TT Setup w/ mechanical oil pressure gauge???

cb900f

Established Member
Is anyone running a mechanical oil pressure gauge with a TT "Christmas Tree" setup? Did you just add another T and put it in there? Is there anywhere else to put a true oil pressure sender? (BTW, it's so dumb that Ford uses a oil pressure switch)

fulanititoo8198

Established Member
My T looks like a starfish, but it works. MMR Oil filter relocation kit makes for a cleaner install and it's already tapped. They sell the oil filter sandwich plates with threads on it as well. Once mine is apart again or I build the motor I'm going with the MMR setup.

Last edited:

debit_free_2010

Established Member
I'm presuming you're asking about running a mechanical oil pressure gauge into the car. Not a good idea, Use an electric gauge.

You can use a sandwich adapter or just install a T off the stock sender. Parts are $6 from Lowes.

BigPoppa

Hope you enjoy the show
Established Member
Yeah, mechanical gauges are not really a "best practice" choice anymore. Go with an electric sender. You can find them starting at about $12 for the sender, just add adapter and gauge.

cb900f

Established Member
Sorry i meant an electrical gauge. I just find it crazy to have 3 T's off one port. Just assumed there was another somewhere to tap.

5lho

Established Member
Hehe, WAY back in the day, I owned an english Capri gen 1, 1972. That sucker had a bourdon tube into the back of the stock oil pressure gauge t'd off the block. Pull the dash and get a hot puddle of oil on the carpet. Bear in mind...it was the only gauge that worked on that car.

stangn

Established Member
Think if I had to use the mechanical I would not use the plastic line they supply, that's for sure. I believe a mechanical gauge is more reliable as well. You could use the ptfe lined braided hose and never have to worry. I'd be more concerned with a leak in the engine compartment then the interior. Don't think the carpet will cause the oil to catch fire but it will make a mess.

Everyone's seen oil in an engine bay go into flames fast. Extra fast while being fueled with outside air while driving.

Fabbed5.0

Established Member
"Dummy" light works very well, I shattered my OPG and because of the light, I shut it off. No damage was done to the engine, and still runs great to this day (actually I went 9.2@147 3 weeks later still stock motor)

basspro302

Established Member
Think if I had to use the mechanical I would not use the plastic line they supply, that's for sure. I believe a mechanical gauge is more reliable as well. You could use the ptfe lined braided hose and never have to worry. I'd be more concerned with a leak in the engine compartment then the interior. Don't think the carpet will cause the oil to catch fire but it will make a mess.

Everyone's seen oil in an engine bay go into flames fast. Extra fast while being fueled with outside air while driving.

Mechanical gauges suck for oil and fuel pressure. You don't want hot oil spraying in your face if it breaks and It will probably leak like mine did (I didn't install it came in this jeep I bought) the electrical sending units are very reliable now. The only mechanical gauge you shoul have should be in your tool box like a fuel pressure, compression, oil pressure testers. It's also pretty hard to ignite oil I haven't ever seen an engine oil fire. I have seen trans fluid fires and fuel. I'm not saying it's impossible to have an engine oil fire just unlikely.

stangn

Established Member
Basspro302:
Your all over on this. You say mechanical gauges should be in the tool box, I assume for trouble shooting. But are unreliable?

If you haven't seen an engine oil fire, Google it. Hell a yellow GT350 just got posted kicking out a rod and engulfed in oil flames, dyno oil fires and many more.

No I would not put a mechanical oil or fuel gauge in my Whipple GT but I would only look at a transducer signal as an idiot light. On or off.

Good luck with your Jeep.

Users who are viewing this thread