Tune 2012 5.0 automatic

Snake40

Established Member
I want to ask this without starting a war , if possible. I'm looking for recomendations for who to use to tune 2012 5.0 automatic. I'm asking because I'm concerned with shift quality as much as power. I love the auto but its slow to downshift ans shifts too softly. Car will have typical air intake and exhaust mods. PM experiences if necessary";-)
Thanks, Mike

scotmach

Established Member
You do know a search would net you tons of info don't you? This has been discussed at great length here.

11dsgGT

Established Member
I have tried 4 different tuners trying to find the shifting that would be best for me and found that it isn't going to happen with an E tune. In order for you to find the "best" fit for downshifting is to have a tuner who will work with you in a Dyno Tune.

I go to the track every weekend so downshifting is not as high as a concern for me. While street driving I wanted a trans tune focusing on MPG, so the stock tune suited me. The thing I have found is that if the tuner implements a tune with downshifting they also raise the shiftpoints to 2500/3000 rpm reducing MPG by 4-5. Shifting at a higer RPM solves most of your downshifting concerns, because the tranny will only have to downshift one gear.

Also, learning the auto shiftpoints helped me a lot. Like knowing how much throttle to give it so the transmission wont upshift, or knowing that simply keeping the car at a higher RPM makes the transmission shift lightning fast. Downshifting/WOT below 2300rpm with the stock tune will undoubtedly lead to one of those grueling 2 sec downshifts.

Snake40

Established Member
I have tried 4 different tuners trying to find the shifting that would be best for me and found that it isn't going to happen with an E tune. In order for you to find the "best" fit for downshifting is to have a tuner who will work with you in a Dyno Tune.

I go to the track every weekend so downshifting is not as high as a concern for me. While street driving I wanted a trans tune focusing on MPG, so the stock tune suited me. The thing I have found is that if the tuner implements a tune with downshifting they also raise the shiftpoints to 2500/3000 rpm reducing MPG by 4-5. Shifting at a higer RPM solves most of your downshifting concerns, because the tranny will only have to downshift one gear.

Also, learning the auto shiftpoints helped me a lot. Like knowing how much throttle to give it so the transmission wont upshift, or knowing that simply keeping the car at a higher RPM makes the transmission shift lightning fast. Downshifting/WOT below 2300rpm with the stock tune will undoubtedly lead to one of those grueling 2 sec downshifts.

Thanks. That's exactly the input I was looking for that's hard to get in a search.

cobra199711

Established Member
When I had my auto VMP was best and ran great 12.4? in quarter at 114.?? On street tires. this is from testing a couple tunes as well.

04compgt

Established Member
I honestly found that there was no tune out there for me. I tried several tuners and was not happy at all, however I am more picky than others and I knew exactly what I wanted. I decided to just go ahead and get the pro racer package and tune the car myself to what I wanted. I am extremely happy now. I really wish you the best of luck in finding a tune that makes you happy.

Snake40

Established Member
I honestly found that there was no tune out there for me. I tried several tuners and was not happy at all, however I am more picky than others and I knew exactly what I wanted. I decided to just go ahead and get the pro racer package and tune the car myself to what I wanted. I am extremely happy now. I really wish you the best of luck in finding a tune that makes you happy.

Thanks for your reply.
What were you looking for that you couldn't "find" with the better tuners? Thx,Mike

04compgt

Established Member
Thanks for your reply.
What were you looking for that you couldn't "find" with the better tuners? Thx,Mike

Well in my case I have a converter. But I was looking for quick downshifts, part throttle single gear downshift I.e 30% throttle and it will kick down 1 gear. I was also looking for quick shifts not tire burning shifts. I wanted the car to shift like stock at part throttle. I didnt want my converter to lock up so hard at part throttle that it felt like my rear end would break. So considering I wanted all these things, tuners thought this was too much work so I took matters into my own hands and couldn't be happier.

DIB5.0

Established Member
Brookspeeds auto tune is very good. Very close to what 04compgt describes.

Snake40

Established Member
Thanks for all the replies and PM's. Youve been a great help.
The Pro Racer sounds like a great fit but would probably be over my head!

Yellow03snake

Established Member
Thanks for all the replies and PM's. Youve been a great help.
The Pro Racer sounds like a great fit but would probably be over my head!

I switched over to AED from another tuner last week.

I've never been more happy with the service he provided in all my 25 years of being around the car hobby :beer:

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
Since you want a dyno op conact a tuner in the area also you could try to contact shaun at aed an see if he recommends anyone in the area for you. He works with other tuners around the country

Users who are viewing this thread