Tune novice - do I need a reflash?

CobraCleric

Youngblood
Established Member
I'm new to tunes and our car's programming.

I bought the car 7 years ago with what I believe was a diablo sport tune, but on a chip. After moving to Cali I had to take the chip out to get it smogged. I had a ford dealership do it for me, and have no idea if they reflashed it after taking out the tune.

Shortly after smog, I put the tune back in the car along with intake. It's a little late to ask this, but is it ok to just plug and unplug those chips or do I need to do anything else? Does it need a reflash every time it is taken out? After taking out or putting in the chip I drive for 50 miles, because I think I read it was needed (or told by a mechanic).

Asking because I'm back at smog, so I put on the old intake, took out the chip and drove for 80 miles. Took it in and it passed emissions but failed the functional test. The check engine light wasn't on but they said it gave them a code (will have to call them back to get the code). They are dragging their heels figuring it out and I'm wondering if it is something as simple as taking it to ford to reflash, since I didn't do that after taking the chip out, then putting 50 miles on it.

Thoughts?

97RioRedSnake

SVT
Established Member
No, your PCM should not need to be reflashed after installing or removing a performance chip. Remove the chip and you'll be operating under the stock tune, put it back in and the tune values will be pulled from the chip.

I would definitely contact the smog shop and find out what they say failed and go from there.

Users who are viewing this thread