Tubular K-member?

KC/COBRA

Fear The Cornholio
Established Member
I'm very confused on what to do here. I have been upgrading my suspension in stages and I'm not sure on this K-member thing.

Whats on the car: H&R(red) race springs in rear only.
Aftermarket upper and lower control arms
MM panhard bar
MM full length sfc's (welded)

Not installed yet :Tokico D-spec shocks and struts
:MM coil over kit front only
:MM tubular A-arms (stock geometry)
:MM strut tower brace
:MM caster/camber plates
:MM aluminum rack bushings
I wanted to get the tubular K-member directly from MM when I was ordering this other stuff that is not installed yet, but he didn't recommend it.
Reason given was I would have to make some "modifications" to the wheel well because it would move my wheels forward 3/4 inch. And since it's a 93 Cobra he didn't recommend it.
I didn't ask for specifics so I didn't order it.
But I really want to lighten(and the other benefits) my Cobra and I'm not in a hurry on this stuff.
I just want to make the best decision possible on which K-member to get and as soon as I think I know which one to get and then I here some people talking bad about that brand.

I would like to get one that would go with out to many issues.
Remember that I got the tubular A-arms that are stock geometry.

My goal for my car = a car that does everything really well but is still streetable. I would like to do some auto-crossing and get some time on a real race track (Topeka road coarse)? Maybe a couple of visits to the 1/4 mile. I'm in Kansas City.
You guys might have noticed that I copied some of you guys and listened to your advise in previous threads. The panhard bar is awesome btw.

In no particular order

1: AJE (good price)
2: UPR (good price) but have heard a lot of bad things, but see A LOT of people run them.
3: Other brands that I'm not thinking of?

As you can see I'm needing some good advice from you guys again.
If it matters my car is not a cream puff, it has 86k and is in need of a new paint job. <next project probably

Thanks guys

Kurt

Last edited:

buddha93

Established Member
Personally, I'd stay away from the UPR stuff. I know a lot of guys use their stuff, but just my 2 cents.

AJE, yep he's got good stuff, but I still wouldn't buy his K-member for street and road race use.

Why not stick with MM parts? Those guys are serious road racers and the parts are proven. I know they're pricier, but you get what you pay for in my book. Those things are stout! Check out some of the guys that are dealers over on the Corral and see what kind of deal they can make you.

rw93cobra

Established Member
I bought a pa racing k-member for my 93 lx. My wheels are still at the stock location, and I also got the "road racing package(they no longer call it that I believe)" that gives you thicker walled chromoly tubing. Basically when I was looking for one, I wanted one that was strong and kept my wheels at the stock location.

emoore3278

Established Member
i did a full MM suspension project in late 2008, and it's amazing!

stayed away from the coilovers, as MM said i could get everything I wanted without having issues with noise and more agressive installation requirements.

i see you are in KC...the '93 isn't put away for winter storage yet so we can meet and see what a finished product drives like if you want.

buddha93

Established Member
i see you are in KC...the '93 isn't put away for winter storage yet so we can meet and see what a finished product drives like if you want.

WOW! If your serious about do a little road racing, there's an offer you can't refuse.

Do any of you guys run up to that track in Iowa off of 29? I think it's before Soiux City.

Ackman70

Established Member
You will run into some interference issues with the MM but nothing that cannot be dealt with. It's the only one I'd recommend. Stay away from the "others".

fivestangs

Established Member
Another option if you just want to improve the suspension geometry is to mod the stock k-member. You'll get the benefit of better geometry and keep the strength of the stock k-member...of course, you won't lose any weight going that route, but it does keep your wheels in the stock location.

KC/COBRA

Fear The Cornholio
Established Member
i did a full MM suspension project in late 2008, and it's amazing!

stayed away from the coilovers, as MM said i could get everything I wanted without having issues with noise and more agressive installation requirements.

Well hello there Erin! Well I have already driven your car once and your 10th Ann. one too! This is Kurt, you were nice enough to let me drive both cars last year and it handled very good imo. I should of just called you for this question. When your MM K-member was installed did they have to "modify" anything in the fender well area or roll the lips or anything of that nature?

As you can see I'm getting close to finishing up the suspension here pretty soon. Again, thanks for letting me drive your two awesome red Cobra's!

KC/COBRA

Fear The Cornholio
Established Member
WOW! If your serious about do a little road racing, there's an offer you can't refuse.

Do any of you guys run up to that track in Iowa off of 29? I think it's before Soiux City.

No, I didn't know there was a track up there. Whats the name? Hey, we should make a trip up there in the spring and have some fun!! I've never been on anything but a drag strip before and I'm dying to do so. Is there any tracks in Missouri? I'm pretty sure there is one at Heartland Park in Topeka but not 100% sure on that.

emoore3278

Established Member
hey kurt!!!

i remember having you down to the house when you picked up the shorties...didn't remember if the MM kit was installed when we met and toured the neighborhood. I did the two point kmember as MM explained that the four point kmember wouldn't fit with the long tube headers i have installed so don't know what mods would be required for the four point. I do know the MM kit with the panhard bar makes it a tight fit in the rear and i do have a little contact with the larger exhaust pipes...but it's all good!

KC/COBRA

Fear The Cornholio
Established Member
Thanks for all the help and advise guys. I'm going to Larson Race Cars probably this Friday and get an estimate on installing my new stuff. I will get Larry's opinion on the K-member among other things.

Hey Buddha I'm thinking you need to make the 3 hour drive up to KC and then we'll go to the track at Heartland Park Topeka. It would be about an hour drive from here and we can see if anyone else wants to go like Erin(emoore3278) etc.

emoore3278

Established Member
could be fun...btw: I have gotten comfortable with the staff at the midas at 119th and metcalf...they have done all my '93 Cobra work (full MM installation), some work on my '03 terminator...and did lots of work on my '93 Typhoon in past years.

if you want a local option in OP...let me know and I"ll make an introduction.

D3RACING

Established Member
K Member

AJE makes a road race K Member. Gotta call or go on ther site. I got a new in box AJE for your fox if your interested shoot me a email.

tunedin302

Runnin' with the devil
Established Member
I had very similar intentions with my car and stayed away from changing the k-member, as per MM advice. Here's a list of front suspension parts that keeps the stock wheelbase and trackwidth:

Camber/caster MMCC9093
Bilstein HD struts V36-4138-H5
Coilover kit (325lb) COP-1
Tubular front arms MMFCA-1
Endlinks 19-413-BL
K member brace (2 pt) MMK2-1

For the rear I run FMS uppers, MM lowers, PHB, Bilstein HD and coils. I may eventually look into the TA as MM states the upper arms will be destroyed with any kind of power to the ground. Also, I ran into huge issues with the exhaust and the PHB. I ended up having custom tails installed by a true professional exhaust guy. He took his time over the course of 2 days, removed the PHB, and was able to clear all the components with custom bent 2.5" SS piping. Just an FYI as it took me almost a year before I could find anyone that had the confidence to tackle the exhaust job.

buddha93

Established Member
Interesting that MM steered two of you guys away from it's k-member. Usually companies will try and sell you everything under the sun. Says a lot in my book.

KC/Cobra, thanks for the invite. That would be a bit of a haul for me, so I'd have to make a weekend out of it or something. I'd be more interested in the drag strip for my car. It's more of a straight line car than anything. It looks to be a really nice track. I've driven by it several times going up north to visit relatives.

drudis

Established Member
I did the Griggs K-member with HD adjustable control arms
griggs56.jpg

img_2565.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread