sure, but that doesn't seem to be enough to overcome the GT2 RS on road courses, as it sets better times. If the GT2 RS actually runs what the sources above say, then my point stands, but if it's the norm to trap 134 stock then that is a big gap yes.

FordMoCo21

Just passing through.
Established Member
The Porsche's modest yet still aggressive looks, with their heritage and motorsport success/ongoing participation, and road course performance is what stands out to me. It's also obviously more geared towards road course success with the aggressive aero, and track focused tires. Whereas the 720S is more of a top end car with less aero, and more streetable tires at the sacrifice of lap times. The Porsche feels more like a racecar that's street legal to me, and that's my preference/bias I suppose.

gofast15

Established Member
So why is that blue one trapping what a stock one should?

2019 Porsche 911 GT2 RS Review, Pricing, and Specs
2018 Porsche 911 GT2 RS Weissach Edition First Test: Record Breaker

Those are 2 sources stating 139mph+ for a stock GT2 RS. Something isn't right with that blue one, especially being modded. Or the sources are straight up lying. Either way, the McLaren has the top end for sure, but that doesn't seem to be enough to overcome the GT2 RS on road courses, as it sets better times. If the GT2 RS actually runs what the sources above say, then my point stands, but if it's the norm to trap 134 stock then that is a big gap yes.

Maybe the magazine test cars weren't the same as production models .

FordMoCo21

Just passing through.
Established Member
Maybe the magazine test cars weren't the same as production models .

Damn, well good to know if one of these rolls up on me in the GT500 it'll actually be kind of close...

Their lap records are nothing short of amazing though considering the competition, they literally did a tour of breaking records. It really is a street legal race car, and it's doing it without a carbon fiber tub, or any other extreme measure:

gofast15

Established Member
The Porsche's modest yet still aggressive looks, with their heritage and motorsport success/ongoing participation, and road course performance is what stands out to me. It's also obviously more geared towards road course success with the aggressive aero, and track focused tires. Whereas the 720S is more of a top end car with less aero, and more streetable tires at the sacrifice of lap times. The Porsche feels more like a racecar that's street legal to me, and that's my preference/bias I suppose.
GT2Rs is a bad ass track car but it sucks for regular street use, suspension is pretty harsh on GT2RS while 720S rides like a Cadillac in comfort mode . if you look at the times on Laguna Seca for 720S 1:29.7 . I'd say it did pretty well being on regular Pirelli P zero tires 245 front and 305 rear , pretty much all the quickest tested cars were on R compound road race tires

Stop&turnFreak

Established Member
What is most impressive is that it could launch nearly that hard, on street tires, from any light on the street. Also, the Porsche can do that back to back, where a GTR can only do one or two hard launches before you start getting lights on the dash.

GOTSVT?

This Is Absolution
Established Member
I think this what kind of makes the car cool, similar to the Demon/Hellcat saga. As Dodge said, If you know, you know.

GNBRETT

Established Member
Premium Member
Beer Money Bros.
The 911 is the ultimate car. Comparing it to a Mustang in ANY way, shape or form is literally comical. Its not even a car its a freakn advanced machine that costs as much as a house.

Ive driven in one modified 911 and it was truly the ultimate driving experience. Just amazing how light it is and how well it braked and handled. This was a low 10 second 911 but the acceleration from a stop was mind boggling.

In fact, he raced my buddy in his whippled 1000 whp Mustang and destroyed him! They just hook so dam well on the street with that launch control. At the track im sure it would have been a different story but spinning aint winning.

Users who are viewing this thread