Tune = engine fan not shutting off?

kevinp

Established Member
I recently bought a CAI and tune package, the tune seems to be OK, really wakes the car up, but the cooling fan never shuts off when the car is running. The people who wrote the tune say they do it on purpose so the fan runs at 40% all the time and goes up from there, it even runs when its stone cold in the morning. I assume its done since there are no lower temp thermostats available yet they are trying to keep the engine temp down to avoid detonation.

Even at 40% its a pretty good sized electrical draw, not to mention I dont think the fan is made to run all the time. Just curious if all tunes do this or just the one I'm using?

Last edited:

ktorres1

Established Member
If I were you I would not like this feature in my tune. I had a replacement non OEM fan in my 03 marauder that did this and it burnt out within a matter of days.

kevinp

Established Member
If I were you I would not like this feature in my tune. I had a replacement non OEM fan in my 03 marauder that did this and it burnt out within a matter of days.

I dont really like it :)

I was just wondering if its the 'normal' thing to do. I'm used to tuning my own cars (GM LS engines) and I'm not so much into this canned tune thing where I cant even adjust fan on/off temps.

FWP!

Established Member
Yea that would annoy me a good amount. See if you can get them to send you a new tune with that deleted.

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
Is it normal for a tune to utilize more from the fan than the stock calibrations? Yes.

Is it normal that they run 100% of the time? No.

Who did you get the tune from?

kevinp

Established Member
Yea that would annoy me a good amount. See if you can get them to send you a new tune with that deleted.

I asked, and complained, but it seems its part of their tune and they pretty much said thats the way it was. I'm sure they are trying to keep the temps down so they car run aggressive timing, but to have the fan going all the time when its 35* out doesnt make a lot of sense since the thermostat wont let it get any cooler than 195. They seemed nice enough on the phone and fixed another issue but didnt want to change the fan settings.

I wont say who it is since a lot of people are happy with their tunes and I dont want to start a pissing match on the internet, I'm sure a lot of people dont care if the fan runs all the time. If others have 93 octane auto tunes that dont run the fan all the time I'll just try another tune from someone else. Maybe all the tuners are doing it since there are no lower temp thermostats available yet..

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
I asked, and complained, but it seems its part of their tune and they pretty much said thats the way it was. I'm sure they are trying to keep the temps down so they car run aggressive timing, but to have the fan going all the time when its 35* out doesnt make a lot of sense since the thermostat wont let it get any cooler than 195. They seemed nice enough on the phone and fixed another issue but didnt want to change the fan settings.

I wont say who it is since a lot of people are happy with their tunes and I dont want to start a pissing match on the internet, I'm sure a lot of people dont care if the fan runs all the time. If others have 93 octane auto tunes that dont run the fan all the time I'll just try another tune from someone else. Maybe all the tuners are doing it since there are no lower temp thermostats available yet..

Well it's possible that the fans are only active during certain driving situations. My old tuned 08 GT would run the fans even when cold. However as soon as the car comes up to speed the fans turn off, as the airflow through the radiator takes over.

It's possible your car is doing this.

Every tuned car I've ever had has run the fans quite a bit. It's an easy way to guarantee a cool engine that you can get more power out of.

I wouldn't say there's anything "wrong" though. If it annoys you, simply consider not having the car tuned. There are always trade-offs when you start getting into this.

kevinp

Established Member
Well it's possible that the fans are only active during certain driving situations. My old tuned 08 GT would run the fans even when cold. However as soon as the car comes up to speed the fans turn off, as the airflow through the radiator takes over.

It's possible your car is doing this.

Every tuned car I've ever had has run the fans quite a bit. It's an easy way to guarantee a cool engine that you can get more power out of.

I wouldn't say there's anything "wrong" though. If it annoys you, simply consider not having the car tuned. There are always trade-offs when you start getting into this.

I didnt say anything was wrong, thats why I'm asking here if its normal practice, I'm new to the whole Ford thing. I've always tuned my own EFI cars, had pretty good luck over the last 12 years or so but the tuning options are limited on these. I'm sure there is a certain mph that they shut off (at least I hope so anyhow), but that doesnt do much in city driving. Nor does running it from a cold start, but maybe there is a limitation in the tuning software and thats the only way to do it.

I have no problem with dropping the fan temps, but naturally the thermostat is going to dictate the engine temp no matter how hard you run the fans. Running the fan 100% at 196* pulling air through an ice cold radiator doesnt get a whole lot done. Its takes quite a bit of current to run the fan and you are paying through the alternator having to work harder so its not free.

Like I said I dont want to start an internet tuner pissing match, just want to know if everyone does something similar, if they do its no big deal. I'm sure it will change once there is a lower temp thermostat available so its not that big of an issue, annoyance maybe, but not an issue ;)

Last edited:

phil h

Established Member
How soon till the D1 goes on kp? I remember you from the tech days and showing people what a D1sc would really do. Even with the stock restrictive inlet they (supposedly) had :rolleyes:. I seen the name kp and i thought to myself, surley not, but i guess you have came to the darkside. I am looking at getting one myself pretty soon. I feel pretty much the same way about these cars as when the LS platform came out in the F-Body in 98. Only difference is that these have good trannies and a good ol 8.8 that will take some power.

Anyway back to your tuning issue and good luck with it..

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
im not sure about the canned tune you got. but my Buddy with a 2011 manual got a custom tune an does not have that issue of the fan turning all the time. to be honest unless you asked for a Race type tune your fan should only turn on when the car reaches operating temps or when the A/C is turned on. the 5.0 being N/A should not even run into cooling issues

kevinp

Established Member
How soon till the D1 goes on kp? I remember you from the tech days and showing people what a D1sc would really do. Even with the stock restrictive inlet they (supposedly) had :rolleyes:. I seen the name kp and i thought to myself, surley not, but i guess you have came to the darkside. I am looking at getting one myself pretty soon. I feel pretty much the same way about these cars as when the LS platform came out in the F-Body in 98. Only difference is that these have good trannies and a good ol 8.8 that will take some power.

Anyway back to your tuning issue and good luck with it..

I have been thinking about a procharger of course, maybe after 1000 miles :) That crappy inlet got me well into the 8s lol, but you know how it is on the internet..

I'm with you though, these cars kinda remind me of 1998 all over again as well, the LS engines are awesome but man that new Camaro is just fugly and I'm burned out on corvettes. I have all the LS tools and tuning stuff but I figured it was time for a change. Picked up a 2010 GT500 a while ago, liked the car but I got a bad one and got out of it quick. After driving one of these with an auto I thought it could be fun, time will tell and I dont mind trying something new.

Hard to beat these for the money as well, if I remember the first z28 I bought in 99 wasnt much cheaper than this one with all the incentives they have now.

I'm not that worried about the tune, I just found out that they have tuning software for these I can use along with the SCT SF3 so I'll probably go that route and tune it myself. I have HPtuner here as well but no word when they are releasing 2011 support.

im not sure about the canned tune you got. but my Buddy with a 2011 manual got a custom tune an does not have that issue of the fan turning all the time. to be honest unless you asked for a Race type tune your fan should only turn on when the car reaches operating temps or when the A/C is turned on. the 5.0 being N/A should not even run into cooling issues

I may be calling the tune wrong, I call any mail order tune 'canned' but apparently many call them custom tunes I guess. I agree though, if it was a race tune I could see it. Like I said its not a big deal, in the summer I would probably have not noticed it but its funny to hear the fan running full blast in the car when you pull up to a stoplight and its 30 degrees out. I cant find any way to log the fan duty cycle with the SCT so I have no idea if its running when driving.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
I have been thinking about a procharger of course, maybe after 1000 miles :) That crappy inlet got me well into the 8s lol, but you know how it is on the internet..

I'm with you though, these cars kinda remind me of 1998 all over again as well, the LS engines are awesome but man that new Camaro is just fugly and I'm burned out on corvettes. I have all the LS tools and tuning stuff but I figured it was time for a change. Picked up a 2010 GT500 a while ago, liked the car but I got a bad one and got out of it quick. After driving one of these with an auto I thought it could be fun, time will tell and I dont mind trying something new.

Hard to beat these for the money as well, if I remember the first z28 I bought in 99 wasnt much cheaper than this one with all the incentives they have now.

I'm not that worried about the tune, I just found out that they have tuning software for these I can use along with the SCT SF3 so I'll probably go that route and tune it myself. I have HPtuner here as well but no word when they are releasing 2011 support.

I may be calling the tune wrong, I call any mail order tune 'canned' but apparently many call them custom tunes I guess. I agree though, if it was a race tune I could see it. Like I said its not a big deal, in the summer I would probably have not noticed it but its funny to hear the fan running full blast in the car when you pull up to a stoplight and its 30 degrees out. I cant find any way to log the fan duty cycle with the SCT so I have no idea if its running when driving.

sorry I should have explained better. He got a custom dyno tune from AED. So no mail order tune. In you hand held is there an.option to set fan temps?

Impetuous

Common sense isn't common
Established Member
I am one of the folks who are currently interested in a tune and would love to know what tuner(shop) you went with. I do care about running the fan all the time since it doesn't sound like good practice. I rather avoid this tuner at all cost since I'm not about to be buying fans for the heck of it. Also, newer engines tend to run better(daily driving) at hotter temperatures.

Thank you and good luck with it.

kevinp

Established Member
sorry I should have explained better. He got a custom dyno tune from AED. So no mail order tune. In you hand held is there an.option to set fan temps?

Its up to the tuner to unlock certain things you can change and the fan settings isnt one of them. Its not an option in the SCT preloaded tune either so there may be more to it than just simple on/off temp settings and thats why they arent available. Matter of fact there are very few options in the SCT tune unlike the older cars, couple CAIs, rev limiter, gears, tire diameter, idle speed, global spark and thats about it.

I am one of the folks who are currently interested in a tune and would love to know what tuner(shop) you went with. I do care about running the fan all the time since it doesn't sound like good practice. I rather avoid this tuner at all cost since I'm not about to be buying fans for the heck of it. Also, newer engines tend to run better(daily driving) at hotter temperatures.

Thank you and good luck with it.

I have been around automotive forums for many years, and the last thing I want to do is say who it is because its a popular tuner and I have seen no complaints about them. I had some idle issues and they gladly fixed it quick, but they didnt want to (or werent able to) change the fan settings. Its their tune so thats their deal, I've spent 75.00 on dumber things.

Best call and ask anyone who you are thinking of buying a tune from if the fans will be on all the time - if I buy another I will ask. Most likely I'll pick up the advantage III software and do my own tuning since I plan on doing a few different combos on this car so I'll have to figure it out sooner or later on my own.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
Its up to the tuner to unlock certain things you can change and the fan settings isnt one of them. Its not an option in the SCT preloaded tune either so there may be more to it than just simple on/off temp settings and thats why they arent available. Matter of fact there are very few options in the SCT tune unlike the older cars, couple CAIs, rev limiter, gears, tire diameter, idle speed, global spark and thats about it.

I have been around automotive forums for many years, and the last thing I want to do is say who it is because its a popular tuner and I have seen no complaints about them. I had some idle issues and they gladly fixed it quick, but they didnt want to (or werent able to) change the fan settings. Its their tune so thats their deal, I've spent 75.00 on dumber things.

Best call and ask anyone who you are thinking of buying a tune from if the fans will be on all the time - if I buy another I will ask. Most likely I'll pick up the advantage III software and do my own tuning since I plan on doing a few different combos on this car so I'll have to figure it out sooner or later on my own.

Based off the info you provided it sounds like the turner you chose did not allow you to have options. I'm glad you are happy with your tune but it.would be.nice for your tuner to give you the tire option gear option your basic stuff. I still would watch out with the fan on all the time as it could burn up faster an makes the alt work harder.

SVT_4_me

Established Member
i'm pretty sure he got his tune from Bama...

i can understand why you would not want to post the name of your tuner, but remember we are enthusiasts here to help each other. and, it's not like you are bashing the tuner you are just stating a characteristic of their tune...

Last edited:

kevinp

Established Member
Based off the info you provided it sounds like the turner you chose did not allow you to have options. I'm glad you are happy with your tune but it.would be.nice for your tuner to give you the tire option gear option your basic stuff. I still would watch out with the fan on all the time as it could burn up faster an makes the alt work harder.

I never said I was happy with it, I said a lot of others are and why argue about it, if they like it who am I to be a buzzkill. I am just using the pre-loaded SCT tune now, its better than stock and will keep me entertained for a couple days. The 'custom' tune definitely runs harder, at least as far as dragging the shift points out and it hits 2nd gear pretty hard on the shift, I'll do some track testing in the future and see for sure.

Things like gear options, tires, rev limit etc are adjustable on their tune, but not fan settings, those same options are available for the preloaded SCT tunes. But its also possible the fan setting on 2011s cant be adjusted with the SCT just yet so I dont know, if someone has another tune and they can adjust adjust the fans I'd like to hear about it.

The SCT tune doesnt run the fan from startup, but it does run the fan around 50% or so at 195 degrees and since the thermostat is closed around there it never really shuts off either (40 degrees today), stock the fans look like 220* on and 205* off from what I gather watching the logger. The custom tune kicks the fan into high gear around 195 degrees and its on at around 1/2 speed from the second you start the car even if its 30 degrees out and the ect is 35*. Most likely it goes into a lower speed or off at a certain speed with any tune, I just have no way to know. And if it does its probably not that big of deal really.

Last edited:

kevinp

Established Member
i'm pretty sure he got his tune from Bama...

i can understand why you would not want to post the name of your tuner, but remember we are enthusiasts here to help each other. and, it's not like you are bashing the tuner you are just stating a characteristic of their tune...

All it takes is a search of my posts to see and we have a winner :) Its not that big of a deal and like I said until someone says otherwise there is a good chance they all do the same things with the fan setting.

I dont know enough about these yet to bash anyone and thats not my intention at all, was just looking for some information. Mustang guys seem more geared towards buying tunes than doing it themselves, at least I havent found a forum thats getting into any real good tuning info yet on these. Not that there is anything wrong with that, most people dont have the time to deal with tuning their own car.

SVT_4_me

Established Member
i am running a Bama 93 race tune on my car, but i have not noticed the fan running all the time. it may be that way, but i have not noticed. my car has been garaged for over a month, so when i get it back out i will definitely pay attention to the fan. i am not running their CAI tune though... i just have the race tune with a K&N drop in filter.

Users who are viewing this thread